Alternate apps for Stratus?

Jeff Cutler

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jeff
Think this has been posted before, but as my ForeFlight subscription nears renewal at the end of the month, thought I'd ask if there's been anything that comes close to FF, more affordably, as functionally --- trade offs, or keep going with the same basic subscription for the past year, opting out of the premium.

I like Garmin Pilot as a close second to FF. I tried a few others including Wing X and some way less popular, but FF wins out every time.

Doesn't work with Stratus though.

I'll vote FltPlan Go as it does everything I need for free. I've tried all the free trials and nothing stands out to me as a must have to justify the money.

Edit: They also have a good website with various tools and a decent interface to manage your flights. So I can plan 10 flights in advance and just pop them easily into the app (and vice versa).

Last edited:
FltPlan Go does basically everything a person needs. I keep thinking I'm gonna switch to FF but I continue to see no reason to.

And it's free.

Your post and the title don't match.

(1) are there "Alternate apps for Stratus" and (2) "is there anything that comes close to ForeFlight?" are two completely different questions.

As to #1, sure. There are plenty of excellent apps out there with all the basic functionality of ForeFlight. The differences among all the iOS, Android, and now a few Windows apps are mostly interface - how is the information displayed and how to get around the app. That's a lot of personal preference stuff.

As to #2, well, if you have a Stratus there might be only one other choice. Stratus was designed and intended to work with ForeFlight exclusively. The folks at Seattle Avionics managed to get it to work with FlyQ, but only if the Stratus is still using the version 1.x firmware. If you have updated Stratus to version 2.x, it's ForeFlight only.

Stratus is only supported by FF. FlyQ can read stratus data but Seattle avionics doesn't have an agreement with appareo /sportys/foreflight so there could be problems reading the data. Appareo claims other folks aren't reading the data with 100% accuracy.

Edit: just checked and flyq works with firmware v. 2.1 on a stratus 2

Stratus is only supported by FF. FlyQ can read stratus data but Seattle avionics doesn't have an agreement with appareo /sportys/foreflight so there could be problems reading the data. Appareo claims other folks aren't reading the data with 100% accuracy.

Edit: just checked and flyq works with firmware v. 2.1 on a stratus 2

Dat's what I was looking for. Figured Appareo had a lock on things. So roll over to another year, but I've been totally satisfied with FF basic. Thanks for all the input!

Dat's what I was looking for. Figured Appareo had a lock on things. So roll over to another year, but I've been totally satisfied with FF basic. Thanks for all the input!

In case you do tire of FF, the homemade stratux has worked well for a lot of people including myself and is compatible with other apps too. Can be made for $120.

Back