May 20th, 2010

asechrest

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
asechrest
That's when I took my first flight lesson, only days before having walked into the flight school on a whim on my way home from work.

Today I became a private pilot.

It was a long journey for me. I am a man of pretty normal means; solidly middle class with a young family. I took lessons steadily as time and money permitted, mainly on weekdays after work. With all said and done, including the checkride, I have 75.1 hours and a hair over 200 landings.

A big thanks to my instructor. And a warm thanks to the POA community. A number of you responded to my last-minute pre-checkride "help" threads. And many more contributed to my success by their posts in the past; I read a ton of them. This community also helped me keep my head in the flying game, which I think is imperative if you're on the "three year plan" like I was. And while I don't recommend dragging it out like I did, you do what you can with what you have, as my instructor says.

After the initial euphoria, believe it or not, I was left with a "now what?" feeling. Not so much a "what do I do with my license," but more a recognition of a challenge surmounted without one to immediately take its place. Which is fine, now that I think about it. I think I'll fly around some, and we'll see what the future brings.

-Adam

Congratulations!! Good job keeping the the total time under control while taking a few years to get it done, well done.

'Gimp

Awesome! Congratulations!!! I agree, the challenge of getting it left a hole in my heart afterwards. You will just have to focus on that instrument rating with me. :)

Congrats!!! You go flying now, with someone other than your CFI!! :D

Awesome! Congratulations!!! I agree, the challenge of getting it left a hole in my heart afterwards. You will just have to focus on that instrument rating with me. :)

Hah! I'm exhausted at the moment...was a long day. But I have no doubt I'll need a new challenge at some point in the not too distant future. :)

Congratulations! Enjoy it, keep current and learn a lot :)

Congratulations. A great accomplishment. Welcome to the club.

It is a huge accomplishment, and one you will forever be proud to have accomplished. Well done! Did you get pics? I'll be happy to create a commemorative certificate if you want. My students have enjoyed them.

Fly safe!

Well done sir! Welcome to the club and congrats on the achievement! Now the real fun starts.

Quick aside, I came back from a flight the other day and ran into a guy at the flight school who just past his check ride and he was grinning from ear to ear. I congratulated him and asked if he "rang the bell"- a tradition at the flight school. He said, "ohhh yeah. I worked hard to ring that bell!" It brought me back to the day I passed my check ride, a day I'll hopefully never forget. I'm sure the OP will remember his check ride day for a long time!

Congrats on the rating and more so for recognizing the "now what" syndrome that IMO is the Achilles' heel for many aspiring GA pilots. Fact is, we got no good answers to the question and see many examples of the frustration and inactivity that accompany the next phase, if in fact it occurs.

For a guy like you with no plane and the budgetary limitations that you described/imposed on your flying, there aren't many apparent answers that seem all that attractive.

This is especially true if you don't have anywhere you need or want to go that fits the GA profile and while you are limited by weather, time, and all of the external factors that accompany the eye-popping FBO rental rates.

I think you'll find it necessary to work as hard (or harder) to come up with the right ongoing plan for your flying career as for your PPL training. But you've already done it once, so there's no doubt that you can do it again. Club, co-ownership, IR, Commercial, CFI or whatever makes sense. And this time without the constant little voice in your right ear accompanied by the big arse in the right seat.:p

That's when I took my first flight lesson, only days before having walked into the flight school on a whim on my way home from work.

After the initial euphoria, believe it or not, I was left with a "now what?" feeling. Not so much a "what do I do with my license," but more a recognition of a challenge surmounted without one to immediately take its place. Which is fine, now that I think about it. I think I'll fly around some, and we'll see what the future brings.

-Adam

Tailwheel Endorsement, Seaplanes, Gliders, Instrument, Commercial, Multi, CFI, CFII, ATP :rofl:

Really though - as Wayne mentioned you need to focus on trips that meet the GA profile. Somewhere fun to visit for a night or a weekend that would be a real pain to drive but an easy flight. That is usually 1.5-2.5 hours flight time one way.

Start building XC time toward the instrument rating. It will give you a goal, and somewhere to go.

Congrats,if you need a new challenge keep going up the ratings chain.Had a lot of fun getting the IR.

He's gonna end up doing a lot of FL coast to coast which is actually a really good GA mission.

Agreed and thanks for your thoughts. I think in the immediate term, I'll continue to rent from my flight school, and will strive to at least do some pattern work every week. Even if it's a half hour after work, I'll enjoy it and it keeps me in the game. I want to stay proficient because I do plan to fly the girlfriend and her kids in the central and south Florida area.

I've casually explored some clubs and I only know of one in my immediate area. The pricing does not appear all that great, but I think if you factor in daily minimums it may come out significantly ahead. I'll have to look into it more. More so than the hourly price, the daily minimums are what's throwing a wrench into my planning and budgeting. It turns a $240 weekend trip into $480.

Congrats on the rating and more so for recognizing the "now what" syndrome that IMO is the Achilles' heel for many aspiring GA pilots. Fact is, we got no good answers to the question and see many examples of the frustration and inactivity that accompany the next phase, if in fact it occurs.

For a guy like you with no plane and the budgetary limitations that you described/imposed on your flying, there aren't many apparent answers that seem all that attractive.

This is especially true if you don't have anywhere you need or want to go that fits the GA profile and while you are limited by weather, time, and all of the external factors that accompany the eye-popping FBO rental rates.

I think you'll find it necessary to work as hard (or harder) to come up with the right ongoing plan for your flying career as for your PPL training. But you've already done it once, so there's no doubt that you can do it again. Club, co-ownership, IR, Commercial, CFI or whatever makes sense. And this time without the constant little voice in your right ear accompanied by the big arse in the right seat.:p

He's gonna end up doing a lot of FL coast to coast which is actually a really good GA mission.

Yeah. I just have to watch the cost and try to find a club to get away from daily minimums. Incidentally, my examiner chose KPIE to KFXE as my flight plan, which is a pretty realistic trip for me.

I also may opt to continue to make the commute by car, then make our flights from over there. Key West, Cape Canaveral, etc. I really like KLNA as a cool little GA airport. Haven't checked out rentals there yet.

Yeah. I just have to watch the cost and try to find a club to get away from daily minimums. Incidentally, my examiner chose KPIE to KFXE as my flight plan, which is a pretty realistic trip for me.

I also may opt to continue to make the commute by car, then make our flights from over there. Key West, Cape Canaveral, etc. I really like KLNA as a cool little GA airport. Haven't checked out rentals there yet.

Did you call Robert's on the list I gave you? He's at FXE and is pretty easy to deal with. He may not screw with you daily mins depending on how busy he is. It's a small operation.

Congratulations. Where's a clapping smilie when you need one? :dunno:

I feel yer pain with the "now what?" feeling. Now that I have the license I have to figure out what to do with it. :wink2: I think ownership would be the way to go but financially that needs to wait until after my daughter graduates college. Time will tell.

-Adam

Find another person in a similar situation and go together on a mid-time, serviceable "anything" that's cheap...a time builder. Cherokee 140s are a great option since they have room for bags with two people, but have four seats if you want to take mom and a couple of kiddies for a $100 hamburger run.

We'd do a family day at a waterpark in the Wisconsin Dells.... 3+ hours by car, but barely over an hour by Mooney! There are lots of those types of trips that would be easy in a Cherokee.

Key West is one of the best excuses there is to fly. Driving there is a nightmare, but it's a quick easy flight.

Find another person in a similar situation and go together on a mid-time, serviceable "anything" that's cheap...a time builder. Cherokee 140s are a great option since they have room for bags with two people, but have four seats if you want to take mom and a couple of kiddies for a $100 hamburger run.

We'd do a family day at a waterpark in the Wisconsin Dells.... 3+ hours by car, but barely over an hour by Mooney! There are lots of those types of trips that would be easy in a Cherokee.

I will start exploring some of these types of options. I think joining a club is a good medium-term plan until I have the means to do something like you describe.

Key West is one of the best excuses there is to fly. Driving there is a nightmare, but it's a quick easy flight.

Yeah, this trip is top of the list for me and the SO/kids. I'd like to go in the next 6-12 months after I get a few shorter hops under my belt. Will probably call on you and the folks here for advice for that flight. :)

Congratulations, Adam - it is a real privilege, and you should be very proud of that which you have accomplished.

Now, take a friend flying - amaze them at your skill and prowess! :yes:

Henning's spot-on; it is so very cool to not only fly, but in the process, to cheat the ground's impediments, and flying the Keys is a great way to do it, and stunning to look at, to boot.

Just watch out for the balloon! :hairraise:

Congratulations, Adam - it is a real privilege, and you should be very proud of that which you have accomplished.

Now, take a friend flying - amaze them at your skill and prowess! :yes:

Henning's spot-on; it is so very cool to not only fly, but in the process, to cheat the ground's impediments, and flying the Keys is a great way to do it, and stunning to look at, to boot.

Just watch out for the balloon! :hairraise:

Thanks for the congrats.

I was looking at that balloon on the sectional when studying for my checkride. Was picking through all of the symbols making sure I knew what each of them was. Know how I found the balloon? I was looking at the minimum safe altitude numbers for each sector; 400ft, 400ft, 700ft, 14,200ft....what? :D

Then I saw it. :rofl:

Thanks for the congrats.

I was looking at that balloon on the sectional when studying for my checkride. Was picking through all of the symbols making sure I knew what each of them was. Know how I found the balloon? I was looking at the minimum safe altitude numbers for each sector; 400ft, 400ft, 700ft, 14,200ft....what? :D

Then I saw it. :rofl:

Keep the islands on the right on the way down, and left on the way up and you'll be fine.;)

Back