medeco key blanks

thatguy

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
thatguy
I have a laundry list of key blanks that I need so I can have them cut. Anyone have any good sources outside the manufacturer (I'm not paying $200 for a key from Bombardier etc).

Thanks

$200 for a freekin' key? Yikes! :yikes:

Must be gold plated for a Lear 75

Car keys cost that much because they're chipped. Aircraft keys cost that much because they can...

I found some nice Cessna blanks (logo and everything) on eBay to replace my generic keys I got when I bought my plane, think the Cessna ones were under $20 a key, had my local Home Depot cut em.

I paid some stupid price from Spruce 2 years ago for some spare keys. Went to the key shop to get them cut, $1.50 a key.

Find a locksmith bro.

Your standard aircraft key used on say a 172, beechcraft bonanza etc is a standard vertical axis cut key and a hardware store can cut these. I need medeco angle cut keys (multi-axis cut). These have to be performed by a Medeco dealer with a multiaxis cutter (homedepo ain't gonna work).

Keys like that are used on like a Falcon 900, Challenger 300/600, Phenom 100/300 etc. I've been having to pick the locks alot lately and it's really hard to do say... On the ramp, 3am in the rain? lol. For whatever reason pilots love to call me to work on their airplanes at night and not leave me a key, or leave it unlocked. Wouldn't be a problem but I'm sharing the same set of keys for this client with another tech and we're not always that close to one another.

I don't think I'm gonna find the answer I'm looking for on here hahaha

I've seen much discussion from late model Beech and Mooney owners about Medeco keys, some wanting copies and some wanting to install them. I don't have Medeco locks, so I didn't pay a lot of attention after figuring out the special nature of the keys. My only advice is to try Google . . .

Medeco side bitting is registered and protected. If you need that key you have to get it from the registered source or get a letter of authorization from the registered agent for a different Medeco dealer to buy that key. That's the price of good key security. You may be better off buying a new key cylinder if that particular Medeco system owner's price is unacceptable.

I don't quite understand the point behind medeco locks honestly... I can pick them just as easy as any other lock (I'm a horrible lock pick so it takes time lol). They're just hard to get blanks for, get copied, etc... On top of that my set says "do not replicate" on half the keys (10 aircraft in the fleet) so I'm going to need to find a dealer that doesn't care and likes cash. Customer is dragging feet to provide another set.

I have a laundry list of key blanks that I need so I can have them cut. Anyone have any good sources outside the manufacturer (I'm not paying $200 for a key from Bombardier etc).

Thanks

Smith's Lock and Key on PCH does good work. Lemme know how that works out. =D

Far from impossible. Just takes time.

Do you know anything about side-pinned lock cylinders? I can pick locks. I'm in the commercial lock business. I can't pick a Medeco. Neither can you!

Okay Mr Pilot... Want to tell me how to do my job when I'm fixing your airplane while you're at it?

I'm gonna bounce. Admins feel free to delete this thread

You asked a specific question. I provided a professional answer. Medeco keying is closely controlled. That's why people choose to use it. The end.

BS. Picking a Medeco cylinder is about impossible.
I picked one on a citation and I'm definitely not a lock smith. I did, however, have a set of proper picks.

Edit. Actually picked it twice. Turned it just a little too far when unlocking so had to pick it to re-lock.

On top of that my set says "do not replicate" on half the keys...

"Do not duplicate" being stamped on a key has no legal bearing. They are just words stamps on a key. I've had copies of "do not duplicate" keys made quite often. Home Depot and Lowe's likely won't do it (they're idiots, no need to ever waste your time there for anything...), but I don't recall a real locksmith ever turning me down.

As an aside, some big boxes now have totally automated key duplicators. A new Menard's in my area being one. I tried it a few times, had over a 50% failure rate. Nope, not doing that ever again.

"Do not duplicate" being stamped on a key has no legal bearing. They are just words stamps on a key. I've had copies of "do not duplicate" keys made quite often. Home Depot and Lowe's likely won't do it (they're idiots, no need to ever waste your time there for anything...), but I don't recall a real locksmith ever turning me down.

As an aside, some big boxes now have totally automated key duplicators. A new Menard's in my area being one. I tried it a few times, had over a 50% failure rate. Nope, not doing that ever again.
Regardless of any legal concerns, Home Depot and other locksmiths don't have the capability to duplicate a Medeco key. If you have ever seen one, they don't have typical key tooth arrangement.

I tried getting a copy of my Piper keys made at a wal-mart and what they gave me didn't work. Automated key copying kiosks in several other stores wouldn't either. However, I was able to go into an actual locksmith's shop and that guy had no trouble making a copy. I don't remember the exact price but we're talking just a couple dollars.

Regardless of any legal concerns, Home Depot and other locksmiths don't have the capability to duplicate a Medeco key. If you have ever seen one, they don't have typical key tooth arrangement.

Yes, that was understood from previous posts. That's not what I was responding to.

Really nice video of DEFCON. I love the conclusion at the end, basically Medeco claims that every single demonstration of someone opening their locks without a factory key is faked in some manner. Please tell me no one, not even the guy saying it, could actually believe a statement like that. There never has been, and never will be any security designed that cannot be circumvented with enough study and effort.

The lock picking videos at DEFCON alongside with with many other videos are always great. Never been to one, but always well done. Love the Wall of Sheep.

Back