What's good in Tulsa?

RyanShort1

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
RyanShort1
What's good in Tulsa if I have a business stop there? Best value dinner place? Anything cool on Saturday morning?

Ryan

the Aquarium off the river is pretty cool for a Saturday thing. 30 minutes south on Rt 66 to the Rock Café in Stroud, a favorite breakfast place for me and the daughter. Lots of fun stuff on the stretch of 66 between OKC and Tulsa.

Lasalles New Orleans Deli, downtown but get there early lines out the door by noon...easily in my top 3 nationwide on food...incredible beef Po boys and Gumbo ..

the Aquarium off the river is pretty cool for a Saturday thing. 30 minutes south on Rt 66 to the Rock Café in Stroud, a favorite breakfast place for me and the daughter. Lots of fun stuff on the stretch of 66 between OKC and Tulsa.
Have to stay pretty close to the WSW corner of town. We're doing some photo work there.

The Waterfront Grill and Los Cabos are good eatin'. Both are right by the Oklahoma Aquarium in Jenks on the SW side of T-town. All are located really close to R.L. Jones Airport (KRVS). Hideaway Pizza is a bit of an Oklahoma institution and is pretty darn tasty. I think 6PC is a fan of Hideaway., if I recall correctly, and there are a few locations. My sis-in-law is a native Chicagoan and loves the Chicago style deep dish at Savastano's. Talley's is an old diner on RT66 (11th St.) that we like for breakfast. Sounds like that would be a bit out of your neighborhood though.

Casa Bonita is only a few blocks from my house. Been there once....

Firstly, is it back in business? It used to be pretty awesome, back in the day.

Secondly, my wife grew up a couple blocks north of Hale High School on 19th. My in-laws live there still, and we are there quite often. We should meet up sometime.

Thirdly, please pardon this thread hi-jacking, OP.

Sushi - in the raw @ 61st/Sheridan, great skyline view
Steaks/American- Red rock is decent by the river or McGills at 61st/Yale
Italian - Ti Amo @ 61st/Sheridan is decent, good for business meals

Bbq restaurants galore, but most aren't the environment for a business dinner

I'd take a look at the Aquarium or Philbrook art museum (Phillips petroleum). Most of the activity will be around brookside or downtown on Saturday morning. Turkey Mountain is a popular nature park with lots of walking and biking trails.

Firstly, is it back in business? It used to be pretty awesome, back in the day.

Secondly, my wife grew up a couple blocks north of Hale High School on 19th. My in-laws live there still, and we are there quite often. We should meet up sometime.

Thirdly, please pardon this thread hi-jacking, OP.

I have no idea if it is in Tulsa or not. My house is not even close to Tulsa....

Casa Bonita? don't go there...bad food is too common...

I'll probably be working a few sites both Friday and Saturday afternoon. Probably tied up with photo editing except for dinner Friday and possibly Saturday am. Looks like RVS is probably where we're headed.

It's still there, but the food isn't much to speak of. Crystals pizza in that same shopping center was the place to go back in the day!

Crystals in OKC was good in the 70's...for Oklahoma...

What's good in Tulsa? Leaving Tulsa.

Nahhhh...Tulsa's a great town. Too bad it's surrounded by Oklahoma!

I say the same thing about Austin....too bad it's surrounded by Texas!

:goofy:

(Actually I do like most of Oklahoma. Wish I could say the same about Texas.)

I have no idea if it is in Tulsa or not. My house is not even close to Tulsa....

Casa Bonita? don't go there...bad food is too common...

My bad. I assumed you lived in Tulsa based on your previous comment. Well, since there are two of them, I guess you meant the other one.

It's still there, but the food isn't much to speak of. Crystals pizza in that same shopping center was the place to go back in the day!

Dude, we used to go to Crystals in "the city" years ago. However, seems like Crystals was from a time before Oklahoma knew what good pizza was. Ahh, the memories.

Last edited:
Well, downtown is a 15 minute drive from RVS, and there's a ton of great restaurants and attractions in that area as well. So, don't pass it up if you have the time.

My bad. I assumed you lived in Tulsa based on your previous comment. Well, since there are two of them, I guess you meant the other one.

Tulsa was part of the same chain...there's a darn good reason it shrunk...

:lol: Beat me to it, I was gonna say "The flight out".

yabut the airport sucked, used to be you could only get two beer brands. Now it's opened up a bit but the the old influences are still there...

Before last night, I would have also said the best part of Tulsa was "leaving tulsa". Been there too many times to count. I don't think I've ever been there when major road construction was NOT going on.

But then last night my wife and I watched a TV add about a museum in Tulsa that sounded kinda interesting. I think it was the "Gilcrease Museum", but not sure. Tulsa is a typical hard working plains town and most of them have hidden jewels if you know where to look. (And typically the locals might not know - typical working stock - I qualify for that comment.)

If you do check out that museum (or find another one in Tulsa that is interesting), do report back. I'll surely be through Tulsa again.

The sign that says: "You are now leaving Tulsa city limits"

To be fair, I haven't been to Tulsa in 37 years so maybe it's improved.

brian];1854362 said:
Before last night, I would have also said the best part of Tulsa was "leaving tulsa". Been there too many times to count. I don't think I've ever been there when major road construction was NOT going on.

But then last night my wife and I watched a TV add about a museum in Tulsa that sounded kinda interesting. I think it was the "Gilcrease Museum", but not sure. Tulsa is a typical hard working plains town and most of them have hidden jewels if you know where to look. (And typically the locals might not know - typical working stock - I qualify for that comment.)

If you do check out that museum (or find another one in Tulsa that is interesting), do report back. I'll surely be through Tulsa again.

Well, the road construction thing could be true, but that can be said of a LOT of cities. OKC, Dallas/FTW, and Houston come to mind for those reasons in the immediate geographic area.

Gilcrease Museum is fantastic, as is Philbrook as I mentioned earlier in the thread. Philbrook is the former villa home of Waite Phillips, of Phillips Petroleum fame. He was quite the philanthropist and the facility grounds and collection of art (primarily Native American) is great. The Tulsa Air and Space Museum is on the TUL grounds, and is supposed to be worth a trip. The riverparks bicycle/jogging trail runs from west Tulsa/downtown all the way around to the East side of Broken Arrow. Plenty of parks and wildlife, a different, decent-sized lake within an hour of any intercardinal direction you choose from Tulsa. Trees, low rolling hills, and open prairie are prevalent.

If you haven't been back in 37-years, you might make a trip back and give it a try. Downtown has been revitalized, and the craft beer/restaurant scene is gaining a ton of popularity. There's still a lot of improvement to be made, but in general, it's a pleasant city to live in and the people are friendly. It's not a concrete jungle like DFW (thank God for that), but it's not a ghost town, either. It's similar to Omaha and Kansas City, which are also pleasant places to live.

Last edited:
I went to college in Tulsa, but that was about 15 years ago. I do still LOVE Hideaway Pizza, and I now that 6PC has to fly to get it, he loves it too (he wasn't that crazy about it when we lived there). The Philbrook is beautiful; I preferred it to the Gilcrease, though both are good. Not sure what else to recommend; it's been a while, so I don't know what restaurants are good now.

Bryan grew up with Casa Bonita; he has fond memories of that place. We hoped to take our kids there when we went to Tulsa a couple years ago. Was sad that it closed.

I went to college in Tulsa, but that was about 15 years ago. I do still LOVE Hideaway Pizza, and I now that 6PC has to fly to get it, he loves it too (he wasn't that crazy about it when we lived there). The Philbrook is beautiful; I preferred it to the Gilcrease, though both are good. Not sure what else to recommend; it's been a while, so I don't know what restaurants are good now.

Bryan grew up with Casa Bonita; he has fond memories of that place. We hoped to take our kids there when we went to Tulsa a couple years ago. Was sad that it closed.

Are you of the TU or ORU variety?

Casa Bonita lives on in Denver (Lakewood actually). A Cirrus can be flown here but ya hafta stop for a permit at the state line...

Back