Why are LED's not standard on cars?

Matthew K

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Broke Engineer
Hello all!

I've been pondering something, why are LED's not a standard feature yet? My dad's 06 Cadillac had LED's for all lights stock, yet today it seems most cars (excluding luxurious/hybrid's) LED is either an upgrade or not available from the factory. My friends 2016 GMC Pickup has LED's in the front stock, but not in the back. Another thing that brought this up was when I was watching a video about the 2017 f250 and noticed the front headlights weren't LED.

Considering it's been over 10 years since Cadillac started putting LED's standard, why hasn't that idea reached most vehicles by today?

Now personally, I love LED's. Especially from the efficiency standpoint. Even though they cost more I would think by now that they wouldn't affect vehicle price. I'm sure most of you on here want/have LED's on your planes. So, what gives? Is the cost that "significant"? Or do some people not like the color? etc...

LED turn signals, stop lights, parking lights OK. LED headlamps are a different story. I've seen some aftermarket ones that should be outlawed. They are bright enough in full sunlight you can be blinded by them.

LED turn signals, stop lights, parking lights OK. LED headlamps are a different story. I've seen some aftermarket ones that should be outlawed. They are bright enough in full sunlight you can be blinded by them.
I can agree with this to some degree. There are some cars that people have customized driving on the highway during the night that have aftermarket LEDs and sometimes the only thing I can do is turn the mirror towards the ground to avoid the reflection. For stock LED headlights though I haven't really had an issue
Cost. Saving 5 cents on a part is a big deal.
When your making hundreds of thousands of cars yes of course. Considering though how much car/truck prices have gone up in the last 10 years though LED's should be an easy thing to include especially during a year where they change the price. Heck, Ford with all their new trailer backup technologies for trailers or what not, and the can't have stock LED's? I mean come on.

I've seen some aftermarket ones that should be outlawed. They are bright enough in full sunlight you can be blinded by them.

how can we "like" a post, about a hundred times? I only see an option for one "like".

Light bulbs and plastic lenses are incredibly cheap.

Technology will catch up as prices come down. There is not much energy savings needed in cars so it is a novelty more than a necessity until it becomes cost comparable to the old standards.

why are LED's not a standard feature yet?

They're getting there, slowly. If you're used to the tech industry just about every other field moves at a glacial pace in comparison, especially the transportation businesses. Mass market fuel injection was introduced in what, the 1950's? And it didn't become a standard feature until the 1980's or so? And how long did it take halogen bulbs to become standard?

They're getting there, slowly. If you're used to the tech industry just about every other field moves at a glacial pace in comparison, especially the transportation businesses. Mass market fuel injection was introduced in what, the 1950's? And it didn't become a standard feature until the 1980's or so? And how long did it take halogen bulbs to become standard?
Well I don't think fuel injection is much of an argument here considering that requires a redesign of an engine...but I get what your trying to say. My point here though was my dad's "luxury" car had it 10 years ago, 10 years should be plenty of time to trickle down to the "non-luxurious" cars. Trust me...it pains me how long it takes the auto industry to adapt, but I'm talking about a minor change here, the only real reason I see now is cost, but in 10 years time I'd of thought that the price would have come down enough for regular cars.

Well I don't think fuel injection is much of an argument here considering that requires a redesign of an engine
Fuel injection came into widespread use because that was the only way to meet the emission regulations.

LEDs use less power so there is some advantage in terms of wire cost and weight - that's why you see them a lot in tail lights. Also, there is more styling flexibility - the auto companies will spend money on that.

Changes happen when the auto companies think that consumers are willing to pay for something or they are required by regulation.

LEDs are more expensive, that's why they haven't been mass-adopted. While the LEDs themselves have extremely long lives, their circuitry components (diodes/resistors/etc) can be fragile and result in multiple LEDs inoperative. With incandescent bulbs, it's a quick fix, with LED failures, it generally results in replacing the entire housing. There will be a point when pretty much everything moves over to LED, but when cost savings exist in such large quantities for incandescent housings, it will still take quite some time to phase out.

Well I don't think fuel injection is much of an argument here considering that requires a redesign of an engine

Not exactly. Throttle body injection is pretty much a drop-in replacement for a carb. Port fuel injection requires redesigning the intake manifold and everything upstream. You're probably thinking about direct injection. As I said before, slowly. And I might add now, baby-steps.

Hello all!

I've been pondering something, why are LED's not a standard feature yet? My dad's 06 Cadillac had LED's for all lights stock, yet today it seems most cars (excluding luxurious/hybrid's) LED is either an upgrade or not available from the factory. My friends 2016 GMC Pickup has LED's in the front stock, but not in the back. Another thing that brought this up was when I was watching a video about the 2017 f250 and noticed the front headlights weren't LED.

Considering it's been over 10 years since Cadillac started putting LED's standard, why hasn't that idea reached most vehicles by today?

Now personally, I love LED's. Especially from the efficiency standpoint. Even though they cost more I would think by now that they wouldn't affect vehicle price. I'm sure most of you on here want/have LED's on your planes. So, what gives? Is the cost that "significant"? Or do some people not like the color? etc...

I assume that we are not talking about headlights here. Cost. More expensive to make and replace if needed.

When it comes to LED headlights in cars... ugly!

p.s. My 2011 Cadillac has HID headlights. I don't think they had LED headlights back in 2006.

Last edited:
I suspect LED's are something automakers can still sell as an upgrade at a significant premium (and extra profit).
Wait until you price a replacement headlight that has been damaged, it will bring a grown man to tears!! It's not unusual for a headlight assembly to be over $1000.00 each!

Cost. Saving 5 cents on a part is a big deal.

And the incandescent bulbs last a hell of a long time. I get 10 years plus reliably. The only reason to LED lamps in cars at this point is, They free the designers to do some pretty creative things with the light fixtures and in EVs, they do save a little battery life. Other than that it is a marketing gimmick that works on people. Makes the car seem "cutting edge" and high tech.

Hello all!

I have LEDs in select light fixtures in my home. They save on power consumption, at least that's my primary motivation given how much more they still cost. So what exactly is the benefit of using them everywhere in a vehicle?

As for longevity we have 3 vehicles in the family; the 2003 has had two bulbs replaced, the 2006 has had 1, and my 2010 GMC has had none so far. LEDs in vehicles might be a solution looking for a problem?

Caddie probably put them in as a novelty product differentiator back then.

Well, one thing LED's DO save on (aside from electricity) is space. Housings don't need to be nearly as large because they don't put out much heat, so plastic housings can be very thin, which allows the unused space to be utilized for interior space or other electronic gizmos. LEDs are better than incandecents, no doubt about it. Low-heat, low power draw, compact size, high intensity, multi-colored. It's just a dollars-cents thing at this point and eventually replacing bulbs in a vehicle will be a thing of the past.

Are you kidding? Saving half a cent on a part is a big deal in the auto business.
Very true.

Ever work on electrical components in a car and wonder why they give you just BARELY enough wire to work with? When you build millions of cars a few cents here and there add up to another high paid executive position.

Are you kidding? Saving half a cent on a part is a big deal in the auto business.
They raise prices $100 for every nickel. Not going to lose too much sleep over their profits.

My point here though was my dad's "luxury" car had it 10 years ago, 10 years should be plenty of time to trickle down to the "non-luxurious" cars.

10 years? What about the other 40 years we've been waiting for trickle down? Heyoooooooooooooooooooooo. IBTL

This showed up in my subscriber box. Video by IIHS

I replaced all my interior lights and LED, my god the difference!!

Replaced the reverse lights as well, simply wow.

As for headlights etc, have not pulled the trigger yet.

My car came from the factory with a mix of LED, incandescents and halogens with xenons as an options. As I said, baby steps.

There's also a certain amount of inertia at work. In many cars, simply replacing incandescent turn signal lamps with LEDs, for example, will cause them to flash erratically or not at all because of the way the flasher works. So now the flasher has to be redesigned or resistance added to the circuit. It's not a big deal, but it's still a change and an expense; so manufacturers monetize that expense by making it an add-on option.

Rich

There's also a certain amount of inertia at work. In many cars, simply replacing incandescent turn signal lamps with LEDs, for example, will cause them to flash erratically or not at all because of the way the flasher works. So now the flasher has to be redesigned or resistance added to the circuit. It's not a big deal, but it's still a change and an expense; so manufacturers monetize that expense by making it an add-on option.

Rich
I know what you mean, redesigning anything costs money and it's up to the company to decide if its worth it. As far as led turn signals go they're already on cars even though they might not have LED headlamps. Also the 06 cadillac I've mentioned makes use of existing brake light LED's for the rear turn signals also.

We've had the ability to make a transistor flasher from a single IC since the 555 days, it's not really much of a cost.

Along those lines I did find that a number of places now sell replacement solid state flashers that directly replace the old click clack mechanical heating ones for nearly nothing. I'll have to put them on the Dodge and the Yukon for trailers that have goofy dual running/brake-flasher bulb setups.

My foray into automotive LED started with all the usual crap work done by GM on their dash clusters. Bad servos, bad grain of wheat bulbs, bad power supply driving the vacuum florescent display. If there was a screw up, GM made sure to make it.

Replace the servos, and more lights started failing. VFD started to dim. All signs it'd all fail. Found some dude online who rebuilds the things in his garage. Had him do the whole shebang. Replaced the grain of wheats with green LEDs to match the intended color of the cluster anyway. Those started failing a few months later (I suspect he used the wrong resistors with them or got a bad batch) months later finally got around to contacting him about his lifetime warranty. He agreed it shouldn't be doing that and fixed it. Free. Looks way better than original.

Then did all the marker lights on the fifth wheel for nearly nothing. Used T10 sized LEDs with outward facing panel of LEDs. Look great. Tried to do trailer tail lights. Figured out ground wiring is done wrong on trailer and need one of those solid state flashers due to current leakage from turn signal to running lights. Set those aside until I can get back to that project.

Realized the spare T10s fit the map lights in the Dodge and the rear overhead light perfectly. Stuffed three in there.

Same deal with the map lights on the Yukon. Look great. Side bonus, the original circuit slightly dimmed the map lights when they're selected on individually but not if the "all on" switch in the dash is used. Great that the effect is even higher with these particular LEDs. Never blinded by someone turning on a map light but ultra bright when doors are open or switch is selected. Awesome.

Did the back up lights on the Yukon. Awesome. Super bright. Way better than the originals. One is a little loose so I need to mess with it but a whack with my palm against the outer housing fixes it for a while. I'll get in there and squeeze the old connector together for a better fit one of these days when I remember.

Then did the DRLs. They're useless anyway but at least now they don't burn out constantly. GM screwed that up too which is why they went to the 4114. Less heat so they'd supposedly last longer in those little holders. Nope. Dead one every other year. No more of that.

Still working slowly on the project. Next will be the overhead lights in the Yukon and the mirror puddle lights. The floor lighting interior lights and the lights in the door kickjams.

Then I'll get the solid state flashers and spend a day figuring out and making sure the turns and brake lights all behave both with and without trailers connected and finish up the fifth wheel.

All in on the above I'm maybe $45? The trick is to find the non-name-brand stuff from China with decent reviews and buy from Amazon with their 100% return policy. One batch of T10s was all wrong for what I was doing so back in the shipping box it went. No biggie.

I won't do headlights. Anything that's putting off the proper light for driving rural at night has massive heatsinks and doesn't match the profile of a bulb at all. Sticks out the back or needs the light housing modified. Until I see someone say they did it on my makes of vehicles with cheap LEDs and has photos of it not making a mess, anyway.

Every interior bulb in the fifth wheel was also done in the first couple of months. That was about $20. That one helps a lot because if you're running off of house battery, much much less current draw. Better light too.

House: I always said it wasn't necessary but finally prices dropped on generic branded bulbs enough that $40 redid every bulb save two in the house. A few have their switching power supplies poorly designed in that they physically vibrate the bulbs and make them hum. Have enough spares it didn't matter. Just swap out the three noisy ones. Also got them in the traditional off-white similar color to incandescents, and you'd never know they're LED.

Oh. Forgot the very first ones. Outdoor lights. Out here I don't want to add to massive light "pollution" and found the perfect solution. 15W equivalent light LED appliance bulbs in all the outdoor sconces. Look great. Dim enough they're not lighting up the county, but enough to see keys for opening doors or whatever. Excellent. Those ran about $10 for the outside of the house. Those were the first ones I did. They're three years old now and on 24/7. No sign of dimming or wearing out.

And the incandescent bulbs last a hell of a long time. I get 10 years plus reliably.

Yeah, my 15yr old F-150 has all original bulbs except for the rear drivers running/brake light. I can't believe the headlights are still going after 15 yrs.....good OEM supplier.

I replaced all the non-headlights in my new truck with LEDs. The flashing circuit is built into the body control module so it can't just be swapped and expects the same power use on turn signals so it can detect a failed bulb and put it into hyper-flash mode. I felt stupid having to tie in resistors parallel with all the turn signal bulbs to draw enough that the BCM didn't see the lights as failed.

The vendors who sold the LEDs included resistors, but I wanted to reduce the power use, especially on the rear where they're also brake lights so stuck in traffic would get the resistors hot. So I spent a bit of time with the junk box of power resistors until I got the minimum power needed to keep the stupid computer happy.

I replaced all the non-headlights in my new truck with LEDs. The flashing circuit is built into the body control module so it can't just be swapped and expects the same power use on turn signals so it can detect a failed bulb and put it into hyper-flash mode. I felt stupid having to tie in resistors parallel with all the turn signal bulbs to draw enough that the BCM didn't see the lights as failed.

The vendors who sold the LEDs included resistors, but I wanted to reduce the power use, especially on the rear where they're also brake lights so stuck in traffic would get the resistors hot. So I spent a bit of time with the junk box of power resistors until I got the minimum power needed to keep the stupid computer happy.

That's interesting that they sent higher value ones than necessary. Some of the light "bulb"s for certain popular bulb types also can come with a dropper resistor built in nowadays

I recently leased a Cadillac XT5 (which replaces the SRX model) and they are all LED's in and out - I wouldn't care either way but they are pretty cool looking

Back