Question about replacing a lost medical certificate?

DMD3.

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DMD3.
When mailing a request to the FAA for replacing a lost medical certificate, do I simply fill out an AC Form 8060-56 and submit it to the Medical Certification Division? That's what it says at the website, but when looking at the AC form, it appears as though it's only for replacing pilot certificates (there's an option to select the certificate you want replaced, but it only lists the different pilot license'; it doesn't allow you to select medical cert.)

Should I simply select the type of license I have, but just mail the form to the Medical Certification Division? Perhaps if I write on the 'notes' part of the inclosed check that I'm replacing a medical, they'll know that's what I want.

I would call my Doctor and ask her the procedure. How much time left before next examination? (Reminds me I've got two months :( ) Might be easier to just do a fresh one than deal with FAA.

You use that form but note that you don't send it to the Airmen's registry but the Aeromedical folks. If you've lost both your pilot and medical, you need two forms (one to each FAA office).

You can call or email and get them to send you a temporary. Back in the day I lost mine it said they'd telegraph it to me, but they faxed it. Now it says they'll fax it, but I believe they email a PDF.

Amusingly, the FCC now sends out all their original certificates as PDF files (why not, if someone wants to verify it, it's easily done online, the paper certificate is really anachronistic). The medical certificate you get from the FAA will just be a computer printer output (as are they all these days) with fake signature of whoever the FAA chief medical guy is these days. Mine had a rubber stamp on it, but I bet they don't even bother with that anymore.

I don't know the procedure for getting a replacement, but I know my Doc after he issues the certificate he always waves it about and says "Do Not Lose This....or it's a real problem! "

I never have asked him why...!

My medical always comes from OK City, and I generally make a copy for my records. I have to keep track of which one is the original because it's very difficult to tell.

My medical always comes from OK City, and I generally make a copy for my records. I have to keep track of which one is the original because it's very difficult to tell.

That's why I like to sign forms at work with a blue pen. Makes it easy to tell the copy.

It's in the electricity. Should the question come up those who have a reason to ask can look it up.

While I was at a rural AIRPORT, a pilot landed under suspicious circumstances (he'd first landed on a highway and then took off again.) When questioned by the local sheriff he had neither his PPL or the medical, but did have ID. They drove him to a hotel and the next morning let him leave. The LEO checked the FAA and confirmed he had medical and PPL.

(He'd made the off airport landing because fuel began streaming from the wing sump.)

At my last medical exam, the AME printed two copies of the certificate. One for me and one for his paper files. He told me if mine got lost or destroyed, he has one on file.

Back