Day one.... IPC after 14 years

Unit74

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Unit74
I earned my PPl and INST ratings 14 years ago. After getting the instrument, I never used it again. Money, military and family all had other plans for me.

Last year I bought a plane and have put about 120 hours in the book. But that voice kept nagging me, over and over. I have been grounded for weather that wa otherwise flyable and been stuck 60 miles from home due to thin layers of fog.

Well, maws supposed to go deer hunting this weekend, but all my plans fell through. I took vacation through Wednesday and found myself with nothing to do and a whole lotta time to do it in.

I made the call.

Spent about 4.5 hours on the ground shaking the dust and rust off. Surprisingly though I knew a lot of stuff, and with some promting, I could work through more. We covered all the circular topics.

Went up for the first flight and at 1000 agl, the doggies were on. For the next hour, we worked on three LPVs, hold entries and PTs and systems. I did surprisingly well, and much better than I thought I would. The first two LPVs went very well. The third my CFi begAn to pester me and ask about all the nifty gadgets in the plane and all that. I thought he was doing it to distract me, but didn't want to be rude and tell him to shut up. Well, the approach looked more like a snake pattern and he was" mission accomplished".

He also chastised me for changing tanks while just outside the FAF. The 430w reminded me to,swap tanks, so I did as normal not thinking I a in a critical stage of flight.

What made the training much more intense is that there was some decent winds, about 8G15 on the surface and almost 90 deg to the approach course. I was getting pushed all over yet was able to keep it under control. I busted 100ft twice due to getting fixated on the DG while getting tossed around by the wind.

All in it was a good day. Tomorrow it's the rest of the circular. I just hole the winds calm down though. I was sweating profusely, and it wasn't that hot!

If anyone is in my boat, I say stop thinking about it and step up to the plate. I procrastinated for 17 months saying I'd do it. I wish I would have done it sooner.

Nothing better than getting back in the saddle!

I did some currency work with my instructor a couple weeks ago, at night, with gusty conditions, and scattered showers. You almost don't need a hood for that kind of work, but after managing to fly the approaches (one while talking to NY TRACON), I felt good about my ability to handle the plane. I suggest you get some night work in while you knock that instrument rust off - even if you don't use it, it'll keep you sharp for less dicey conditions.

With all the GPS, SVT and glass cockpit setups now, it must feel like a Back To The Future event.

Day two midday update.....

Three approaches into Little Rock completed.

After about an hour of light to mod chop, we went to do partial panel and I spun around to grab the instrument blackout cards.....got vertigo. Threw up in my mouth. We returned to the field. CFI flew the plane back because he never has flown an Archer and wanted to. Ok fine with me. His landing was not so good. The heat and the winds are working us both over. He wanted me to swear I wouldn't tell anyone about the landing!!

OA not a good day to train. Good experience to do it in adverse conditions like gusty winds, but this is not remotely fun today.

We landed and a got my bearings again. Had a small snack and a drink. It got hot today. We broke 92 degrees.

About 2 we went up again, worked on holds and DME arcs. Nocked the rust off those pretty quick. After the DME we shot another approach failing the vacuum system. It was a bit sloppy but image it in never getting more than two dots of deflection, but I was hunkering for sure.

What I am failing to mention to this point, is an Airmet T popped up on us. It was gusty when we started this AM but nothing was forecast. When we were at LIT they were asking us for PIREPS and the CRJs were getting bumped around too.

This flying was by far the most difficult and mentally taxing flying I have ever done. I completed the IPC under what I would call extremely challenging conditions. My CFI asked me a couple times if we wanted to call it for today.

Soooo....... Now the really not so fun part.

As if getting tossed around like I was in a drying machine for the last two hours was not enough, now we did partial panel with u usuall attitudes. First recovery was text book. Second it took me about 3-4 seconds to figure out what the hell was going on, but otherwise a decent recovery and minimal loss of altitude......and there it was.

As soon as he said good. Nice job, I was like....hold on a second. Then I blurted out YOUR AIRPLANE!

I grabbed my shirt, pulled it open and vomited right down my chest. I did this about 3 times before I settle d down. The last maneuver he put us in a negative G attitude then pushed over into a right steep turn. After all the turbulent air, the sweltering heat and the headache I could feel coming, it was enough.

He left these for the end and I am great full for that. We were done, but we're gonna work on some other things I ask d for, but that was the end of that. I have never really felt that sick in a plane ever. A little vertigo, sure. But never puked.

We B lined it for the airport and got on the ground as soon as possible. Fortunate, the FBO has a shower, so I stripped down, washed my clothes in the shower and clean up best I could. I had an extra shirt in my bag because I get sweaty and like to change on longer flights. Came in handy today.

I ended up **** canning my shirt and free balling it on the flight home. I sat on my tail cone cover to keep the seat from getting wet from my shorts. When I got back to my hangar, I spent about 40 min sopping up vomit and peanut chunks out of the brand spankin new carpet.

So the verdict......

Given the conditions, I did well. I need to brush up on some small things and will practice those. But over all, I spent 11 hours between ground and flight and am now comfortable and current traveling IFR again. I just hope my future flight do not turn out like the last two days...

Unit74....once again.... Instrument pilot!

Awesome! Sounds like a lot of fun. I'll be knocking the IFR rust off soon too. (albeit from a much shorter hiatus)

Anybody here ever puked when flying solo IMC? I've never puked in flight. I imagine that'd be quite a distraction, being sick and IMC at the same time.

The only time I've ever got close to throwing up was with foggles on, never in actual IMC. There is just something about wearing foggles and being thrown around on a hot day... :(

Awesome! Sounds like a lot of fun. I'll be knocking the IFR rust off soon too. (albeit from a much shorter hiatus)

Gotta say, your idea of fun and mine are radically different...
But congrats to the op for getting back into the saddle.

The only time I've ever got close to throwing up was with foggles on, never in actual IMC. There is just something about wearing foggles and being thrown around on a hot day... :(

Yea, even in instrument training, th foggles bothered me. When we got actual time, I felt more in control if that makes any sense.

Hot, continuous mod chop and unusual attitudes did me in. But, I made it to the finish line. Flying IFR on Friday to OKC so that should be a good experience. Even though it's forcast CAVU, I'll still go IFR to get the experience.

Never barfed but got a case of the leans so bad the only thing that was keeping me inside the airplane was the door. Haha. Just flew it with my body trying to exit the door and my head tilted sideways and that worked fine.

Sorry about your shirt but congrats!

Congrats, good to see you back in the system! I am going to try to keep current AND proficient so I don't lose the ability to use the ticket when I need it.

I am this > < close to checkride. It's been a fun ride and actually not very frustrating as the PPL was at times. The Archer is a nice platform for IFR. Our planes are equipped very similarly:)

Back