If you do this, stop.

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
It makes me hate you. Seriously.

http://youtu.be/SCNIBV87wV4

THIS is one of the things that keeps me coming back to PoA and even the SZ. People here for the most part speak their minds.

I don't always AGREE with them but at least they're not pansies who make every damn sentence they say into a question.

And those who do : Stop it. Believe your own BS, because it really is BS, whether you think it is or not...

Say it, make mistakes, get called on it, and learn. They're your words. Own them.

And do NOT make up apologies for politicians who "just misspoke". They said it. They can own their words, too.

Yeah, I like, totally agree, right?

Seriously, good video.

It makes me hate you. Seriously.

http://youtu.be/SCNIBV87wV4

THIS is one of the things that keeps me coming back to PoA and even the SZ. People here for the most part speak their minds.

I don't always AGREE with them but at least they're not pansies who make every damn sentence they say into a question.

And those who do : Stop it. Believe your own BS, because it really is BS, whether you think it is or not...

Say it, make mistakes, get called on it, and learn. They're your words. Own them.

And do NOT make up apologies for politicians who "just misspoke". They said it. They can own their words, too.

Yeah, but, like, isn't that, like, really homophobic?

If I were, like, gay, wouldn't that be, like really offensive?

-Rich

It's not a gay issue, it's a generation issue. I see it all the time from straight, gay, black, white...anyone under 30'ish.

Great video! Thanks for posting. So tired of people not believing in their own BS and ending everything in questions. And also tired of not accepting they were wrong, despite references to reliable resources. Blarg.

obama-i-told-them-they-could-keep-their-health-plan-doctors-obamacare-laughing.jpg

I think he meant it as an example of a politician not owning his words.

But agreed, it's SZ material. I purposefully didn't give specific examples.

For me, it's not so much the use of "like" and "you know" (which have their place, in moderation, having replaced "Rather", "Dig?", "Savvy?", and "Eh what?").
It's the "interrogative tone"...? Where every damn sentence sounds like a question...? I remember when only females and certain homosexuals did this,and it was somewhat tolerable... but now it's, like, everybody...? It makes me want to smash them in the face with the nearest heavy object...?
Saying everything as a question, giggling instead of laughing, wearing capri pants and carrying a purse... behold the new Straight Guys. Blecchh.

Didn't mean to **** in your wheaties there thread boss.

The video is lame, this thread sucks.

Did I own that enough for ya? :stirpot:

I'm not a thread boss, I'm just a fellow denizen of this form pointing out your post is out of line and belongs elsewhere.

*click* Fort Worth Center, like, 55WB is, you know, with you? Five-five hundred...maybe? *click*

And Nate... It could be worse.....

We could be over run by the Bob and Doug McKenzie clones, eh? And Captain? Take off, eh? You hoser.

http://youtu.be/w1RN3cYnY9k

Before Internet forums were invented where people could post, they used to compete in demanding intellectual contests:

I always loved watching SCTV when it was on...

Hmmm that Alex dude and what he has to put up with reminds me of some doctor guy we know and love.... And the kids remind me quite a few airmen...

Before Internet forums were invented where people could post, they used to compete in demanding intellectual contests:

Does anyone else remember "Meeting of Minds?".

It was a Steve Allen project, where actors played great minds of the past sitting around in a discussion group.

I'll search the interwebs and see if there's a sample out there*.

You know?

Back on point, I've heard that the rising inflection at the end of each thought so called "uptalk" - and I find it both fairly common and pretty annoying.

*we live in amazing times - almost like we have personal genies to respond to: "Your wish is my command!"

http://youtu.be/XNqkzDHkATY

Last edited:
Yup. Ran smack dab into it recently at an auto parts store (of all places)
I asked - do you have a so and so.
The skinny urban metrosexual behind the counter wearing flip flops, skin tight apple green pants with what looks like a cod piece and a nylon shirt buttoned to his adams apple (a big one) said - the computer shows one?
Well OK, but do you have one?
He calls out to someone who turns out to be a valley girl - valley speak including the roller coaster ride up pitch on the final word of every sentence. She is wearing steel toe boots, blue jeans (loose), and a Carhart shirt three sizes too big (and she is a big girl) She has a ring through her nose and a cuff link through one eyebrow.
They spend a good minute questioning each other - the computer shows one? well, if the computer shows one?
They peer at the screen
I am walking towards the door when he asks - so, like do you want one? (first time the question inflection has been correctly applied)
I pause - Doesn't sound like you have one.
I take another step.
From deep in the aisles of parts behind the counter comes a commanding tone - we have one!
And a 60 something guy comes out holding my part. We look at each other. He looks normal. I look normal. He talks normal. I talk normal. Two relics of an era gone by.
He says - he will ring you up. It wasn't a question.
No he won't. You will.
And he does.

Watch the video again, and imagine it is Christopher Walken speaking.

It's not a gay issue, it's a generation issue. I see it all the time from straight, gay, black, white...anyone under 30'ish.
People have been talking like that since at least the 80's. If I'm not mistaken, it was not uncommon in the 70's as well.

I don't care for it myself, but it isn't really a new thing.

Back