Flight training in the Denver/Fort Collins area

Skydreamer2015

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Skydreamer2015
Need some help. I'm looking to finish my flight training in the Denver to the Fort Collins areas. Anyone have any experience or recommendations with a flight school, fbo or club that provides great training with hopefully great rates too? Thanks as always!!

Need some help. I'm looking to finish my flight training in the Denver to the Fort Collins areas. Anyone have any experience or recommendations with a flight school, fbo or club that provides great training with hopefully great rates too? Thanks as always!!

Great rates? not so much...

Maybe check out Vector at EIK.

I used Western Air at BJC but they are part of the Aspen borg now...

MacAir at BJC has newer equipment and some good instructors but they aren't cheap. Patrick is really good if he is still there.

Journeys at BDU is okay. They have some experienced instructors. John Bowman is exceptional.

At BJC, look at Rocky Mountain Flight School www.rmflight.com. I think they have the best rates at BJC. Not sure how they compare to other airports.

I learned to fly at Rocky Mountain Flight School www.rmflight.com at Broomfield KBJC. Wonderful place. Great instructors, including many dedicated long-term professionals. I am a huge fan.

The owner also owns a respected A&P shop at the same field. I believe the RMFS planes are very well maintained. Most are older and I don't think there is anything full glass panel. But there's a heck of a range - two 125hp C-152 Sparrowhawks, mutiple 172s including RG and 180hp, C182, C182RG, C-310 , two Seminoles, Arrow, Warrior, three Archers - a full squadron! Very affordable rates - the best around, especially for the C-152s.

I'm in Boulder KBDU so have mostly been flying with Journeys Aviation www.journeysaviation.com especially due to two years of highway construction. Great attitude and also many good instructors. The aforementioned John Bowman used to fly with the Red Baron Pizza Aerobatic Team. Some darn good folks there. Smaller aircraft selection, with 2 C-172s, a 150hp C-150, two DA-20s, 2 DA-40s, an Arrow, a Twin Comanche, etc.

Vector Air in Erie KEIK has a solid reputation and I was impressed with them, but they aren't as convenient for me. Don't know Fort Collins KFNL or Greeley KGXY.

Our area rates seem to be lower than many places. C-172s are widely available from $95-110 hourly.

Please feel invited to PM or email me and I'm happy to talk more. Lots of people help(ed) me a lot and I'm happy to return the favor.

Last edited:
RMF at BJC is owned by our mechanic. We know because once in a while we have to wait for our airplane for the money makers to butt in line ahead of us for something. LOL! (Kinda kidding, kinda not. Greg is a good guy though and it's very rare. But his shop is very busy with paying customers and his own fleet these days.)

Others have joked about the "Aspen Borg", that would be Aspen Flying Club at APA. Not the best rates always but generally consistently good maintenance and the place has been run very well under Chris Dillis who started with a few Gobosh aircraft at KEIK and grew his business enough to buy the old Aspen as well as now at least one competitor. If not more. I don't keep track. But they're running that club pretty well as a business and not charging under what it costs them to maintain things properly, for the most part.

Which brings up a warning. At some of the smaller airports you'll find some "great deals". Ask around a bit and make sure you don't hear horror stories of deferred maintenance. Seems like every few years there's some school at one of the Denver area airports that only has two or three planes and offers prices that look too good to be true. Let me tell you, they are. All of those places have gone under and been reborn under new names multiple times.

Judging by the changes in the fleet at Independence Aviation at APA (and only that, I don't know em), Independence has branched out into more types. They were almost exclusively Cirrus only and are still heavily Cirrus oriented if you like those, and have the extra $$$ to fly them. Seems like a professionally run place also but I guess being an all Cirri shop wasn't working out or they just decided to grow a while back. Their fleet list is taking on various aircraft lately that scream "normal flight school" to me. They're hosts to the IMC/IFR/whatever Club at APA and host and run a number of FAASTeam seminars. They're much more active in the "safety" community than anyone else on the field, IMHO.

The above are just impressions from hanging around the airport for a very long time. But I'm not involved or active in the rental scene really. I just talk to folks and walk to the hangar and open it with my key and pull the 182 out and go flying. So grain of salt and all that.

Can't really recommend any instructors. Haven't spent enough time with any lately. Know two of the busy DPEs hat cover APA and they're always giving a lot of checkrides over at Aspen. Don't see much horn tooting about checkrides at the other places by that doesn't mean they aren't happening. Just poor marketing.

The instructor I liked at Aspen left some time ago when he got too busy teaching prospective airline kids how to do it the "flight crew" way in sims. And then moved overseas for a family issue or something. Anyway, kinda miss him. No BS guy. But he ain't here no mo'. So I can't recommend him. ;)

I was poking around in my audio archives and found our podcast's interview with Chris Dillis back when he had just barely started to move one of the Gobosh aircraft from EIK to APA. Seems like forever ago now. I think one of them is hangared next door to our hangar. He's aviation crazy but also seems to have business sense. Aspen has done well under him.

I wouldn't hesitate to use Aspen for rentals but I would give a hairy eyeball to the larger numbered end of the fleet in the Skyhawks and look for the "lemon or two" that are in that group of airplanes and quietly avoid those. They're not BAD, but there's plenty to choose from.

In the higher end stuff they have very few problems with MX and upkeep *except* for their 182RG which finally skidded itself down the runway without a nose gear, on an FAA CFI ride, no less.

Retracts at APA: I hate to say this but be careful if you're going for your Commerical eventually.

They're few and far between nowadays and they've had the ____ kicked out of all of them.

Not really Aspen's fault on theirs finally getting whacked, nor any of the other clubs that have had it happen. There is very little grass growing under any of them when they're "up" and not "down" and Commercial students just beat the holy hell out of any nice retract that comes anywhere near my home airport.

That's all I've got. Good luck finding a good CFI and rental place.

I'm not really dialed in to the rental scene either but I did get about 20 hours of tailwheel instruction at Aspen with Michael Shannon in the summer of 2014. I was impressed with him, the club and the airplane I flew (Xtreme Decathlon). I also flew one of their Goboshes. My impression is that it's a well-run club with a well maintained fleet. Can't comment on how competitive their pricing is.

Thanks for the replies so far guys! I have looked into all the schools/clubs that you all have mentioned & I'm in information overload!! Lot to choose from & it's going to be difficult to determine which will be best for the money. Anyone have experience or advice on McAir? I see it's a 141 school. What's everyone's thoughts on a 141 school?

Since you asked Fort Collins FNL has two fixed wing and two helicopter schools. Non-towered now but testing a 'virtual tower' next summer. Outside the Class B and D areas to the south you can get more for your time in the practices areas. Both seem to take good care of the aircraft. Since I own I don't have much direct interaction. Haven't heard any negatives. I do need a flight review this month and will probably use The Flying School (Colorado Contrails).

Thanks for the replies so far guys! I have looked into all the schools/clubs that you all have mentioned & I'm in information overload!! Lot to choose from & it's going to be difficult to determine which will be best for the money. Anyone have experience or advice on McAir? I see it's a 141 school. What's everyone's thoughts on a 141 school?

Generally unless you need 141 to pay for it with student loans, you'll be better off staying 91. McAir caters to the 141 students from Metro State, amongst other local collegiate programs.

I think the biggest struggle with anyone learning to fly is consistency and regardless of the school. I think Aspen has a pretty good program for turning out pilots. At least their FB page consistently is posting new pilots in various stages of their program. I do know that Chris is adamant about having safe, reliable aircraft and instructors.

Rocky Mountain at BJC is also good and has a wide fleet of aircraft. I did a few flights out of there while transitioning from LSA to PPL.

Erie and Vector has a good program as well and the owner up there is also very diligent about the program.

Aspen Flying Club is pretty good. Check out their rates. Monthly dues are $35, 172s rent from $99/hr to $136/hr wet. No initiation fees; one $40/year for the insurance pool. If that's expensive then call me an idiot for joining that club. :)

I am taking PPL lessons through Rocky Mountain Flight at BJC. I am very impressed with their instruction. Nice mix of planes. VERY reasonable rates (lowest in the area as far as I know). They are up front about all their charges. The rates they charge are wet. They will go over this with you if you decide to fly with them, but they do charge dues. It's $30/ month or $12/ day. If you only plan to fly twice a month, the daily dues are your best bet. They work it into the final cost of your flight.

It is a very well run and laid back school. All the instructors are very knowledgeable and contain a wide range of instruction and experience. They are Part 61 certified, if that makes any difference to you.

So, did you complete your PP-ASEL... and then go on to Gliders and Civil Air Patrol?

Jer/ Eberhard, jer@jerslash.net still teaching at Greeley and Loveland.

Guess I'm getting old and nostalgic ... that was a fun read. Good to see some of the old posters ... really miss a few who are no longer with us on POA or at all.
Take care, y'all!

Back