Wedding Etiquette - What not to wear

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
Do men really care about this stuff?

I am not in the wedding party, but my wife asked what I plan to wear this weekend to an Adults only 5pm wedding. I said, "I dunno either my white or black tuxedo, I guess." She said I shouldn't wear white to someone else's wedding. I said 'that rule doesn't apply to men, I'm not trying to upstand anyone.'

Anyhow, the forecast is for rain and I think the black will wear better in rain.

Or maybe I should just wear a regular suit. I have plenty of those too.

What's the protocol here? My wife RSVPd so I am not sure if there was a requested theme. We went onto another discussion before I could get an answer.

POA, what say ye?

Last edited:
suit.

and that's about how much thought I feel like putting into sht like that.

Black tux with Bermuda short tux pants.

Suit. And always listen to wife about stuff like that. :yes:

(caveat: I'm no fashion guy - I need geranimals for engineers.)

wear a good suit.

This assumes the wedding invitation doesn't give an indication that something else would be more appropriate.

As Dilbert said, "whatever is up next in the rotation".

You own TWO Tuxedos?????????????????? Wow.

Personally, I'd wear cargo shorts and a Hawaiian shirt with sandals.

You own TWO Tuxedos?????????????????? Wow

My thoughts exactly. I might have inherited one at some point, though its likely lost in the quagmire that is my basement. I certainly haven't found a use for it outside of Halloween.

Wear whatever your wife tells you to wear. It reflects more on her than you anyway.

You forgot option 3, beg off and watch the game. Oh, and you can wear whatever you like while watching the game.

Compromise: tuxedo t-shirt. It says, "I'm fashionable, but laid back."

Is it wedding only? Or reception, too? I know some receptions can be formal.

Unless you are in the wedding party (or the reception is a very formal event), probably should avoid a tuxedo. For me, it's a simple choice. I don't have even one tux, so that's out. And if I wore a suit, I'd have to buy a shirt that works with a tie and hope my suits still fit, so that's out. But for normal people, a suit is probably the best choice.

Let's back up just a bit. Is this something you really have to attend? Because I haven't been to a wedding in 20 years.

At least funerals are more fun.

I've only been to one wedding, my own, and that was 16 years ago. I've managed to avoid all others' weddings.

I suggest you don't go. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy! :)

Traditionally evening weddings are black tie, but these days if it's expected the invite will generally request it. 'course, you could always ask.

My bride and I had a black tie wedding. Classy affair.

Suit. Even wedding parties (including grooms) rarely wear tuxes at this point...

Regular suit, and dark colored, definitely not white. The only man that could be wearing white at a wedding is the groom, even though it looks ridiculous (in my opinion).

You forgot option 3, beg off and watch the game. Oh, and you can wear whatever you like while watching the game.

That's the option I'd choose. I dislike ceremonies in general. I didn't even attend my own college commencements. I had no interest in spending several hours listening to windbags and waiting on lines to collect a rolled-up piece of copy paper. (The actual diplomas were sent by mail whether one attended the commencements or not.)

I was roped into attending my youngest brother's wedding a few years ago, and I've stood godfather to a few kids over the years; but with those few exceptions, I've been pretty much ceremony-free since I got out of the service.

Rich

are you in the wedding party?

If not - then don't wear a Tux, unless the invitation states formal.

White suit only if you have white shoes. But its after Labor Day - so why would you even THINK white?

I'd just wear a suit if you insist on being that formal. Do not ever out dress the woman you are with.

I could never wear a white suit - I would get it dirty sitting in white room with white furniture.

Suit. I've worn my same collection of suits to many weddings and funerals.

Regular suit, unless otherwise stipulated by the wedding invitation/event. A tux (regardless of color) might be a too elegant for someone not in the wedding party. However, there are occasional weddings were everyone is encouraged to "put on the Ritz".

I've been invited to country weddings where jeans were appropriate, but I can never bring myself to go in anything more casual than khakis or slacks.

Regular suit. White will just draw attention to yourself. If you aren't in the wedding party, try to stay low key(except on the dance floor). "Draw attention to yourself, but on your own terms" One reason I don't wear my fancy military uniform to weddings.

Do men really care about this stuff?

I am not in the wedding party, but my wife asked what I plan to wear this weekend to an Adults only 5pm wedding. I said, "I dunno either my white or black tuxedo, I guess." She said I shouldn't wear white to someone else's wedding. I said 'that rule doesn't apply to men, I'm not trying to upstand anyone.'

Anyhow, the forecast is for rain and I think the black will wear better in rain.

Or maybe I should just wear a regular suit. I have plenty of those too.

What's the protocol here? My wife RSVPd so I am not sure if there was a requested theme. We went onto another discussion before I could get an answer.

POA, what say ye?
Suit.

Maybe we have different ideas of what goes at at weddings, but I've always had a great time. Granted, the large majority of weddings that I've been too are Russian. Aside from the ceremony (which I concede, is a bit boring), there's always LOTS of eating, LOTS of drinking, and LOTS of dancing. From my experience, with the exception of the bride/groom/wedding party/immediate family of those getting married, people dress in dark colored suits. Navy, Charcoal, Black, some beige (but on the darker side). I am, of course, excluding "destination" weddings (and I'll consider any sort of wedding on a beach a destination wedding). Those, I find, tend to be a bit more lax as far as dress code is concerned.

As many people here have said, you can't go wrong with a dark-colored suite. If you want to go a bit more casual, slacks, dress shoes, some sort of collared shirt and a blazer.

For those that avoid weddings (serious question here), WTF? They're a lot of fun. Granted, i'm only 30, and still on the first round of weddings for all of my friends (so that may change things), but I always have a blast!

You actually own a white tux,are you from fantasy Island,or what.

For those that avoid weddings (serious question here), WTF? They're a lot of fun. Granted, i'm only 30, and still on the first round of weddings for all of my friends (so that may change things), but I always have a blast!

Amen to that!

I'm kind of anti wedding in the sense that homie don't do crowds and long formalities well, but I make the best of it I can, as usually there is a lot of food and alcohol involved afterwards.

I suggest this shirt.

9b3e0311c88c0ffeacbfb65a33cecce3_1363839_0_big.jpg

Weddings are OK. For the couple involved it's a "big deal" and they think enough of me they invited me there. Sure I'll go celebrate with them.

I can't opt out of this wedding, HAVE to go.
Then it's definitely a vest and ***less chaps. You'll never have this problem again.

Nauga,
who never goes out of style

Suit. When in doubt ask the wife do what she tells you and say "Yes Dear"

Back