First Thoughts: OSH 2016

Another question: Do I need to buy a separate camping ticket if I'm camping with my plane?
Seperate from what? The plane gets in free. You need to buy a camping credential if you intend to camp (be it by your plane or in camp scholler).
In addition you'll need to purchase show registration for the days you are going to be attending.

Seperate from what? The plane gets in free. You need to buy a camping credential if you intend to camp (be it by your plane or in camp scholler).
In addition you'll need to purchase show registration for the days you are going to be attending.

Ok. The only ticket it see for camping on the website is for drive-in camping. Rather camp under my wing. I see this that it's $27/day, but no link to buy ticket.

Basic camping is the same whether you do it under the wing or in Scholler. There's really no reason to buy it in advance. THere's rarely a line in aircraft camping registration most times. What are you flying in?

This will be my first year going. Are bicycles a good idea? Was planning on bringing one.
Yes to bikes! We keep half a dozen bikes in our Oshkosh Trailer (where five of us we keep all of our gear in Oshkosh), and they make getting around the camping areas MUCH easier.

If you can't carry one in your plane, or you dont have local storage, no worries. Walk over to Goodwill on Day One and buy a bike for $25. Use it all week, and donate it back to Goodwill at the end of the convention.

I'm flying up on Sunday afternoon with a friend for the Cirrus party and leaving Monday night.

I've seen the TX flag in past years and then found this blog after 2015 Airventure. Never knew about the brewski party and cost of admission. Will be sure to pack a six pack or two of local craft malt beverage and look for the TX flag this year.

For UngaWunga, buy your camping credentials at the N40 registration building. The process is quick, easy, and painless until you pull out your credit card. You can get wrist bands for Airventure there also.

What year?

1972. As old as I am.

Speaking of flying out... anyone have any suggestions on airports to use as a 2/3rd the way there from NH stopping point? Either a place to camp or airport near an inexpensive hotel?

Bluffton Ohio has a nice little hojo across the street from the FBO and a Denny's I think. We've stopped there. Lots of stuff around Akron-Canton as well.

I have to say, I'm getting a bit concerned about OSH attendance this year. Despite low fuel prices, we have seen a steep drop off in flying here in South Texas.

Weirder still, I'm not feeling the huge buzz of excitement that is normally zinging around the internet about now. I can tell you that Mary and I are the only pilots at our airport who is planning to attend, which is just sad.

Anyone else feeling this? Or am I just worrying for nothing?

I have to say, I'm getting a bit concerned about OSH attendance this year. Despite low fuel prices, we have seen a steep drop off in flying here in South Texas.

Weirder still, I'm not feeling the huge buzz of excitement that is normally zinging around the internet about now. I can tell you that Mary and I are the only pilots at our airport who is planning to attend, which is just sad.

The economy has been in a slide for several months.
That said, the weather is supposed to be GREAT for Sun-Tues!

I'm not feeling it too much this year, but that's my own fault because my plane is out of annual and I need a BFR. But everytime a plane flies over my house, I look to see what direction it is headed. Even when I drive up, I don't really feel it until I get close to Fond du Lac. But you have to think how many pilots that are out there that don't participate on aviation message boards. I bet turnourt will still be high.

I have to deliver functional training in the morning in Calgary, then I'm off to the airport as cattle, direct ORD, and arriving Camp Scholler sometime on Saturday afternoon. Hoping for a good camp site.

Have to include a bakery stop in Racine...What flavor Jay?

My day count until departure is less than 1.

I'm not sure why you would be concerned. Are you an investor? ;-)

Seriously, my experience this year is the opposite of yours. I'm seeing more interest from more people. The wild card with Osh is always the weather. From where I'm sitting it looks like turnout will be just fine assuming the heat wave passes.

The first thought of OSH was a Single White Male With Big Orifice?

Crazy pilots!!!

Last edited:
I've been too heads down to get excited, but it's starting...

I suspect a general malaise exists because people are being forced into the evil of two lessers...but let it all go for a week, you aren't going to change it.

I have to deliver functional training in the morning in Calgary, then I'm off to the airport as cattle, direct ORD, and arriving Camp Scholler sometime on Saturday afternoon. Hoping for a good camp site.

Pecan and raspberry! :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

You don't even need to go into Racine to get one. O&H have opened up a few stores over the past few years. There is one right off I-94 in Sturtevant, exit 333.

You don't even need to go into Racine to get one. O&H have opened up a few stores over the past few years. There is one right off I-94 in Sturtevant, exit 333.
Cool!

Looks like we will be spending Saturday night with friends in Racine, weather permitting. I suspect I will be eating Walleye pike for dinner, and kringle for breakfast!

I told @SixPapaCharlie to show up today so we could pack for a early departure Sunday morning. My original plan was to take a 6 man tent, well after seeing his bag we decided we should take a 8 man tent. lol

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!
That bag is in the back seat and takes up twice as much space as a person.

I hope you realize if it starts raining your bag is the first thing going out of the tent. lol

Yup and it IS raining, just tapering off. Apparently I got the rain fly set up right because it's dry in here. A few more minutes and I will bring the rest of the sleeping gear over and turn in.

I hear crickets outside.

i have way more stuff than that.
stove, ezup, bacon, bourbon, bourbon, beer, fireball, more beer, eggs, bacon, table, chairs etc

i have way more stuff than that.
stove, ezup, bacon, bourbon, bourbon, beer, fireball, more beer, eggs, bacon, table, chairs etc
I think we may have you beat. 10 person tent. 3 tables. 5 chairs. 2 cots. stove (not a dinky Coleman one, either). Awning. Bacon. Eggs. Beer. 24qt pot. 20 qt pot. homemade chili powder. shrimp. chicken. andouille sausage. beans. More bacon. Oh yeah, a kitchen sink.
Oh yeah, we plan to stop by O&H and get some kringles, too.

We spent last night with friends in our old stomping grounds, Iowa City, IA, when a wall of storms prevented access to Wisconsin.

It worked out great, as our son surprised us by driving over from Des Moines, and our daughter (who is driving to OSH) popped in, too. That was the first time we'd all been together in a couple of years!

We aim to be in the North 40 by noon. The weather looks a bit squishy, though, so we shall see.

While in the government, a buddy and I had a contest to find the highest density acronyms in a sentence of at least 10 words in a document. Our record was 60% -- 6 out of every 10 words were acronyms.

Because our meetings were across disciplines, people left the meetings thoroughly confused. They were SOL.

Texas. Lots of jobs in Texas, Grant. Tons of jobs. No state income tax. Airports everywhere. $3.00 avgas. Many people who appreciate good jambalaya.

Jay, I see a Texas flag about half way up the south side of the North 40, near the large bath house. Is that you?

Guess that wasn't true. GAC almost full, already turning away twins and large singles, and GAP full by Sunday night. Whhoooooo. Big year.

Yup and it IS raining, just tapering off. Apparently I got the rain fly set up right because it's dry in here. A few more minutes and I will bring the rest of the sleeping gear over and turn in.

I hear crickets outside.

Heard we missed the frog strangler last night.

Jay, I see a Texas flag about half way up the south side of the North 40, near the large bath house. Is that you?

That's him!

Yup! Stop by for coffee in the AM, beer in the PM.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back