Cherokee Archer Wanted

callegro

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Callegro
I'm in the position to purchase my first aircraft and I have always loved the Archer. Was taught in a 172 and moved over to a Warrior. I wouldn't mind the extra 20hp the Archer has over the Warrior. I am in SoCal, so my mission would be weekend trips more or less >200 miles. Not hauling anything. Maybe the occasional 3rd person in the back.

I've been looking in the 40-50k range.
Looking for a lower time engine.
Autopilot
Decent exterior/interior
Nicer avionics/radios would be nice, but not required.
Fresh or recent annual?

I have been scouring Barnstormers and controller.

Just to point out, I have also really liked the Beech Sundowner's. I haven't seen a lot of them, nor have I flown one, but the numbers look awesome, and I really like that trailing link gear!

Just to point out, I have also really liked the Beech Sundowner's. I haven't seen a lot of them, nor have I flown one, but the numbers look awesome, and I really like that trailing link gear!

2 doors and a more comfortable cabin as well. A few knots slower than a PA-28 for the same HP, but IMO worth it for the left door and extra comfort, 3-5kts will not make any real difference when traveling, but how you feel when you get there does.

Check out the beech aero club web page. If you're really interested in the baby beech line I suggest joining the club, there is a wealth of knowledge available to help with questions. Anything from prebuy to model specific, the members will address your concerns.

Www.Beechaeroclub.org

I fly an 80 Sundowner

Last edited:
Not sure you will find an Archer in that price range. A decent Warrior 180 can be had in that range if you keep your eyes pinned to Controller and the like. (Missed buying a 180 several years ago for $40K or so - man that sucker sold QUICK! All the others were trainers - so I moved on.)

I haven't been looking in a while, but Archers seem to go for above $60K - if they are in any kind of condition at all.

It might possible depending on exactly how you define "lower time" and "decent" paint/interior but you're pushing it.... $50-$60k is probably a little more realistic.

Finding exactly what you want at exactly the price you want is hard. Also if you are thinking nicer avionics down the line you will spend a lot more to have them installed than it would cost you to buy it already in the panel.

Mines for sale. Make me an offer....

There's Archers and then there's Archers.

When most folks say "Archer" they mean the taper-wing PA-28-181 "Archer II" that was introduced for the 1976 model year.

But you might find somewhat lower prices for the 1974-75 PA-28-180 "Cherokee Archer" (without the 'II') with the extended (32' span) version of the old rectangular "Hershey Bar" wing. The 1973 "Cherokee Challenger" was nearly identical except for the name. Aside from the wings, these models are the same as the newer, more coveted Archer II. Climb and cruise performance aren't quite as good as with the tapered wings, but these airplanes can still be a good value.

Older than 1973 you're looking at Cherokee 180s with the shorter cabin, and limited rear seat room.

Autopilot
Decent exterior/interior
Fresh or recent annual?

As others have mentioned, that price point is probably a bit ambitious for an Archer II with those specs; the only time I have seen them under 50 is with timed out engines and/or original avionics.

If you open up the search to Cherokee 180s you may find something nice closer to your price range. I've seen several PA-28-180s listing for under 50 with everything you are looking for.

The tapered wing is not worth the premium--its benefits are negligible. The bigger stabilator of later 180s and Archers is a bit more useful with two in the front, though if you decide you don't have enough pitch authority on an older Cherokee 180 you can just throw some ballast in the tail.

Back seat of the earlier Cherokees is a complaint of many; it is snug but not unbearable for shorter flights (admittedly, biggest person I have put back there is 6', 200 pounds, larger folks might have more issues). If the third person isn't particularly big or flying really often, you'd likely find a short bodied PA28 for significantly less than a comparable longer aircraft.

I'm in the position to purchase my first aircraft and I have always loved the Archer. Was taught in a 172 and moved over to a Warrior. I wouldn't mind the extra 20hp the Archer has over the Warrior. I am in SoCal, so my mission would be weekend trips more or less >200 miles. Not hauling anything. Maybe the occasional 3rd person in the back.

Autopilot
Decent exterior/interior
Fresh or recent annual?

A nice Warrior II would be a better value. STCs are available to up the gross weight by 115 pounds. Clean it up with Knots 2 U and you are at the same speed. All for about $20K less. You can by a lot of avgas for $20K. Is 20hp worth $20K? Plus I think the cowling looks better.

Attachments

• 002 (800x600) (2).jpg
    002 (800x600) (2).jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
A nice Warrior II would be a better value. STCs are available to up the gross weight by 115 pounds. Clean it up with Knots 2 U and you are at the same speed. All for about $20K less. You can by a lot of avgas for $20K. Is 20hp worth $20K? Plus I think the cowling looks better.

I was gonna say the same thing.

At that price range, just get a Warrior II. You get the bigger backseat and same exact interior as an Archer. You lose about 10 knots but you'll save a touch on fuel as well.

Hi guys, thanks for the reply's. I'm looking at the newer Cherokees (70's and up) but I am kinda thinking of leaning towards a warrior, I'd rather lose a few nots and gain in fuel consumption.

Just pull the Archer throttle back to Warrior speed, same fuel burn. You will miss not having the extra 20 horses on takeoff when you need it.

Just pull the Archer throttle back to Warrior speed, same fuel burn. You will miss not having the extra 20 horses on takeoff when you need it.

Depends on whether he wants a backseat that is usable.

As someone who flies a hershey bar Cherokee routinely, the backseat is useless. If I were buying, they wouldn't even be an option. I'd much rather have a Warrior II that goes a little slower vs. an older Cherokee with a backseat that isn't fit for a 12 year old.

Last edited:
You can have an Arrow for less. Just saying.

As someone who flies a hershey bar Cherokee routinely, the backseat is useless. If I were buying, they wouldn't even be an option. I'd much rather have a Warrior II that goes a little slower vs. an older Cherokee with a backseat that isn't fit for a 12 year old.
For the 1973-75 model years, you get a 180-hp Cherokee with Hershey-bar wings and the big back-seat room.

pa-28-180_1975.jpg

For the 1973-75 model years, you get a 180-hp Cherokee with Hershey-bar wings and the big back-seat room.

pa-28-180_1975.jpg

IMO, that's the best of the PA-28 line. It's got all the size and performance you'll use in a PA-28; seriously, if you need a PA-28 235, you probably should be looking at a Cherokee 6. I have always thought the Hershey bar wing to be superior to the taper wing, it's faster and rides nicer in turbulence IMO. With the big cabin and 180hp, I think they optimized the PA-28, maybe go with a graphite CS prop. I wouldn't buy an Arrow when a Bonanza is cheaper to own.

Last edited:
IMO, that's the best of the PA-28 line. It's got all the size and performance you'll use in a PA-28; seriously, if you need a PA-28 235, you probably should be looking at a Cherokee 6. I have always thought the Hershey bar wing to be superior to the taper wing, it's faster and rides nicer in turbulence IMO. With the big cabin and 180hp, I think they optimized the PA-28, maybe go with a graphite CS prop. I wouldn't buy an Arrow when a Bonanza is cheaper to own.

LOL.....

pa-28-180_1975.jpg

The plane in the link I was responding to is a 64.

People make a stink about it, but its not too bad for an occasional thing. I've had plenty of folks back there, up to about 6' and 210 pounds. Its not roomy, but its hardly useless unless your trying to put a giant in the front seat and another giant behind them. I will admit it does not look enticing, nor work well, if the front seat is all the way back...

Unless I'm putting someone in the back on a regular basis, I'd much rather have the 180 or 181. The performance difference is dramatic vs a Warrior, and as others have said you can slow down and burn about what a warrior does at warrior speeds.

Back