Rebeat the horse!

FlySince9

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jerry
I know this horse has been slaughtered before, but I am on the verge of buying an ANR//man its almost like the high wing vs low wing debate... Each model has its praise and its curses... somebody loves it and somebody hates it. Dropping a grand isn't an everyday thing for me especially since my DCs have served me faithfully for decades... What am I asking? I have no idea! but help me anyway... which one? I'm upgrading because I am beginning IR training and just want the advantage of clear crisp comm especially RX side... Thanx in advance...

Well if your DCs are passive, then I'd just upgrade to DC ANR. We had them in the Army and were quite durable. If you're looking for cheap ANR, I've mentioned before the Marv Golden sets. Less than $300 and mine have worked well for years. Sound as good as my A20 and my Echelon.

I'm surprised this horse has any hide left after all the beatings it has taken.

This time I get to be the first to say: "Dump the clamps and go with Clarity Aloft or QT Halo"

ANR is the bees knees.
I got Zulu 2's and love them. Have worn, with glasses on, for >4hrs at a time without hurting.
I've worn Bose A20s and they seem fine as well.

I would expect to find Zulu 2's for less than a grand now.

Well if your DCs are passive, then I'd just upgrade to DC ANR. We had them in the Army and were quite durable. If you're looking for cheap ANR, I've mentioned before the Marv Golden sets. Less than $300 and mine have worked well for years. Sound as good as my A20 and my Echelon.
I though the DC ANR is an "on-ear" rather than an "over-ear" I read they are not so good for a noise-rich cockpit like my skyhawk

I'm surprised this horse has any hide left after all the beatings it has taken.

This time I get to be the first to say: "Dump the clamps and go with Clarity Aloft or QT Halo"
yea.. I'm not crazy about the plugs... but thanks...

Old DCs work fine, and I've used them for over 25 years. But that's me, YMMV.

I though the DC ANR is an "on-ear" rather than an "over-ear" I read they are not so good for a noise-rich cockpit like my skyhawk
I've tried the on ear DC Pro-x for one flight and I wasn't very impressed. The ANR wasn't that great because they let it too much cockpit noise. I've heard that you have to find the "sweet spot" with them but I didn't think they were that great.

I have the DC H10-13X, which is an over-ear type. Or you could retrofit your existing DCs with ANR and/or a hush kit...

Don't be scared to buy used, I have bought several used Bose headsets and I have had no problems out of any of them. Used X's usually go for $350-500, order new ear pads and a mic muff and you're ready to go!

I bought two of my ANRS used. One, the BOSE X, was through the AOPA for sale, the other, lightspeed zulus, was through an online forum. I do have DC 10-13x but the lightspeed's get the most use. They are by far the best in the helicopter except when the battery died.

Oh no....not that again? :eek:

deadhorse.gif~c200

I've had my DC H10-13X headset for almost 20 years - it's friggin' great. If the ANR dies, it's still a great passive headset. I used Bose in my turboprop days and currently Sennheiser in the jet, but for piston flying I don't think I'll ever switch from my DCs.

I have all of them ;-), one each. In the end I usually take my sons DC H10-13X.

If you like your DC's, you can keep your DC's........
I used my DC's for years, and really liked them. Did the DIY ANR kit from Headsets Inc, and they got even better. http://www.headsetsinc.com/

DC makes "over ear" ANR headsets. Only the Pro-X is on-ear. I have both types of DC ANRs and prefer the over-ear.

David Clark One-X 10/10 recommend. Better than Bose and lightspeed and cheaper than both.

The One-X is the over-the-ear version of the Pro-X

Last edited:
My dog loves her Zulu2's but the wife and I much prefer our QT Halo's.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here is the deal...there are not many out there that are horrible. Dollar for dollar in each price class they are all gonna be comparable. Once you strip away the bells and whistles like bluetooth and music inputs (which most do not use anyway)...you want to go with what is most comfortable on your head. You will be wearing them for hours. Comfort is more critical than someone's opinion of a model.

Go visit a few pilot shops and try some on.

Personally I have Zulu 2 and love them... I am now a Lightspeed fan due to their customer service and how they stand behind their product.

Back