Port on Macbook pro?

kgruber

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Skywag
What port, and what is it called, do I use to port videos from YouTube to the HDMI input of my TV?

I need to get about a 12' cord.....for my MacBook Pro. It doesn't seem to have a HDMI port.

I think they have a mini display port. Just head on down to Fry's and get an HDMI adapter for it.

Be aware that the ports are different depending on exactly what model of macbook pro.

Earlier mini-DVI ports are different than the smaller mini-DVI ports on later macs which are different than the thunderbolt ports on the latest ones.

Option 1: Mini DVI - HDMI cable - make sure get an HDMI 1.3 and above certified cable so you get audio as part of the HDMI transmission.

Option 2: Apple TV - if you do this often - Apple TV is the better solution but make sure you have an 802.11n router installed and working . . . .

I would not buy a Chromecast - its kludgy, it has poor bandwidth, jerky video, only supports 720p and only works using the Chromecast browser - you cannot send a DVD or video on your computer to 'cast' unless it is showing in the a browser window. IOW - its pain in the rear. . .

Last edited:
Yes.....right now, for me, video from my laptop to TV is the easiest solution. And one that I understand.......kind of!

Display mirroring through an appletv works quite well and is easy to set up. You do have to have a mac made in the past couple of years though.

Mactracker's database will help clear up any questions you might have regarding exactly what vintage and port types you have on any Mac.

Just throwing it out there. I keep their free app on my iOS devices to look up what specific Macs friends who need assistance have.

Oh and cables. Monoprice. Always. Cheap. Work. No problems.

I'm also in the "Just mirror it to AppleTV" responders also.

But... Keep in mind, you might be disappointed with the results. HDTVs aren't that high of a resolution.

They look great for TV/video content. Their 1920 x 1080 resolution isn't that great when you get to larger sizes.

If you're trying to use it as a large monitor with small text, you'll give yourself a headache.

Even the cheapest iMac sports 2560 x 1600 these days. Oh and they just came out with a built in VESA mount option so you can just slap it on the wall. ;)

There's also 4K support coming, but not quite mainstream yet... And that's unholy $$$$ right now.

http://9to5mac.com/2014/03/06/apple...esolution-60hz-output-from-2013-macbook-pros/

I'm just using it as a home entertainment system. I like DooWop music and YouTube has tons of it together in albums. Or whatever. I don't really listen and watch, just have it on as a diversion.

Thanks!

You'd probably like an AppleTV or Roku or similar then. Separate remote, both can go to YouTube natively without even having to have the computer on. If you need to reboot, the DooWop tunes keep playing. Etc. ;)

They also have an AirPlay compatible audio output on the back that can be used to hook then up straight to the stereo if your TV has one/is in an entertainment system. Kinda nice to fire up iTunes on the iPad and tell it to play to the "big" stereo.

There's a billion ways to do it that aren't Apple-centric too, but since your using a Mac, Apple TV is pretty nicely integrated and can stand alone and do a ton of stuff. 90% of the time we use ours for Netflix, which is built in.

Last night, Karen wanted to show me her quartet's latest contest video.

One tap on her iPhone where she was originally going to hand me the phone to view it from a website. and it was up on the great room TV and big stereo. Way too simple.

Frankly I've gotten spoiled by it. I hardly watch videos on YT on the IDevices anymore. I just throw them in my YT "Favorites" folder from the IDevice and have a YT watching session from the big easy chair as my entertainment one evening a week or two. There's usually five or ten videos "cued up". YT also has a "Watch Later" folder, but I found that everything ended up staying there since after I watched on the AppleTV I wouldn't bother trying to move it. Easier just to put in Favorites since they come up chronologically on the AppleTV.

Apple's recent addition of streaming audio channels (with some commercials, boo... wish I could pay a few bucks and make those go away) is nice also. Can pick a "channel" and just let it play. Hear something you like, if you're into using iTunes and buying music, it's a click away.

I may be the last geek on the planet that doesn't rip off music artists. Hell, and movie artists. Never was big on that. Heh. YMMV.

Apple's recent addition of streaming audio channels (with some commercials, boo... wish I could pay a few bucks and make those go away)...

My impression was that if you pay the $29.95/yr for iTunes Match the ads go away.

And iTunes Match is great if you own a lot of music that resides in your home computer. It ALL* becomes available on your iDevice as long as you have access to the internet. Very handy when some obscure song comes to mind that you want to hear. Let's you buy devices with less on board storage, since you need less for music files.

90% of our TV watching is via the Apple TV - mostly podcasts and Hulu and Netflix. The other 5% is Netflix DVD's in the mail and Chromecast. We bought the Chromecast more for what it may be able to do in the future than what it does now, most of which the a Apple TV does equally well.

We "cut the cord" and got rid of DishNetwork nearly a year ago. No regrets. There's a weekly video podcast called "CordKillers" (used to be called FrameRate) dedicated to cutting the cord, if that begins to appeal.

* Even old Napster and Limewire and similar files of dubious legality. And if those files are sucky and low quality, iTunes Match let's you download higher-res versions!

Last edited:
I would not buy a Chromecast - its kludgy, it has poor bandwidth, jerky video, only supports 720p and only works using the Chromecast browser - you cannot send a DVD or video on your computer to 'cast' unless it is showing in the a browser window. IOW - its pain in the rear. . .
While I agree you would be better of with apple TV, chromecast has been able to broadcast the entire screen for quite a while now. I use both from my macbook.

Does apple TV work from a windows machine?

My impression was that if you pay the $29.95/yr for iTunes Match the ads go away.

Been an iTunes Match user since the day it was available. Still hearing Ads on their music streaming channels on the IDevices. Can't tell ya if they're gone on the MacBook, rarely use it to stream.

I'm not aware of any way to AirPlay the entire windows desktop to ATV the way you can with OS X, but ATV can talk to iTunes running on a windows machine to stream anything you could play through iTunes.

I'm not aware of any way to AirPlay the entire windows desktop to ATV the way you can with OS X, but ATV can talk to iTunes running on a windows machine to stream anything you could play through iTunes.
Cool thanks. We have chromecast at home but atv at work and my work notebook is a mac.

While I agree you would be better of with apple TV, chromecast has been able to broadcast the entire screen for quite a while now. I use both from my macbook.

Chrome browser only . . . if you can play it in a Chrome browser - you cannot cast DVD or any video that does not play in browser window with Chromecast - and as I mentioned - its 720p only. And even then it has 2 levels of 720p compression . . . .

There's an Intel standard built into some of their video chipsets that a small number of TV manufacturers added to their sets also. It hasn't been popular.

Depends what you mean by that. AppleTV doesn't need a computer to work at all.

You can stream things from iTunes for Windows if you want.

If you meant using AirPlay to show your screen on the TV through the AppleTV, you just need to get AirParrot. A couple of my coworkers use it to show their screens through our AppleTV at work.

Been an iTunes Match user since the day it was available. Still hearing Ads on their music streaming channels on the IDevices. Can't tell ya if they're gone on the MacBook, rarely use it to stream.

I never ever get an advertisement on iTunes Radio on my MacBook or my idevices. I'm a match subscriber.

Interesting. The iPhone is definitely playing stuff from Match but sometimes gets ads. Not often. Seems to happen on "top 40" type channels more than others. I'm constantly in and out of cell coverage nowadays considering where I live now. (There's three drop points for calls from town to home.) Maybe a bug when going in and out of data coverage.

Back