Foreflight 6.5 available

Badger

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Badger
Doesn't seem like too much new content.

Yep, but that thread is about FF on the iPhone.

As I posted in another thread, I upgraded my iPad2 to FF 6.5 and found that it now crashes on startup. Also tried rebooting the tablet.

Details: iPad2, 32GB, iOS 7.1.1.

Already sent an email to ForeFlight.

Just getting used to 6.4 ,you have to love progress.

The new NOTAM Advisor looks to be a really nice addition.

I'm glad they fixed the resolution issue on the iPhone 6+; it looks a lot better now.

Yep, but that thread is about FF on the iPhone.

As I posted in another thread, I upgraded my iPad2 to FF 6.5 and found that it now crashes on startup. Also tried rebooting the tablet.

Details: iPad2, 32GB, iOS 7.1.1.

Already sent an email to ForeFlight.

The other thread said to upgrade to iOS 8.1.1

I like the resolution update on my iPhone 6. Looking forward to using the NOTAM advisor too.

The other thread said to upgrade to iOS 8.1.1
The other thread that was pointed to by post #2 of this thread? Not true as far as I can tell. It only mentions performance improvements for iOS 8.1, not that upgrading was mandatory or even recommended. Once I get all of the new databases downloaded (continuing this morning, interrupted by a provider outage last night), I'll look in the new FF Pilot Guide to see if they say anything about the problem.

I am pretty pi$$ed off by the whole thing -- mainly at Apple, since now I have a useless AT&T sim card to boot (it worked as recently as yesterday, so I'm pretty certain the cause is some kind of iOS or iOS installer bug).

I had not seen this before, so I don't know if this is really that new. But I was just reviewing the Foreflight Blog and found that they now colorize the satellite image to give an indication of the height of the cloud tops. Check out their blog for more information and how to interpret. That feature is really cool.

Love the NOTAM advisor.

unfortunately, it is hit or miss for me. It doesn't seem to pull up enough notams for me to be that confident in it. One example, at my home airport, EYE, it doesn't pull up that AIRPA is out of service, but if you check the airport notams, its right there. I don't know why it would miss that.

I had not seen this before, so I don't know if this is really that new. But I was just reviewing the Foreflight Blog and found that they now colorize the satellite image to give an indication of the height of the cloud tops. Check out their blog for more information and how to interpret. That feature is really cool.

I saw that too. They kind of snuck that in there. I wonder if that is part of Scott D's new role.

unfortunately, it is hit or miss for me. It doesn't seem to pull up enough notams for me to be that confident in it. One example, at my home airport, EYE, it doesn't pull up that AIRPA is out of service, but if you check the airport notams, its right there. I don't know why it would miss that.

I pulled up a plate that had a NOTAM last night and it was not there. About 10 minutes later it was. I wonder if they are background indexing this stuff.

I pulled up a plate that had a NOTAM last night and it was not there. About 10 minutes later it was. I wonder if they are background indexing this stuff.

Could be. I anticipate that it will get more reliable over time. I am big fan of the Foreflight product. I just don't know how much I trust that specific feature right now.

Which one, I would like to see what it looks like but don't have a "For instance" plate to look at.

Which one, I would like to see what it looks like but don't have a "For instance" plate to look at.

ILS or LOC RWY 10 at KUES has a NOTAM, if you're just looking for an example of the new functionality.

I played with it a bit yesterday and had the same observation--plates where I expected to see NOTAMs didn't have them. I was on WiFi at home, so had a full-time connection.

It *seemed* to me that if I viewed the NOTAMS page / tab for the airport first, then the NOTAMS alert popped right away on the approach plate or airport diagram, but if I didn't, then it didn't.

I didn't try a file & brief, then disconnect, but from what I read on the blog, that would do it too (cache the NOTAMs for viewing/alerting).

I certainly need to play with it more to determine how/when it works (and more importantly, how/when it doesn't work).

I was using 5A1. Both procedures are NOTAMed NA because the SKY VOR is gone.

Sorry to thread-topic-shift, but why the hell would they NA a GPS approach because a VOR is down?

You can still ID the holding fix with the GPS!

Sorry to thread-topic-shift, but why the hell would they NA a GPS approach because a VOR is down?

You can still ID the holding fix with the GPS!

I know right? I actually asked for the procedure in vmc knowing it was na for the very reason you state and was turned down.

Last edited:

I played with it a bit yesterday and had the same observation--plates where I expected to see NOTAMs didn't have them. I was on WiFi at home, so had a full-time connection.

It *seemed* to me that if I viewed the NOTAMS page / tab for the airport first, then the NOTAMS alert popped right away on the approach plate or airport diagram, but if I didn't, then it didn't.

I didn't try a file & brief, then disconnect, but from what I read on the blog, that would do it too (cache the NOTAMs for viewing/alerting).

I certainly need to play with it more to determine how/when it works (and more importantly, how/when it doesn't work).

It's not clear if you guys did this or not, but I think I remember reading that you have to Pack before the chart NOTAMs will show up properly. I've hit the Pack button after each planning session and always seem to have all NOTAMs available from the chart. (Though, I haven't used it all that thoroughly.)

It's not clear if you guys did this or not, but I think I remember reading that you have to Pack before the chart NOTAMs will show up properly. I've hit the Pack button after each planning session and always seem to have all NOTAMs available from the chart. (Though, I haven't used it all that thoroughly.)

Hm.

Wonder if this includes NOTAMs for procedures along the route as well...

The other thread that was pointed to by post #2 of this thread? Not true as far as I can tell. It only mentions performance improvements for iOS 8.1, not that upgrading was mandatory or even recommended. Once I get all of the new databases downloaded (continuing this morning, interrupted by a provider outage last night), I'll look in the new FF Pilot Guide to see if they say anything about the problem.

I am pretty pi$$ed off by the whole thing -- mainly at Apple, since now I have a useless AT&T sim card to boot (it worked as recently as yesterday, so I'm pretty certain the cause is some kind of iOS or iOS installer bug).
Just reporting back that my sim card problem is solved. I remembered that I hadn't tried a forced reboot after the iOS install -- and it turned out that fixed it.

Whew*.

*There are no Apple Stores in VT. There is a local company that services Apple products, but they're "over the mountain" from me and I'd hate to try to get an appointment with them over the holidays.

Back