Need a mechanic in Central Ohio

steingar

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
steingar
My airplane has been down for some time with a flat tire. If this isn't fixed this week I miss Oshkosh. Anyone know a mechanic who'd like to earn some extra cash?

Is the guy on the field too expensive or is he unavailable? I've not used him. Call over to Lancaster and see if they have anyone.

Is the guy on the field too expensive or is he unavailable? I've not used him. Call over to Lancaster and see if they have anyone.

He neither answers his phone nor responds to messages. He promised to do this last week and didn't come through. I'll make that call tomorrow, thank you. I plan on leaving the airport because of the lack of dependable mechanical services.

Michael what about the guys that did your annual on the Cherokee?

Haven't been able to get ahold of them. I know they no longer do the biz, but perhaps I can get one in. More calls tomorrow.

The Van Man is over on the Purple Board Michael.

Tried the Van Man over the weekend, but his phone wasn't taking calls. I'm going to try a bit more local.

Tried the Van Man over the weekend, but his phone wasn't taking calls. I'm going to try a bit more local.

The Van Man says he isn't available. BTW, you're saying that putting some air in it won't work?

The leak was out of the base of the valve stem and audible, so I doubt a patch is going to work all that well. Besides, I already bought a new tube. I just got off the phone with Roger Tucker, chief mechanic at OSU. He or one of his minions will come down and fix the flat. If all goes well (and it probably will, Roger is the soul of dependability and a mechanic I wholeheartedly recommend) I will see you all (or at least of subset of you) at the Show at Oshkosh!

That was the real killer in all this. It wasn't missing all that flying time in July. It wasn't having a major asset grounded. It was the danger of missing Oshkosh.

Just curious, why don't you just do it yourself?

I don't own an aircraft jack, and they're quite expensive. I also don't own any tools for English measurements, mine are all metric. I've also never in my life changed a tire on an airplane or anything else (I've removed tires from cars and bikes, but always had someone else change them). And the last time I changed a tire with an inner tube it was on a Schwinn.

Given all that this is best left to the pros. That said I'll be watching carefully if not doing the repair, and I'll have my eye out for an airplane jack. I'm not getting stuck like this again.

I would think a normal scissors-style auto jack under the landing gear strut should work just fine in most cases.

Perhaps in experienced hands. Mine are somewhat less so. Better to do the job with the proper tools I think. I've heard tales of airplanes falling off jacks and have even see a photo of a jack stuck through the wing skins of an aircraft. Better to learn it properly and do it with the right tools. It is a little nuts to endanger a $40,000 airplane for want of a $300 jack.

Perhaps in experienced hands. Mine are somewhat less so. Better to do the job with the proper tools I think. I've heard tales of airplanes falling off jacks and have even see a photo of a jack stuck through the wing skins of an aircraft. Better to learn it properly and do it with the right tools. It is a little nuts to endanger a $40,000 airplane for want of a $300 jack.

A wise man knows his limits.

Well, there's no one at Madison, and KOSU I seriously doubt there's hangars. Do you live north to make DLZ a viable option? Otherwise, where else to go?

Well, there's no one at Madison, and KOSU I seriously doubt there's hangars. Do you live north to make DLZ a viable option? Otherwise, where else to go?

Hangars are being constructed at OSU. If I can get into one it will be my first option. More money, butI'm already paying a LOT for an airplane I can't fly. If I were paying what they pay at Madison Co. I wouldn't mind so much the lack of a mechanic. I could invent the difference in schools or A&P school. If I can't get a hangar OSU is inviable. I will not leave my airplane out of doors. I'll sell it first.

Another possibility is CMH. I don't like it, but it is only marginally more expensive and closer to the Steinholme. If I go there I'm clearly second fiddle, but at least there's an orchestra.

I am going to be out of town for the next week, and super busy the next couple after that. Im doing a little here and there, but am doing my best to enjoy some me time with my new found extra time.

I am going to be out of town for the next week, and super busy the next couple after that. Im doing a little here and there, but am doing my best to enjoy some me time with my new found extra time.

Gave up on GE?

So the mechanic at OSU, Roger Tucker, stepped up and sent a guy out last night to fix it. He was supposed to let me know, I wanted to see it done (and perhaps help/get in the way) but don't follow through on that. But the airplane is repaired and is getting flown tonight. Need to do a bit of slow flight and some spot landings. My Oshkosh tip is saved! For the nonce anyway, provided nothing else breaks.

I'm still at GE, just not doing as much of the GA stuff any more.

Gave up on GE?

So the mechanic at OSU, Roger Tucker, stepped up and sent a guy out last night to fix it. He was supposed to let me know, I wanted to see it done (and perhaps help/get in the way) but don't follow through on that. But the airplane is repaired and is getting flown tonight. Need to do a bit of slow flight and some spot landings. My Oshkosh tip is saved! For the nonce anyway, provided nothing else breaks.

Guess I should clarify, Im not doing much of other peoples airplanes :D I have plenty left for me, a Taylorcraft that will need restored in the next few years, a Pietenpol to put back together as well a Fairchild 24 that needs restored too. And Grandpa's tcraft. And finishing up my CFi

Hangars are being constructed at OSU. If I can get into one it will be my first option. More money, but I'm already paying a LOT for an airplane I can't fly. If I were paying what they pay at Madison Co.
Madison is the same as I pay at Bolton, that's why it was a no-brainer for me to come here. I can't imagine OSU being anything remotely affordable, $500 maybe (total guess)?? That would be a dream for me if it was, I live inside their Delta. Glad to hear you got the tire fixed, hopefully see you at OSH!

Madison is the same as I pay at Bolton, that's why it was a no-brainer for me to come here. I can't imagine OSU being anything remotely affordable, $500 maybe (total guess)?? That would be a dream for me if it was, I live inside their Delta. Glad to hear you got the tire fixed, hopefully see you at OSH!

Dang, that sucks! That much to be out in the boonies? I thought those things went for $75/mo. I was just told informally that hangars at OSU are going for $315, but I'm talking to the airport director in the very near future.

I find this situation very unsettling. Should my aircraft develop engine troubles I'm up a creek. Can't work on it, can't get the field mechanic to work on it, and I can't ask someone to come in and do that kind of repair remotely.

Oh, well, airplane is all fixed for the nonce. At least I got some stick time last night. Even got a could good landings out of it.

Back