Damn ! bad hunt

If that's a Helo, he had 1320lbs. useful load.

Looks like 800+ lbs. of people.

I don't totally get it. Not making full power? :dunno:

Not what I would have expected from an on board crash LOL.

Odd that the slats were bouncing in and during takeoff. They look so casual about it it's almost like it's fake but the bent Helio in the trees sure looks real!

And the motor was still running..... Impressive......

As for the slats.... There is a good reason mine are in a fixed position as I have heard horror stories about slats that move in and out during critical times..:eek:

That's why you fly it all the way to the crash.

rednecks..........good hunters, bad pilots lol.

I'm just kidding. kinda.

They were all very careful to safely store a small supply of bourbon on their person, just in case!

I'm glad nobody was hurt.

They missed out on the punchline, though: "It looks like you got us a hundred yards farther than Ed did last year."

Do the slats extend/retract automatically based on angle of attack?

Of course, what do you do when you're taking off, know you can't make it and are on the water with no brakes at all?

Looks like lots of "runway" behind them, too

Pilot: You have to leave some gear behind - we're too heavy
Hunters: The pilot last year took all our stuff in one trip
Pilot: Well crap - if he can do it, I can do it.
After crash
Pilot: I thought you said the last guy took everything on one trip
Hunters: Yep, and he crashed right about here, too.

Read that water, tell me if you believe he took off downwind.

Winds look too light to matter on the surface. They may have caught a sinker during initial climb. It kinda looks like they lost altitude into the trees.

Slaps deploy/retract from air pressure. High lift AOA and speeds allow them to drop, cruise configuration pushes them up.

Of course, what do you do when you're taking off, know you can't make it and are on the water with no brakes at all?

mixture to cut-off, master off, fuel off, land it in the remaining water get slow before hitting trees

mixture to cut-off, master off, fuel off, land it in the remaining water get slow before hitting trees

Did you read that in a book? You fly the damn plane to the best end you can. You won't have time to fiddle with fuel or mixture controls.

They were all very careful to safely store a small supply of bourbon on their person, just in case!

Just as any professional redneck should..!!! :lol:

Really happy to see no injuries. I had to laugh when someone said, "Watch that first step".

As of yesterday afternoon, a friend of mine is lost in Canada. He went to Yukon to hunt. The airline lost one of his bags, the one with the sat phone and spot tracker. He hasn't checked in with anyone yet. I fully expect he will be heard from after the hunt when he starts his return home.

Last edited:
Personally, I think this thread is mislabeled.

It shouldn't be "Damn ! bad hunt"

It should be "Damned good hunt!"

Because all that extra meat kept them from taking off! :goofy:

Did you read that in a book? You fly the damn plane to the best end you can. You won't have time to fiddle with fuel or mixture controls.

For landing on the remaining runway (or waterway in this case) where I know it's going off the end I'm fer sure going to be securing fuel and electrical. I don't need a book to tell me that but the POH does mention it. I'm real sorry if that bothers you.

I'll also argue that the pilot knew he was in trouble as soon as he pulled it off the water. The video shows he tried to climb and had to level off quickly.

I'll also argue that the pilot knew he was in trouble as soon as he pulled it off the water.

How do you tell that ?

The video shows he tried to climb and had to level off quickly.
Where do you see that?

I see just as he crossed the beach, he got hit with a gust from behind. watch the water, the last second before he hit the trees.

Suit yer self. Watch the slats but feel free to make up what ever you want.

Make up ?? What did I make up?

You see some thing no one else sees, and say I make up things. get real.

You made up your story and I made up mine. That's how interpretation works.

As for seeing something no one else sees, do you really claim to speak for everyone? Wow. I think you are the one who needs to get real Tom.
HTH and HAND

You made up your story and I made up mine. That's how interpretation works.

As for seeing something no one else sees, do you really claim to speak for everyone? Wow. I think you are the one who needs to get real Tom.
HTH and HAND

Why do you think I speak for any one but me? or do you really need an Evelyn Wood reading course, But I believe that would be a catch 22.

Adding falsehoods to the discourse only reflects on who you are. Or was it your blowing at 0.30 of the vid that we see.

I know the company. Feds already teeming in bethel - seems like this company just got themselves some extra unwanted attention.

Why do you think I speak for any one but me? or do you really need an Evelyn Wood reading course, But I believe that would be a catch 22.

Adding falsehoods to the discourse only reflects on who you are. Or was it your blowing at 0.30 of the vid that we see.

Tom, I don't think you speak for anyone but you. However, you did claim that I saw something that no one else saw. Ergo you are claiming to speak for everyone else.

Now please drop the personal attacks and accept that other people can and do have other points-of-view.
HTH and HAND.

Now please drop the personal attacks and accept that other people can and do have other points-of-view.
HTH and HAND.

Personal attacks? WTF. I disagree with you means I'm attacking. Yeah Right. Typical.

Personal attacks? WTF. I disagree with you means I'm attacking. Yeah Right. Typical.

Yes, you go well beyond simple disagreement and attack me. Perhaps a little time for reflection will allow you to see your errors. Perhaps not.
HTH and HAND

Back