1963 C-182 Skylane for sale

Not trying to bust them,my thoughts,avionics are older,the time since overhaul is low engine use over many years. Missing logs also doesn't help. I wouldn't be afraid of the plane,but would want a slight discount.

I'd chalk it up to a few things, none of which are deal breakers and most which can't be helped, but some that can:

- Out of annual
- Engine almost at calendar TBO
- Old avionics ("Very capable cross country platform" seems pretty exaggerated for a 182 with no IFR GPS or autopilot)
- Missing logs is big in many people's eyes. Were they really "lost" or were there major repairs to try to hide?

Can't do much about the last three of those, other than adjust the price. But this one is easy to fix:

- Really needs a better picture of the panel! There are a bunch of the outside, and a few of the seats, which is great, but one little picture taken through the right side door of the panel, where you can't even see what's in there or how it looks. Sit in the back seat and take a few pics of the panel - whole thing, left side, right side, center, whatever. And remove the headsets, wires, portable GPS (unless it's being sold with the plane) and other extraneous stuff.

Is the pricing right? Looks like a pretty nice airplane except as noted above.

Last edited:
I can't speak to the price, but my personal notes if I were in the 182 market: it's somehow both not nice enough and also too nice for the people looking for an early 182 to build out.
It's neither a good XC machine (it has a STOL kit and needs min $10k in avionics in the next 4 years and probably more like $20k plus whatever a decent set of gauges will cost)
nor a good Backcountry machine (it has the wrong STOL kit which will require $$$$ to replace, no mention of Wing X or big-tire STCs, it's too nice (expensive) to gut and engine upgrade, and it will still require $5-10k in avionics in 4 years)

Logs are a big deal to some people, I don't mind so much on a 182 but I would spend a long time looking at the firewall and the gearbox given the prop strike and the obvious off-road aspirations of the owner.

The engine averages out to only 40 hours/year, which is less than I like to see. If it's been flown a lot recently, that would be good to see in the ad.

It has nice paint and I'm a big fan of the shoulder harnesses. The bottom line is that this plane doesn't meet the two common 182 missions as is.

My $0.02, worth everything you paid for it.

Last edited:
He's going to start annual this weekend. I'm pretty sure he was holding off on that pending an offer, and combining a pre-buy inspection with an annual.

Aged out engine ... yeah, not much one can do about that. I get the same cringe when I replace 7 year old tires with plenty of tread left on my 5th wheel RV. :(

I'm quite positive that the missing logs are in no way any maneuver, coverup or deceit on the owner's part. I trust him completely. He's an honerable, standup guy.

Thanks for the points on more panel photos - I'll pass that along.

Given that it is listed thru a broker, why wouldn't the broker know why it isn't selling? That seems to be the broker's job.

And not specific to this plane, but, since a 182 is a "commodity" type of plane, 1 or 2 for sale at every airport, there will be a intersection of features/condition/times AND price, where somebody will be willing to pay a certain price for the combination.

One can either make it better on the features/condition/times OR lower the price to a point the phone starts ringing.

Go to Trade-A-Plane and search all the 182's, then sort the search results by price, lowest to highest. See where this plane sorts out. Look at the planes being offered for less than this one. Are they equivalent? Better? Worse??

5000 hours, no logs.. Looks like a $30,000 airplane to me.
There is a nice older 182 for sale at our airport with less hours and full logs for under $40,000.

As far as the engine, thats good, forget the folks saying its close to calander TBO, this ain't advertised as a 135 ship

Looks nice in the pictures and the STOL is nice.

The bad

The avionics are lacking, she's not a major X/C ship, more likely a DZ ship.

Missing logs ain't a big deal when there're from 20 years ago, 2011 is kinda recent, also having missing logs and a prop strike from the same owner makes me question how this aircraft was flown/maintained/handled.

Interior is so so, no a big deal for folks in the industry, but a fresh PPL buying it is going to call "aviation" upholstery shops and have a coronary when he hears their quote.

Price wise it ain't too far off, maybe 5-8k high, post it on barnstormers, ASO, eBay, and dropzone.com

Good luck

Last edited:
5000 hours, no logs.. Looks like a $30,000 airplane to me.

That was my reaction as well. Price is too high.

I actually came across it in my searches and passed based on a lot that was mentioned here. Too much money for the combination of dated panel and recently lost logs.

Out of annual wouldn't bother me, personally. I'd be getting s pre-buy anyway, and if the seller is willing to split the cost to get an annual out of it, too, then it's a win-win.

If the story about the mechanic losing the logs is accurate, he should try and get something out of them for that. That gaff will end up costing him

I agree with other commenters. Nothing great looking here. It's an earlier model, with old avionics, questionable history, and a price that appears high for what it is. Good luck.

Like other have said and I have been looking at C 182's of this vintage.

Almost all log books missing, that would be a killer for me right there, think resale. That is a -1 out of 10, how can you really know the times are accurate and all AD's were done and if any damage history? Big hit!

Radios are old I give them a 4 this is a VFR airplane too much to redo the panel for this vintage. Unless you have noting better to do with $$

Interior Ok but have seen worse I give it a 7 maybe

The price is way too high for the above reasons. I am thinking you are asking about 15-20,000 too high even at $40,000 I am not sure I would buy it, and just how does a mechanic " lose logbooks" he would not be my mechanic for sure, you can't fix stupid.

Get better pictures, the ones you have are not cutting it and get the annual done, the engine year thing is not a factor, unless it was 40 years ago but even then it might be ok and clean it up!

And get rid of the broker, all he is doing is taking a cut for putting ads up with those not so good pictures he is not doing you any favors, you can do better yours self and I doubt he has even laid eyes on the airplane.

my friend has recreated the log books to the best of his ability with copies of his own records, receipts, etc but yeah, missing logs from this recent are a big hit as well.

re: the broker ... "friends don't let friends use brokers" but friends also give their opinion once and then get out of the way. I'll have to ask him if he set the asking price, or the broker.

James331, what is a DZ ship?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not James, but I assume he means Drop Zone, a.k.a parachute operation airplane.

John

Here is a 1964 with similar engine time, more time on the airframe, for $37,900

1964 182

Here is a 1971 with a Garmin 430 for $59,900, similar times on engine and airframe.

1971 182 with a 430

Here is a 1966 with similar engine times and radios for $45k.

1966 182

With the above data points, it would be interesting to hear the broker's pitch on why the OP plane is the "next" one to sell on Trade-A-Plane.

Here is a 1964 with similar engine time, more time on the airframe, for $37,900

1964 182

Here is a 1971 with a Garmin 430 for $59,900, similar times on engine and airframe.

1971 182 with a 430

Here is a 1966 with similar engine times and radios for $45k.

1966 182

With the above data points, it would be interesting to hear the broker's pitch on why the OP plane is the "next" one to sell on Trade-A-Plane.

When I first read the post that basically said "Your friend has a $30k plane", I was thinking that was a little harsh. But, when I sat and thought about it from the prospect of buying it, I'm thinking that there's $20k of avionics upgrades right off the bat. Then you've got the possibility that there are some ugly skeletons hidden in those lost logs. It's not just a matter of whether or not I'd be willing to roll the dice on the logs, it's also a question of will the guy I try to sell it to later be willing to do the same. Working backwards from that, and stuff like you see in this post, I'm not so sure $30k is too far off the mark of where I'd be looking.

I gotta agree Greg, he has it overpriced and the lost logs are a very big deal to most, and a deal breaker for a subset of those.

It's high priced even if it had the logs.

Probably not what your friend wants to hear, but I think he's not going to sell it bumping the underside of $60K.

Anyone buying it needs to put a minimum of $12K worth of avionics in it by 2020. Probably more since once you start ripping stuff out, you'll need new Comms and Nav heads or just go straight to an Aspen or similar to make use of the GPS the mandate will require.

He also lists the prop time as N/A which isn't really true and makes people wonder. Lost with the logs? Was it a new prop after the prop strike or did they rebuild?

There are days I don't think our 1975 with 1000 hours on the engine is worth what he's asking for a 1963.

With the log problem I thing the estimates that he'll have to come down into the mid 40's to sell it, is probably about right.

20 year old paint and interior, lost logbooks, avionics that are nothing special. The only thing really in the plus category is the low time engine that is past calendar TBO. I don't think it's a $30K airplane, but I think probably closer to a $45K bird. :D But, I am not a buyer right now, I would be at $30K though. :yes:

20 year old paint and interior, lost logbooks, avionics that are nothing special. The only thing really in the plus category is the low time engine that is past calendar TBO. I don't think it's a $30K airplane, but I think probably closer to a $45K bird. :D But, I am not a buyer right now, I would be at $30K though. :yes:

Phone doesn't ring at $59,900....

Two people in this thread offer to pay $30k within days of it being posted.

I am thinking the "Market" is speaking.

Phone doesn't ring at $59,900....

Two people in this thread offer to pay $30k within days of it being posted.

I am thinking the "Market" is speaking.

Yup, 30k is low, 60k is high, so yeah 45k ish.

Could try to go after the AP for the lost logs value on the airframe though.

Reason #132 Why you never give your physical log to ANYONE, scans on a USB drive FTW.

How you know how much time is on the engine? Remember the logs are missing.... Who knows how much time is on the airframe?

If he has receipts, and if it looks like he logs his flight time, you could do some ruff figuring.

The fact that times can't be verified and the poor avionics put the plane at 35 max. Honesty is not as reliable as accurate log books. Me and the shop that lost the logs would be in court!

I have studied the 182 market for the last 4 years. We bought my buddy a 1970 and I ended up buying a 205.

The '62 and '63 are a little less desirable because of the goofy rear windows and the small elevator. They are always cheaper than the '64 which has the small tail but looks like a newer airplane.

Missing logs and poor avionics… This plane will not fetch 45k- it is a $35,000 airplane for real.

Not being rude but 59k will almost buy 2 of these planes so who came up with that figure???

Last edited:
I have studied the 182 market for the last 4 years. We bought my buddy a 1970 and I ended up buying a 205.

The '62 and '63 are a little less desirable because of the goofy rear windows and the small elevator. They are always cheaper than the '64 which has the small tail but looks like a newer airplane.

Missing logs and poor avionics… This plane will not fetch 45k- it is a $35,000 airplane for real.

Not being rude but 59k will almost but 2 of these planes so who came up with that figure???

The greedy broker came up with that price. They tell the seller that they will get top dollar to get the job, then sell it cheaper.

Back