How far is your hangar?

linuxjim

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
JJ
A recent thread on hangar costs got me thinking again about where I keep my plane. There is an airport 11 miles away that charges $500 for a T hangar. I, instead opted to go to an airport 33 miles away (~40 min) to save a few hundred a month, although I suspect I'm flying a little less than I would if it were closer. Still getting about 100 hrs a year though.

How far is your plane? How far is too far?

Don't know the mileage but it's about 30 minutes in traffic. There's another airport closer but since this is a club plane I don't have the option.

Currently 40 minutes (but I live in the mountains so not much flat land closer).
Max for me to the plane tolerable might be 60 minutes.

Unless one can walk from the kitchen to the hangar I don't think it makes a lot of difference. Once in the truck a few more miles isn't a big deal.

For the past ten years my hangar has been about an hour from my house. I live right off IAD but the plane is at CJR 35 NM SW.
In a few months, the plane will officially based at NC26. I won't even have to go outside to go from my bed to the plane.
Living the live!

I live 10 min from local municipal airfield, but there are no hangars available & it is poorly managed, so no loss. Large class C airport is 20 min away & is expensive. I hangar next town which is about a 30 min drive from home & like it just fine. Fuel & hangar space are cheaper there, too.

30 minutes from home, but only 4 minutes from work, which makes it super easy to get in some afternoon flights.

<40min ~30miles.

There is one airport that I could probably drive to in 20min or so but they had no hangar available. The one I'm at has me in a community hangar which I wasn't happy about at first but they get the plane out and put it away for me so I'm almost saving the time difference right there. Plus the closer airport has a single 60x4000' runway and the only service on field is a self-serve gas pump. Where I'm at has maintenance, training, a ~7000x150 runway, and two ~5400x150 runways.

Point of all that being sometimes farther is really closer..

About 35-40 minutes. Pay $300 for a 40 year old hangar. I have another airport a little closer but hangar cost the same. It would make sense to move just to be closer, but have lots of friends at my current airport.

30 minutes.

What's interesting is there are three Class G/E airports within 30-35 minutes of where I live. This one offered a private hangar.

Last edited:
The closest airport to my house is 9 minutes, but they don't have hangars or fuel, only tie down spaces. Otherwise that airport is reasonably nice and has a nice pilot shack. To have a hangar and fuel the next airport down is 18 minutes away. Yes, it is a few minutes further but well worth having my freshly painted airplane in a new hangar. Fortunately it is all four lane divided rural highway to the airport so it is an easy drive.

IMG_20151110_151324_zpsr9f4cv3s.jpg

50 ft about...........

It's about a 40 minute drive from the house. While we'd like it to be closer, there's a long wait list at the closer airports, so it is what it is. Honestly, the airport we're based at is excellent. Rent isn't bad, cheap fuel, and excellent customer service plus a 6800 ft runway. We don't even mind the drive because of these factors.

7.6 miles. 13 minutes

Hangar rent is $255 for a new T and it's a great airport with multiple approaches.

I live 16 minutes to 21 minutes from the airport depending on which way I go.
It is a nice drive.
I find the distance annoying when I want to fly early or need to meet someone.
I live on a bluff; the airport is in a valley so I travel for our view.
A T hangar is $208 per month at SMX.

2 miles, 6 minute drive. Before then it was about 5 miles/10 minutes in my prior state. I've been always one to consider proximity to the airplane a key element to enjoying this expense. I understand the desire for hangar, but a 40-60 minute drive to the airplane would be a non-starter for me. I'd exit stage at that point.

To answer the OP, for me, 20 minutes is about as far as I'd tolerate to justify this expense.

House-Snow.JPG

Taken during a rare NC snow storm. The photographer is standing in the middle of the runway. THere's a taxiway that passes about where the footsteps are (about 10 feet beyond the retaining walls around the hangar ramp). Don't even need to go outside to get to the plane. The windows on the front there go to the master bath and my office. I sit at my desk and look out at the runway and remember I'm retired so I can go fly anytime...

How far is your plane? How far is too far?
I have two bases right now. I keep the 170 at ORF which is 10 min from my driveway.

The Waco and Twin Beech are at CPK which is a good 35 min away.

I hate having to drive 30+ min to fly, but for me, how far is a matter of cost and quality. I won't keep the Beech 18 or biplane at ORF for a couple reasons. First, the T-hangars are in horrible shape and moisture/corrosion is a real problem. The only way to protect them is to put them in one of the corporate hangars......which are expensive ($500 for a single and $1100/month for the Twin Beech). Plus, have them in the corporate hangar means relying on the Signature line guys to move them. After having the Baron there for 3 years......I do not trust those guys at all.

CPK hangars are in much better shape and cheaper......so I choose to drive when I want to fly.

I'm about 12-15 minutes away. Closest next airport is about 40 minutes away. I was there for a month during a renovation project and only flew the airplane once that month. It wasn't pretty.

5 minutes, about 2 miles by road. I'm only maybe 1/4 mile from the airport property in a straight line, but its a little longer drive due to dead end roads and the entrance gate being on the west side of the airport but I live to the east.

Taken during a rare NC snow storm. The photographer is standing in the middle of the runway. THere's a taxiway that passes about where the footsteps are (about 10 feet beyond the retaining walls around the hangar ramp). Don't even need to go outside to get to the plane. The windows on the front there go to the master bath and my office. I sit at my desk and look out at the runway and remember I'm retired so I can go fly anytime...

Ok, now THAT is nice! You live there?

IF I had one, it'd be within 25-30 minutes no matter where I went, as there is a Class C, D, and 2-E airports all about equidistant from my house. Unfortunately, the C/D are fairly pricey and one E-airport is almost defunct and has a shorter runway (2500ft) with no instrument approaches. The other E-airport has a pretty narrow runway (3700x30ft) and no night ops allowed or instrument approaches, but new enclosed T-hangers with automated doors are $150/mo. I'd love to be able to afford enough land to have my own runway right next to my house in the distant future, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

I rent but it is 45-50 minutes (36 miles). A friend has a strip and a hanger about 6 miles away. Not sure if they would let me rent from them if I ever buy something. Figure until I am ready no point in asking but that would be soooooooooo nice.

I never checked the odometer when driving there, but it's about 20 minutes by mountain roads, or 20 minutes (but much farther) by highway. I'm in a community hangar and could probably find a better arrangement (i.e. a private T-hangar) elsewhere, but it would be MUCH farther (as in, over an hour), so I've no plans to move my plane for the foreseeable future. Also, a private hangar is an eventual possibility where I am, though availability is very limited.

I used to be a quick bike ride from the airport. They closed it down for noise complaints from Californians moving in.
Then I was at an airport 7 miles away which used to take 10 minutes to get to though just one traffic light. Now we have dozens of new neighborhoods (for Californians moving in) and dozens of new (unsynchronized) lights so the new travel time is about 1/2 hour for the 7 miles. (which yields a 14mph average speed, how sad)
Now I am at another airport that is 26 miles and 1/2 hour from my house. But I might not be able to stay much longer either.
So I might end up at yet another airport 34 miles and 50 minutes away.

So what's the point of flying if it takes you longer to get to your airplane than to fly to your destination? :(

12 miles, 16 mins to the local Class D muni airport. T-hangar is $209/mo. My original training field was a 30 min drive from home.

My hangar is about 55 minutes away, 45 if you take the tollway. The airport that is just a 10 minute drive from my house would cost about $500 more per month for a comparable hangar so I can't complain.

Back