How far a drive to the airport for you?

How long does it take to get to your plane?

• Total voters
About 40 minutes from my house to the airport. There are closer airports that would make that about 20 minutes, however there isn't any hangar availability at any of them. Plus, the airport that we're based at is nicer all around, so I suspect we may stay even if a hangar opens up at one of the closer airports.

I grew up about a mile from the airport where I would eventually do nearly all my pre-solo training. But by the time I was ready to start lessons, I lived a good 20 minute drive from any airport.

Fast forward to 2010 when I bought my plane. Home, work, and the plane formed an equilateral triangle that would normally take less than a half hour to drive between any of the vertices. Would have been a nice arrangement, except during rush hour it could take over an hour.

Now work is within walking distance, the plane still takes 20-30 minutes to reach most of the year, except it's up a steep hill and the most direct route is a winding mountain road that's closed during mud season. So during April it can still take more than 30 minutes to reach the plane.

Someday maybe it will be the opposite, a five minute walk to the plane and a 30 minute drive to work. Even better, a five minute walk to both. Well, I can dream... :)

Well, since we closed on our new house yesterday I can see airplanes tied down from the kitchen window, the bathroom window, and a bedroom window. Walking slowly, maybe a half minute walk! :D

"Envy" doesn't even begin to describe it....:cryin: :cryin:

Besides the walking distance, you get those wonderful summer winds blowing the 100LL smells over the house. Yeah....if that were cologne, I'd buy it

30 mins-1.5 hours depending on traffic to go to the work plane.

How much of that is just walking through JFK? :p

I sometimes commute on you guys (even had an FO named Jordan once, but it wasn't you - heh!) and holy crap, it is a looooooooong walk from B55.

How much of that is just walking through JFK? :p

I sometimes commute on you guys (even had an FO named Jordan once, but it wasn't you - heh!) and holy crap, it is a looooooooong walk from B55.
You'll know me when you see me. I'll be the 12 year old looking FO! From the employee lot to the gate is about 20-30 minutes. B55 is hell. I usually take the shuttle over there.

4 minutes coat-on to coat-off...going around the runway. 2K feet in a straight line (across the runway), house back door to hangar.... a bit less to the wife's 'work' airplane. Life is good!

Jim

Last edited:
About 50-55 minutes for me. There are closer airports than mine (Cable in Upland, CA) but hangar cost and availability were issues, and Cable is far enough inland to avoid the marine layer most days. The best flight scenario is early mornings...I'm on the road at 6:30 to avoid the heaviest commuter traffic northbound on the 57; then I'm returning southbound at 11 a.m. or so when the traffic is relatively light.

When we lived in Virginia I was 90 minutes from my plane. That was untenable, so we sold the house and moved to Washington State. Now I'm 4 minutes from the hangar any time of the day or night, and my wife has a view of the water from our house if she decides to stay home. We both won with this move.

I'll bet Peyton Manning could throw a football and hit flight line from my porch. I'd say three min in the truck and 20 ft from the fence to doors.

Back