Flying Hats!

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
Since I started flying some 13 years ago I ALWAYS fly with a hat, a baseball cap to be exact. I find that the brim really helps with keeping the sun out of my eyes and I think the headset grips my head a little better.

I think lots of folks fly with hats and a lot like me seem to have their favorite flying hat. I've actually gone through a few that have gotten totally trashed an worn out so then I move on to another hat, its a process in selecting a flying hat. First it has to be comfortable, second a good brim and third I prefer that it is a flying related hat so no bubba gump shrimp trucker ball caps for me when flying. AOPA hats have been my hat of choice in the past, my 6Y9er hat is my hanging around the hangar drinking a beer hat and my current flying hat of choice is attached. The sweat stains are almost obligatory. The more worn stained or torn the better it is for flying!

I get so attached to my flying hats that if I misplace it I'll tear up the place looking for it. My wife will hand me another hat and say " just take this" but I say "that's not my flying hat" how about you? Do you have a favorite flying hat? Lets see it?

Attachments

• Hat.jpg
    Hat.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 114
I am sure like most, I only fly in a sombrero.
Really helps with the sun.

I have my old, orange Pilots of America hat. It bears the sweat of many a Gaston's, with one Oshkosh thrown in for good measure.

I'm really not a hat person. I may tote a bush hat with me for sun protection if I plan on hiking, but I won't wear on flying.

GML hat from 2007. Starting to show its wear. Backed up by The Horsmen demo team hats.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 59
I'm too lazy to take it off and take/upload a pic but I always fly with my old Oregon Ducks hat.

I wear a hat a lot of the time while NOT flying. But the headset doesn't fit as well with my hat/head. So, when I hop in the plane, the hat comes off.

I always wear a hat. Always.
Some advice: Cut the button off the top. It will be a lot more comfortable.

Does this count as a flying hat?

59716.jpg

Be careful flying wearing a sombrero if we have POTUS Trump. He'd probably order you to be shot down.

Be careful flying wearing a sombrero if we have POTUS Trump. He'd probably order you to be shot down.

That moron has about ax much of a chance at being President as Frank Lorenzo has of getting back into the airline industry.

I only where hats when I run, to keep the sweat out of my eyes. I am not real fond of hats.

Oh man, I need to pull out my awesome one-of-a-kind Piaggio captain's hat and take a picture for all y'all. :)
And just yesterday, I heard the typical "UFO buzz" over my house and sure enough, the good ol' 180 intercepting localizer for 17L. :)

In a cabin; baseball cap. In the Parrakeet sombreros tend to blow away:D

Photo by my good friend Lu Quinn

Attachments

• Parrakeet Serious.jpeg
    Parrakeet Serious.jpeg
    523.1 KB · Views: 53
Oh man, I need to pull out my awesome one-of-a-kind Piaggio captain's hat and take a picture for all y'all. :)
And just yesterday, I heard the typical "UFO buzz" over my house and sure enough, the good ol' 180 intercepting localizer for 17L. :)

I don't see those things around much anymore, now that Avantair is gone. I miss them!

I'm sorry did you say flying hat or flying hat?

17xp2ugd3sgsmjpg.jpg

Wasn't Flying Hats a screensaver back in the day?

Didn't offend, I was hoping someone would make the After Dark reference.

Didn't offend, I was hoping someone would make the After Dark reference.

Those were the days. I was just a kid back then, but After Dark was a big part of my childhood. :)

Flying without a hat would feel like riding the motorcycle without a helmet. I'd feel naked and not comfortable.

Flying without a hat would feel like riding the motorcycle without a helmet. I'd feel naked and not comfortable.

My wife keeps trying to get me to wear a hat once the door is closed, but I resist it. Dunno why. Bald at 36 sucks ass, and I'm having a hard time dealing with it.

I used to fly with my AOPA blue hat,... then I took Spin training and did a loop after a lesson in the Citabria,.... let's say that had was the only thing handy at the moment. Instructor still had me land,... phew, I was glad to be down.

Then I flew with a PennState hat for a while,... now,... I fly with a helmet. :)

I have a rack full of baseball style caps. Most are farming related, seed company handouts, Pioneer, Monsanto, etc. A couple of Ranger Tug hats. But for special occasions I whip out the prized one from a Texas bar, emblazoned on the front

TITTIES & BEER

A real sophisticated ice breaker, suitable at any high brow gathering, opera night, attending SCOTUS, local PTA meeting.
Instant status on the flight line.
Small boys run up and wide eyed ask, "Mr. Are you a real pilot?"
Foxy ladies push my wife out of the way to press a scrap of paper in my hand with their phone number.
Just remember, life is better with titties & beer!

Have a large collection of baseball caps,wear whatever fits the theme of the day,or area. Have the avemco hats in all colors also,Eaa and aopa hats. Keep a couple in the airplane for guests.

I abhor baseball caps, but always wear them for flying for the reasons Adam mentioned in his original post. I have a good-sized collection, and my favorites all have airplanes on them.

As far as hats themselves flying, I think this qualifies:

Im either flying in a Harley hat or one of our new club hats

Attachments

• Metro.JPG
    Metro.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 13
Back