Is it hot enough for you?

wbarnhill

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iEXTERMINATE
Today we had temps in the 100s all day, with the heat index around 111 - 115. Same with yesterday and tomorrow. So imagine my surprise when I passed the local Walgreens...

5xhb57c.jpg

So hot it freaked the sign out...

Here in SE NC today it was 103 or so...

Too hot to fly...

Yep, it was 104 F at the local drome today. Ended up canceling my 20:00 flight because it was still in the mid-90's.

The last place I care to be is under the hood with a partial panel in a sweat box at 3,500 feet.

Last edited:
It's like the Sun here...Only HOT.

I'm guessing the temp gauge bent itself past the peg and wrapped around until it was pointed at -295??

On the way to DAL last month I stopped for an early lunch and looked at the temp/humidity gauges. 100F and 100% humidity. :hairraise: :hairraise: :hairraise:

East DAL area today: 101F. UGH!

The devil doesn't live in TX because he couldn't take the heat. Neither can I.

Re: It's like the Sun here...Only HOT.

On the way to DAL last month I stopped for an early lunch and looked at the temp/humidity gauges. 100F and 100% humidity. :hairraise: :hairraise: :hairraise:

East DAL area today: 101F. UGH!
Frank, did you move to Dallas? When are you coming by the farm?

William, you found absolute proof... global warming is a fallacy! :D

I have no choice but to fly in the heat. It stays in the middle 90s or above until well into the evening. We haven't had rain in maybe a month. So usually if I'm going flying, I try to keep the majority of it above 3,000 agl where its cooler and at least tolerable. It surprised us when we heard one of the 172s got up to 8,000 the other day and it registered 55 degrees. I was really wishing my CFI was going to say, "c'mon, lets get higher" but he didn't.

This weather s*cks. I hate the heat and humidity here in Kentucky. Can't wait to move back to Denver. Sigh.....

[Snip}
Too hot to fly...

Slightly off the subject, but interesting data: One of the pilot/owners at Wiscasset IWI (sold his RV-6A and is buying a RV-7) likes to fly my Skyhawk, occasionally. Last week it was an 84°F day when he took the Skyhawk up with his SO and another friend. The plane had 3/4 tanks and VSI showed 900FPM. For load and DA that seems pretty impressive. Can we attribute it to the Power Flow tuned exhaust?

HR

Got up to 80 deg on Grandfather mtn yesterday, and was a sweltering 85 here in Boone. Wish we had A/C in our house but it always cools down at night.

Today we had temps in the 100s all day, with the heat index around 111 - 115. Same with yesterday and tomorrow. So imagine my surprise when I passed the local Walgreens...

5xhb57c.jpg

Maybe the sign is driven by a Microsoft computer. Sure looks like a buffer overflow to me... :p

Re: It's like the Sun here...Only HOT.

Frank, did you move to Dallas??

I'm crazy, not insane. No flippin way, no flippin how. :no: They can't make me either because my house is on wheels and I'll run anyone down who tries to keep me from escaping. :yes: Besides, I'll combust and go nutters if I had to stay here any length of time.

I'm just down visiting family for a couple months. I have a job waiting for me in DEN when I get back next month.

When are you coming by the farm?

Hmmm. The schedule went potty on itself a few weeks ago so it's a bit tight this year. :( I'm not sure exactly when yet however I'm planning a trip to the East coast at some point. Your farm is definitely one of the planned stops.

This weather s*cks. I hate the heat and humidity here in Kentucky. Can't wait to move back to Denver. Sigh.....

It's going to be close to 100 in Denver this weekend, too. Of course, there's not nearly the humidity there is in Kentucky.

It will be nice in the mountains, though :)

It's going to be close to 100 in Denver this weekend, too. Of course, there's not nearly the humidity there is in Kentucky.

It will be nice in the mountains, though :)

Yeah, but as you state, "Its a dry heat". :D

Yeah, but as you state, "Its a dry heat". :D

So is a thermonuclear blast...

No matter what the temperature in Denver is, it's still a 10 minute drive to sensible temperatures. 30-45 minutes will put you over 10K MSL if you pick the anyone of a bazillion correct roads. A few will lead you to >14K.

I can't wait to get home to the mountains again. In the meantime, it's back to designing a low cost swamp cooler...

Last weekend the controller at Ft Campbell asked what altitude I was going to fly and I said 65deg. I heard all of the controllers laughing.

[Snip}

Slightly off the subject, but interesting data: One of the pilot/owners at Wiscasset IWI (sold his RV-6A and is buying a RV-7) likes to fly my Skyhawk, occasionally. Last week it was an 84°F day when he took the Skyhawk up with his SO and another friend. The plane had 3/4 tanks and VSI showed 900FPM. For load and DA that seems pretty impressive. Can we attribute it to the Power Flow tuned exhaust?

HR

Nah, I'd attribute it to being at such a low PA to start with. Your DA was probably lower than KAEG (my home)'s airport's PA in the dead of winter.

Nah, I'd attribute it to being at such a low PA to start with. Your DA was probably lower than KAEG (my home)'s airport's PA in the dead of winter.

Sustained 900 FPM with a loaded skyhawk is impressive at sealevel in the winter.

Not sure about a loaded skyhawk, but I've gotten that before at sea level in the winter.

Come on 100 degrees is nothing as long as you stay hydrated. Put on some sun block, freeze a bottle of water, and climb, climb, climb. Out is sunny Phoenix Arizona we have over 100 days of 100 degrees plus temps. Granted it sucks but it beats shoveling the driveway during the winter months in -20 temps. Yes, don't get me wrong hot wx does stink, and performance factors are an issue but you will not need to worry about ice on your wings when you come out to your ac in the morning. The hottest temps I ever flown in was when it was 109 a few weeks ago and we were doing hood work. It does not help when you are in a low wing (Diamond DA20) with no sun protection, and a canopy that acts as a greenhouse. Nonetheless, I will still do it in a heart beat. When I get upto 9k MSL it is pretty nice with temps in the 70's and 80's. Now hot temps and major humidity is a different story.

Drink water and remember the summer is almost over.

Here's an example of how hot and humid it is here in the Houston area... Today, I went with my better half to assist her grandparents who are moving into a place here in Houston. We had brought my claw hammer with us, as they needed to hang some pictures and hadn't received their tools yet. So, apparently the hammer head was in the direct path of an a/c vent in my girlfriend's car, because it was very cold when we got out of the car. By the time we walked the 75 yards from the car into the building, the hammer head was DRIPPING with condensation!

Now hot temps and major humidity is a different story.

Agreed. The heat alone isn't bad at all.
OTOH: Hot + humidity = oppressive.
Or worse yet: Hot + humidity + absolute zero air flow = HORRIFIC

I can take the heat. I can tolerate the heat and humidity up to a point though I prefer it a bit less than 100 squared. I just can't take the heat and humidity and an absolutely still air mass with the sun roasting you just to finish you off for weeks on end. Stick a fork in me, I'm done.

Insane real story: Many years ago during one of the major heatwaves in DAL when night temperatures stayed above 100F, my dad was doing something between outside and the kitchen cabinets in the middle of the afternoon. Curiosity got the best of me so I went out to see what he was up to. He was literally cooking eggs in a skillet on the driveway. :eek:

Drink water and remember the summer is almost over.

Bring on a whole string of blizzards!!!

Bite your tongue!!!! You don't have to shovel humidity.

Ummm, actually I do have to shovel it. I'm just here visiting in TX for a few months...I live in Colorado. I'll take having to dig myself out every day along with sub zero temps and having to use 4WD for months on end over this heat nonsense.

Blizzard, fun. Heat, miserable.

<---- doing the big frigging snow-up-to-the-RV-windows blizzard dance...

Ummm, actually I do have to shovel it. I'm just here visiting in TX for a few months...I live in Colorado. I'll take having to dig myself out every day along with sub zero temps and having to use 4WD for months on end over this heat nonsense.

Blizzard, fun. Heat, miserable.

<---- doing the big frigging snow-up-to-the-RV-windows blizzard dance...

I agree heartily. The way I look at it, you can always put more clothes on. You can only take so many off!

a half hour ago my truck thermometer read 140F. And they all say, "Nice, you get to work outside!" :(

actual temp here is 93

Put on some sun block, freeze a bottle of water, and climb, climb, climb. Out is sunny Phoenix Arizona we have over 100 days of 100 degrees plus temps. Granted it sucks but it beats shoveling the driveway during the winter months in -20 temps.

Bwaaaahahahahahaha!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Uh, what? What do you mean you weren't kidding? A third of your year is over 100 and you like it?

I tell ya what... I sure as heck don't spend 100 days shoveling. :no: Not even close. Hell, probably only 10, if that. And shoveling is good exercise, and keeps you more than warm enough.

I think we did hit -20F here this year for the first time in many years. Normally it's more like +20, with the occasional cold snap into the single digits.

And that is the best flying weather there is. Absolutely smooth as glass, amazing visibility (75nm or so unless it's snowing!), and once you get their engines running, the airplanes love it - 1800fpm climb in the 182. (Just need to get the mixture properly adjusted for the cold, and then I'm hoping to be able to peg the VSI at +2000fpm. :D)

Yes, don't get me wrong hot wx does stink, and performance factors are an issue but you will not need to worry about ice on your wings when you come out to your ac in the morning.

One word: Hangar. Also gives you a warm place to preflight. :yes:

The hottest temps I ever flown in was when it was 109 a few weeks ago and we were doing hood work. It does not help when you are in a low wing (Diamond DA20) with no sun protection, and a canopy that acts as a greenhouse. Nonetheless, I will still do it in a heart beat.

I can't disagree with ya there. I've flown to TX in the summer. It's even a hair below freezing over TX at 12,500 in July. But I'd fly a Diamond even if I was in hell. (Hell, MI. ;))

Halfway to absolute zero, not bad...that's even worse than Maine in the winter, from what I hear.

It was 71 here in NH yesterday...last four mornings I've had to wear my jacket and gloves during my 0515 preflight. Can I be a snowbird at age 23? Winters in Mesa, AZ, summers in NH...life'd be great!

Halfway to absolute zero, not bad...that's even worse than Maine in the winter, from what I hear.

It was 71 here in NH yesterday...last four mornings I've had to wear my jacket and gloves during my 0515 preflight. Can I be a snowbird at age 23? Winters in Mesa, AZ, summers in NH...life'd be great!

71 :dunno: I haven't seen 71 for a LOW temp in over a month! Heck, this morning was down to a comfortable 76 when I left for work at 6:30.

A local storage facility has a sign out front where they put funny little comments, changing them every week. Two weeks ago, when the temps were above 100 degrees, it said "Think Snow!".

Last week it said, "Think Harder!"

(My favorite so far was when Ms. Hilton was in the pokey: "Life just isn't the same without Paris ..." )

Back