C-182 landing info

MikeLima

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
MikeLima
Do any of you 182 pilots care to share with me your "standard" speeds/configurations for standard pattern landings?

I am a low time pilot. Obtained my certificate in a 150 and have been signed off in a Piper Colt and Cessna 182. My 182 sign off was barely an hour of instruction and I've been searching for the "right" configurations for landing and I'm kind of all over the board right now. I'm sure I am going to get several different "standards" but it will be helpful just to give me some idea of what speeds people are shooting for on downwind and/or what power setting they are using. I've been making adjustments but it seems like I end up way too often with 40 degrees of flaps AND powering in.

Please do not let this become an argument of whose "standard" is the best. I'm sure there are hundreds of "correct" ways to land a 182 and I'm just looking for some things to try to see what I like best.

ML

What model 182 are you flying?

I would of course preference this by saying look at the poh (classic) for your exact model

I have a 182T personally on a normal pattern I set up On downwind 100kts either zero flaps or flaps 10, then Transition to 90 abeam the numbers when I start the descent, then on base leg with 20 flaps and 80kts, and on final I use 70kts flaps 30 for a normal landing( the T 182 variant only has 30 degrees of flaps) then over the threshold I just gently reduce it to idle. It's a nose heavy plane as your aware so be mindful of that with your trim/ and flare

Last edited:
what does the POH have to say? if you don't have one might I suggest you obtain one for the specific model 182 you'll be flying.

C182Q-

Downwind trimmed for 80kts, Base 75kts and Final 70kts. Over the numbers bring power to idle and have it trimmed nose high.

Basically the approach speeds are 5kts faster than a 172, except the handling is a little different.

Keep in mind the 182P has 40deg flaps, but 30 is typically all that is required unless you're high and fast.

Last edited:
I come in slow all the time in a 182C. Final at 60mph and 30 degrees of flaps, trim all the way nose up for a normal landing 55 for shorter operations. I started at an approach speed of 75 but that was excessive.

I come in slow all the time in a 182C. Final at 60mph and 30 degrees of flaps, trim all the way nose up for a normal landing 55 for shorter operations. I started at an approach speed of 75 but that was excessive.

60mph?!?! That's 52knots! That seems a bit slow? What's the stall speed in the C model?

You obviously know you're plane better than I do, I'm just curious! Not questioning your judgement and flying at all

60mph?!?! That's 52knots! That seems a bit slow? What's the stall speed in the C model?

You obviously know you're plane better than I do, I'm just curious! Not questioning your judgement and flying at all
The bottom of the white arc is 55. With power and 30 degrees of flaps it will stop flying at about 45. It has wing tip extensions and is very light. If I'm fully loaded (2900 lbs), 70 mph is a better idea.

Remember all those v speeds were based on FULL GROSS

If you're full flaps and adding power sounds like you're dragging it in, I'd go for more of a steep and slow approach, slip if needed.

One of the latest metal landing calculators will calibrate for your specific model. Spin left, spin right read number in box. Simple.

Remember all those v speeds were based on FULL GROSS

If you're full flaps and adding power sounds like you're dragging it in, I'd go for more of a steep and slow approach, slip if needed.

Agreed on steep and slow. I fly pretty flat relative to the horizon (wing to horizon, not descent angle.) with just enough throttle to keep the engine happy. I will use 40 degrees if I'm too high but they don't make for a slower landing speed.

Last edited:
full up trim almost always ,electric trim is great.,especially if you got to go around .

This.
I always try to fly my approaches at an angle where I could make the pavement if the engine failed on me. I've seen some that will fly a flat approach with full flaps, heavily relying on power to get them to the runway. Bad practice IMO!

In general, my experience in a 182Q (w/ Horton tips, to be sure) is that slower is usually better. As noted above, dragging it in strikes me as "driving" the airplane to a landing rather than skillful aviating. A "steep" approach (you know about this from the Colt) works nicely...you should look like you're coming down onto a table (the runway). 40 flaps is fine, just keep trimming back and remember you'll have some work to do in the event of a rejected landing/go-around. 65 kts over the fence always seems about right. Fly safely, and enjoy that Skylane!

In general, my experience in a 182Q (w/ Horton tips, to be sure) is that slower is usually better. A "steep" approach (you know about this from the Colt) works nicely...you should look like you're coming down onto a table (the runway). 40 flaps is fine, just keep trimming back and remember you'll have some work to do in the event of a rejected landing/go-around. 65 kts over the fence always seems about right. Fly safely, and enjoy that Skylane!
For me, 70kts over the fence w/ 30 flap is ideal. 65kts with 40 flap would seem closer to the short field range imo. 40 flap makes it sink like a rock and having a little extra airspeed will assist in getting the nose up during the flare. Just my opinion.

But then again, I've never flown one with Horton Tips.

Probably the bigger issue for the new 182 driver is the final power reduction. Do it in the flare and there is the risk of dropping in nosewheel first. May well be the main cause of damage to 182s.

I like my approaches slow. 65 KIAS for a normal landing in all models I have access to, with full flap. 60 for a short field, maybe less if the conditions are good (with a fair amount of power all the way to touchdown). Half the gust factor if appropriate.

Mark's point about power reduction is important. I was originally trained to do it with the mains already on the ground. These days, I do it as soon as the runway is "made," usually over the fence.

In a 172, you can do it in the flare. A 182 won't like it much.

Obviously, there are .at least a few techniques that deliver reproducible, safe results. I don't believe all pilots fly the same (nor should they), they develop profiles and configurations that work for them. I've known 182 jump-plane pilots that advocated full flaps, full up trim, and power to hold 65 kts all the way down final...just not my style.

To me, part of a 182 personality is strong short-field performance; I like steep and slow with a nice round-out onto the main gear followed by a short roll-out. My feelings are hurt if I can't make the first turn-off (my feelings are often hurt, btw)

Thanks for the info. Mine is a 182P.

It sounds like I have beeen carrying more speed on the downwind than is practicable. I'm thinking that is the source of my issue: too much speed causing me to carry my downwind farther than I'd like before I lose enough speed to start my decent which in turn puts my on a long final and dragging it in. I will start slowing up earlier in the pattern so I can make more of my normal Colt/150 type landings. (Of course, with the Colt it is slip to landing vs 40* flaps).

Again, thanks for the info and feel free to keep adding more.

ML

I like my approaches slow. 65 KIAS for a normal landing in all models I have access to, with full flap. 60 for a short field, maybe less if the conditions are good (with a fair amount of power all the way to touchdown). Half the gust factor if appropriate.

Mark's point about power reduction is important. I was originally trained to do it with the mains already on the ground. These days, I do it as soon as the runway is "made," usually over the fence.
Yep both techniques work and it is a good idea to learn both so you have options. Personally, my choice is the same as yours.

Two turns?

Even in a dive a good decel turn to a slip should allow you to keep it tight, be darn near vne on down wind and cross the fence a vref, some pax might not approve though

Also a newbie in a 182P. I'm finding that 90 kias abeam the numbers with first notch and about 15", 80 on the base with the second notch and 70 on final with last notch works great for me. Throttle control on final and judicious use of trim as needed. I start pulling the power out slowly as I cross the numbers. If I find myself fast in the pattern, I may have the first notch in really early to help me get slowed down. We can do that in P since we can extend that first notch all the way out to 140kias. I hope you are enjoying yours as much as I am mine. They are a blast to fly! Good luck!

I definitely find it easier to land slower...my 182q poh states 60-70 it's with full flaps. I try to aim for 63 with full flaps and drop it in like its a shortfield regardless of the actual runway length. The 182 is built for shortfield stuff so I like to keep those skills sharp.

As far as the rest of the pattern....

110 or so for downwind, 10 degrees flaps
80 for base, 20 degrees flaps
70 for final, 63 for short final with full flaps

Also a newbie in a 182P. I'm finding that 90 kias abeam the numbers with first notch and about 15", 80 on the base with the second notch and 70 on final with last notch works great for me.

Just bear in mind that 70 KIAS is fast for final, right on the upper limit of book speed for a normal landing. So if you have a short or short-ish runway, you might run out of real estate. I would recommend starting final at 70 KIAS, then slowing to 65 KIAS for short-ish and 60 KIAS for short. Also bear in mind that winds may affect these numbers, as well as taxiway exits that you want to make. Generally, it's easier to land a bit slower and have more options (but take winds etc into consideration).

"If you're gonna crash, best to crash slow"

Just bear in mind that 70 KIAS is fast for final, right on the upper limit of book speed for a normal landing. So if you have a short or short-ish runway, you might run out of real estate. I would recommend starting final at 70 KIAS, then slowing to 65 KIAS for short-ish and 60 KIAS for short. Also bear in mind that winds may affect these numbers, as well as taxiway exits that you want to make. Generally, it's easier to land a bit slower and have more options (but take winds etc into consideration).

Agreed. That was just a generic version of my typical landing with plenty pavement to work with. There is plenty of room to work with on the airspeed for many different landing styles and needs. One of the reasons I love this plane. A very versatile plane.

I was having trouble landing flat in a 182T (G1000) with full flaps. A more experienced pilot had me use only 20 degrees flaps and things got much better. His take was you only need full flaps for short fields.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like OP was expecting to fly most of final power-off. As seen above, most 182 pilots don't do that. It's still possible though -- either keep it very high and steep (probably not the best thing to do for someone new to a 182 since it would make the flare more difficult) or don't use much flaps, at least not until the runway is made.

Read the manual. Remember FAA recommends 1.3Vso. That may be a little slow for a 182. I just pull the power abeam the numbers, do the CGUMPS, put in my flaps, adjust the trim and glide on in, and try and hit the numbers with no additional throttle. That way it is an engine out drill every time. Most planes seem to glide best somewhere around Vy. Full flaps are usually make it harder to flare. If you need to get the tail down and can't, usually because of forward CG, try adding just a touch of power in the flare. That activates the elevator. 182's are fairly easy to land. Try it every which way so you can do it every which way. Not just one way, you know.

Really, the 20 degrees of flaps is a good idea to transition into the 182. I have manual flaps in what I fly and have four settings in ten degree increments. Thirty degrees is my normal landing these days and forty is to drop over an obstacle. Per Mr. Tod Peterson (and my personal testing) forty degrees doesn't really increase lift, it merely increases drag.

I've landed fast in a 182 before... it's a good way to burn up some pavement and check to see if your tires are balanced.

I was having trouble landing flat in a 182T (G1000) with full flaps. A more experienced pilot had me use only 20 degrees flaps and things got much better. His take was you only need full flaps for short fields.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did he also teach that 1.3vso is only for short fields too?

@MikeLima - I reeally like power-off 180s for landings in 172s. As in, I teach them as standard, so that a student is used to knowing how to put the plane down safely if needed. in a heavier 182, it's a bit more dramatic, but the principle is still solid. I might practice both types of landings with a CFI or an experienced 182 driver, so that you get good feedback. And so you know how to manage power one element at a time.

@MikeLima - I reeally like power-off 180s for landings in 172s. As in, I teach them as standard, so that a student is used to knowing how to put the plane down safely if needed. in a heavier 182, it's a bit more dramatic, but the principle is still solid. I might practice both types of landings with a CFI or an experienced 182 driver, so that you get good feedback. And so you know how to manage power one element at a time.
Great way of teaching students, I like it! They'll quickly find out how the prop control does wonders with energy management during a power-off 180 in the 182.

Read the manual. Remember FAA recommends 1.3Vso. That may be a little slow for a 182. I just pull the power abeam the numbers, do the CGUMPS, put in my flaps, adjust the trim and glide on in, and try and hit the numbers with no additional throttle. That way it is an engine out drill every time. Most planes seem to glide best somewhere around Vy. Full flaps are usually make it harder to flare. If you need to get the tail down and can't, usually because of forward CG, try adding just a touch of power in the flare. That activates the elevator. 182's are fairly easy to land. Try it every which way so you can do it every which way. Not just one way, you know.

I take it you start really high on your final turn to glide in with a power cut abeam? If I'm on a normal glideslope and suddenly cut the power, my 182 sinks like a rock through it. It takes some power to the numbers to get it there.

Great way of teaching students, I like it! They'll quickly find out how the prop control does wonders with energy management during a power-off 180 in the 182.

But with a real engine failure which would result in a loss of oil pressure, that trick likley WONT work in most piston singles, prop will default full forward. Still worth a try, but I wouldn't count on it working real world.

Really, the 20 degrees of flaps is a good idea to transition into the 182. I have manual flaps in what I fly and have four settings in ten degree increments. Thirty degrees is my normal landing these days and forty is to drop over an obstacle. Per Mr. Tod Peterson (and my personal testing) forty degrees doesn't really increase lift, it merely increases drag.

I've landed fast in a 182 before... it's a good way to burn up some pavement and check to see if your tires are balanced.

There was a whole freakout thread about flaps 20 in a 182 a few weeks ago. My opinion is that it is indeed an useful tool when you transition and lots of people do land them that way.

The whole "use flaps 40 or you aren't a real pilot" thing doesn't make much sense to me. Plenty of 182s don't even have flaps 40 and they all manage to land safely without them despite being the exact same airframe. There's a very real danger zone using flaps 40 if you aren't on your game that doesn't really exist at flaps 30.

What's vref for flaps 20 vs 40

What's the difference in energy of a impact between those two different speeds?

63-65 KIAS on short final, 30 or 40 flaps (40 unless it is gusty, then I will use 30).

1977 182Q.

The only oddity I've found with flaps 40 is that if I try to fly for a more than 10-15 seconds at 70 KIAS with flaps 40 on approach, I can get a light pitch oscillation.

This.
I always try to fly my approaches at an angle where I could make the pavement if the engine failed on me. I've seen some that will fly a flat approach with full flaps, heavily relying on power to get them to the runway. Bad practice IMO!

Do you always fly where you can make the pavement if the engine fails, or just the last 600 yards?

Back