Drug Running

Early this year a young kid that worked with me was arrested. He was speeding through a construction zone and when pulled over the cop discovered he had an expired driver license and appeared to be high. He was arrested and his vehicle was searched. The search yielded about 150 blotters of LSD and some cocaine. Though I believe the main reason he was pulled over is that he is white.

My cousin owns a cabin on georgian bay Ontario. He also has a distant DWI in new York state. He goes back and forth with no trouble whatsoever and has never had to pay a fee.

Last edited:
I had a private pilot student years ago who had spent his entire career as a traffic cop. He had some very interesting observations about society in general. If an adult driver doesn't like to follow basic traffic laws it's very likely they have some other character traits going on as well. Pull them over and do some checking and you'll likely find some other "things" as well.

Kind of depressing assessment of the present day police state. I'd bet if you shook the tree of most police departments (and particularly for no good reason), you'd find far more "things" than in a proportionate cross-section of the general population. The kind of power that is unavoidably invested in LEOs attracts the kinds of personalities least suited or desirable to wield it.

Kind of depressing assessment of the present day police state. I'd bet if you shook the tree of most police departments (and particularly for no good reason), you'd find far more "things" than in a proportionate cross-section of the general population. The kind of power that is unavoidably invested in LEOs attracts the kinds of personalities least suited or desirable to wield it.

I used to drive a 2005 Nissan 350z with tinted windows.... clean car, not all riced out or anything but I used to get pulled over all the time for no reason... except for whatever reason the cop makes up (usually windows) Since I was usually going to or from work I was always wearing professional attire... never had a problem, usually ended up in friendly conversation with the cop. It got to the point wear my heart didn't even skip a beat when seeing the lights in the review. That was between ages of 25 and 29...

Now I've turned 30, I decided to step up the game in the vehicle department. I upgraded (still have the Z, since society says I can't drive a nice car everywhere) a little bit to a 650HP 2015 Z06 and may or may not speed around like a maniac at times and I have not got pulled once :fcross:. My theory... young d-bag kids usually drive a 350Z type car, and old men drive Vettes.

Cops definitely profile, but I can't say I blame them... sadly, they are probably right most of the time.

What's interesting in the profile only stops is that people submit to the search. That or the drug dog handlers are really good at teaching the dogs to "alert" on anything at all. Probably both.

What's interesting in the profile only stops is that people submit to the search.

I've never understood that.

Only once have I been asked to consent to a search. The cop was nice about it and I had nothing to hide. I was on my bike and he said he just wanted to pat me down to make sure I wasn't carrying. I said it was okay by me, he did, then gave me a helluva break on my speeding ticket because I wasn't a prick. Instead of 102 in a 60, he wrote me up for 82 in a 60. Said he was a biker too and understands the need to unwind it a little every now and then on a nice day.

Only once have I been asked to consent to a search. The cop was nice about it and I had nothing to hide. I was on my bike and he said he just wanted to pat me down to make sure I wasn't carrying. I said it was okay by me, he did, then gave me a helluva break on my speeding ticket because I wasn't a prick. Instead of 102 in a 60, he wrote me up for 82 in a 60. Said he was a biker too and understands the need to unwind it a little every now and then on a nice day.

A little off-topic, but something I've always been curious about since I don't ride bikes...

Wouldn't it be possible for a lot (most?) bike riders to just speed off and make it very hard to get stopped? I'm assuming the cop didn't have time to get the plate number down. For example, you're driving 20 over, pass a cop that's going the other way, and you see him turn around. Isn't it possible to just speed off, weave around traffic, etc, and then take a side road and be gone before he ever knew where you went?

I guess not being a bike rider, I've always viewed bikes as being easy to get away from cops and never get a speeding ticket.

A little off-topic, but something I've always been curious about since I don't ride bikes...

Wouldn't it be possible for a lot (most?) bike riders to just speed off and make it very hard to get stopped? I'm assuming the cop didn't have time to get the plate number down. For example, you're driving 20 over, pass a cop that's going the other way, and you see him turn around. Isn't it possible to just speed off, weave around traffic, etc, and then take a side road and be gone before he ever knew where you went?

I guess not being a bike rider, I've always viewed bikes as being easy to get away from cops and never get a speeding ticket.

Can't outrun a radio.

Might be more possible today where there are firm "rules of engagement" where the cops won't chase if it puts the public in danger.

And, if you get caught evading a cop, the charges are far more serious than a speeding ticket.

The cops have these fancy new thingamajiggers called "radios" as well as other squad cars and even aircraft and motorcycles.

And they very often work in pairs when looking for speeders.

Life isn't like Smokey and the Bandit, and cops are not all as stupid as Roscoe P. Coltrane.

Isn't it possible to just speed off, weave around traffic, etc, and then take a side road and be gone before he ever knew where you went?

It's been done, but depending on your riding skills he may just find you at the hospital. :yes:

In the early days of sportbikes(80's) *some* folks ran all the time. But it ain't funny anymore, brave new world can't be playing those games. Lots of fairly tame motorcycle stops end in felony charges these days. If they have it they'll call air support to bust running bikes. Fun is over boys.

Around here the police don't even try. If the motorcycle runs, they just let them go. All the local riders know this and at the first sign of lights they bolt. I have an acquaintance who rides, he doesn't even have a tag on his bike, they all know who he is, but they have yet to catch him.

And, if you get caught evading a cop, the charges are far more serious than a speeding ticket.

This. When the flashing lights are turned on, pull over. Don't ****'em off since most of the time they are just doing their job. If they are being jerks it's a whole 'nuther story but you still can't run from them and come out ahead.

This. When the flashing lights are turned on, pull over. Don't ****'em off since most of the time they are just doing their job. If they are being jerks it's a whole 'nuther story but you still can't run from them and come out ahead.

Obey, you must obey. Even evil, heck especially evil. Obey. :eek:

Last summer, coming out of Colorado into Wyoming, about 1am on the Interstate somewhere near Rock Springs, with non-Wyoming license plates, I drove past a cop (pulled over, must have finished writing a ticket to a car that was long gone), he pulled out into traffic, passed a couple of cars and got behind me, and lit up his lights.

Pulled me over, asked for license and registration, shined his lights thru my open window into the back of the car (small SUV) looking at all the crap piled into the car. Finally admitted he pulled me over for a light out on the front (high-beam headlight).

Mostly he pulled me over for out of state license plates, I am guessing.

In the 80's I built a car no one could catch. They tried many times. The police came knocking on my door a couple times. I met the the man who owns the helicopter crop duster in Mason County IL. a couple years ago at a fly-in. When he found out who I was he told me a few time the police would call and ask him to come chase me. He told me he would tell them there was no way he could catch me. He tried once. He said he was out working and he saw me. He said his helicopter could only do around 110 and he had no way of catching me.

If you live in the country, with a lot of open ground, the radio does no good. The police are spaced to far apart. At the speeds we are talking you are not calling for help. For I was gone. Also the really smart people never travel in a straight path. I turned all the time. Hard to find someone who does not go straight. I am talking country roads out in the sticks.

I never once received one ticket when I had my hotrod. I owned it three years. They could not catch me. In a city with copters all around and police every other block, you are caught. In the sticks, good luck.
My buddy who helped me build my hotrod, and I made a game from running from the police. To us it was fun times. Those days are long gone. I do dream about building another one and tearing up the streets again. But its only a dream.
I bet anything the cops we would do this to, today live a boring life in sticksville. We gave them some excitement. I bet they have not seen the likes of this since.
One day this man comes knocking on my door. He is dressed in a suit and tie. I answer the door. He tells me to stay out of Fulton County for they are looking for me. Before this man was down the street, my buddy and I was in the car heading to fulton county. Now I do flight training in Fulton County. The first time I went for this training the police showed up. They did not say anything to me, but they did speak with my CFI. I have no idea what was said and never asked.

My son and daughter was with their Aunt when she was pulled over in Fulton County IL.. When the officer found out my kids name and that I was their dad, he told my kids. He said..My dad hates your dad. For he would come home from work complaining about this Monte Carlo that would come through his county doing 130 like he was doing 55. At 130 she was not even starting to run. She would do 200. I drove her everywhere at around 130 mph. She was clocked once at 186. The cop who clocked it, his son was driving it when this happened. Middle of the afternoon. They shut down highway 136 looking for us. They never found us for we where...Gone. The next day this dudes dad is knocking on my door along with the cop we outran. When we walk in the door after this happened, My buddy calls his mom. His mom said they thought is was a camaro and that they clocked us at 186. She also told us all highways in and out of town are closed for they where looking for us. We were at my house.
My Point, in the city if you run, you are caught. In the country, if you have a fast car. Good luck catching it.

Last edited:

Is it so depressing to you that you would never think to call them if you had a problem ? Or do you still expect them to take out the trash when it suits you ?

Is it so depressing to you that you would never think to call them if you had a problem ? Or do you still expect them to take out the trash when it suits you ?

I'll call then and expect them to come every day and twice on Sunday as long as they keep cashing those rather generous pay and especially pension checks.

The book Sugar Alpha a 'cough' fictitious story of skydiver and alleged drug runner Roger Nelson is an interesting read. Not great writing but it has airplanes. Supposedly started by Roger when he was in the pen and finished by his daughter after his death. His story is as Henning contends those on the right team are allowed to escape. Think he did time for taxes, the smart ones get it from improper laundering.

Roger was a good guy. He taught me how to skydive.

It was very apparent, based on his vehicles, aircraft, and private airport that he at some point must have had an alternate income stream. (Not that I care, mind you).

I'm going to buy the book.

I bet you called the civil rights marches trollish.

You lost that bet.

I understand that you like rebellion. Please understand that rebellion in this forum really doesn't do much good. In particular, rebellion directed at me does no good at all.

It is amazing how many criminals do something stupid that allows them to be caught.

In December 1981, a heist at IAH air cargo netted the thieves a haul of gold jewelry worth several hundred thousand dollars.

For some reason I can't find anything on Google about it except a transcript of an appeal hearing.

http://law.justia.com/cases/federal/appellate-courts/F2/726/173/188776/

A few months after the theft, two guys were pulled over on the Jersey Turnpike just outside Newark. They were doing somewhere around 70, and as you may recall the national speed limit at the time was 55 MPH.

The cops were given permission to search the car, and they discovered the gold jewelry in the trunk. An Air France employee that was found the morning after the crime, handcuffed to a light pole a couple of miles the from the airport, claimed he was robbed and kidnapped but he was arrested and tried as a co-conspirator. All three men were convicted of various crimes related to the theft.

But for the poor decision of exceeding the speed limit, these guys might have gotten away with their crime.

Lots of fairly tame motorcycle stops end in felony charges these days. If they have it they'll call air support to bust running bikes. Fun is over boys.

Sometimes they end up with dead crotch rocket sporties too.

This search turns up almost 20 deaths on the first two pages. You might think the predictable outcome of running from the cops at speeds well in excess of 100 MPH would tend to discourage the practice, but it looks like there's no shortage of players.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=motorcycle+chase+dead

One of my favorites was the largest(at the time) armored car heist. Circa 10 million. Inside job as they always are, about a week later they found 5 million stacked in the corner of one guys apartment and 5 million in the other guys apartment. They got away with 10 million and did nothing.:lol:

Roger was a good guy. He taught me how to skydive.

It was very apparent, based on his vehicles, aircraft, and private airport that he at some point must have had an alternate income stream. (Not that I care, mind you).

I'm going to buy the book.

Based on this thread, I read 4 different smuggling books over the weekend (we were at the inlaws' house, the weather stunk, and I was bored).

"Sugar Alpha" was not a very good read. There were some good stories, but most of it had been embellished to make Roger appear to be a saint, rather than a drug runner. Also, it was distracting that the book was used to repeatedly trash (with poorly written tales and dialogue) the guy who wrote:

"Marijuana Smuggling for Fun and Profit", which was a much better book, and told many of the same stories as in Sugar Alpha, but from a different standpoint and in a much better style of writing.

Being on a smuggling tale bent, I also read "American Desparado" and "Welcome to Prison--Enjoy your Stay"."Desparado" was brutal. Jon Roberts was a truly bad guy. The guy who wrote "Welcome to Prision" was a good writer, but that was a short book.

Based on this thread, I read 4 different smuggling books over the weekend (we were at the inlaws' house, the weather stunk, and I was bored).

"Sugar Alpha" was not a very good read. There were some good stories, but most of it had been embellished to make Roger appear to be a saint, rather than a drug runner. Also, it was distracting that the book was used to repeatedly trash (with poorly written tales and dialogue) the guy who wrote:

"Marijuana Smuggling for Fun and Profit", which was a much better book, and told many of the same stories as in Sugar Alpha, but from a different standpoint and in a much better style of writing.

Being on a smuggling tale bent, I also read "American Desparado" and "Welcome to Prison--Enjoy your Stay"."Desparado" was brutal. Jon Roberts was a truly bad guy. The guy who wrote "Welcome to Prision" was a good writer, but that was a short book.

Yeah, but did you learn anything from them?

Just finished "Sugar Alpha". It was over the top "Roger worship", definitely!

How much of that is actually true?

How is that legal?

I asked the same question. Kid's dad was a lawyer and couldn't believe it either. It was not in NC, I forget which state. He had a good lawyer (plenty of $$ from running drugs) and still got convicted and put in jail.

Back