Will SpaceX land booster on ship today?

Will SpaceX land their rocket on a ship today (Apr13)?

• Yes!

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • Close but no cigar

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • A flaming wreck

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Other (launch postponed, etc)

Votes: 9 29.0%

• Total voters
Technically it's a barge, but it's really an interesting solution to landing emergencies. I hope they get it, they will eventually, they have the money to absorb a few more at least.

SpaceX says 75-80% chance of success!

Weather is much more benign than last time, and they've updated Just Read The Instructions with bigger thrusters.

uuV6Xjv.jpg

It'll hit the barge.....but, will it be usable again?....and not a smoking hole? :D

Looks good on paper,hoping they make it.

Is close but no cigar actually an option when the next choice is "flaming wreck"? :dunno::lol:

I'm surprised that more think it will be a total success than think the launch will be postponed. I don't know the exact numbers but I think the statistical probability of a postponment in such a complicated space vehicle is pretty good.

I'm surprised that more think it will be a total success than think the launch will be postponed. I don't know the exact numbers but I think the statistical probability of a postponment in such a complicated space vehicle is pretty good.
those are all the investors....with wishful thinking. :goofy::lol:

I didn't notice the 'today' in the survey question. I take a backseat to nobody in SpaceX/Elon fanboi-ism, but given their dispatch reliability I wouldn't bet the ranch on launching today.

But when they do launch, they'll land on the barrage.

I expect a smoother landing than that first attempt.

Yeah, I chose "other" for that reason, the chance of them completing a successful countdown with no delays is low.

Personally I think the Mars goal for colonization is a poor one. It's more work to establish a livable colony infrastructure on Mars than to build a massive colony ship that we can park at the asteroid belt and mine/process a planets worth of high construction value minerals. It also gives us a way to use all our nuclear waste, and bombs, constructively; look up the old Project Orion stuff.

Mars doesn't provide value to the future of mankind, the asteroid belt does. It's where we build the billion person ring ecosystems.

Last edited:
Why on water?

Seems even if they land it, there is a high probability of it tipping over.
Maybe that barge is much bigger compared to the rocket than the image makes it look.

I predict ugliness.

Why on water?

Seems even if they land it, there is a high probability of it tipping over.
Maybe that barge is much bigger compared to the rocket than the image makes it look.

I predict ugliness.

Well they aren't orbiting yet are they? If not the shot ballistics demand it. Plus water allows for some limited extra payload recovery opportunity if things aren't going right.

lightening in the area...
(commentator said they have a 1 second launch window today)

Last edited:
how long after liftoff til the expected booster landing attempt?

How do spacecraft provide power?
It all has to be batteries right?

No wind to spin an alternator.
It is just batteries and some solar?

hold. weather cancelled launch for today

So if you voted "other/launch scrubbed", you win!

Signed,
Captain Obvious:goofy:

Launch aborted at T-3:00 for thunderstorm proximity to the launch site.

The rocket was ready to go.

:mad2:

3 minutes.. All they needed was 3 minutes.

I was starting to notice it getting darker out behind the VAB. Also those low scud clouds were starting to get more numerous.

Just a bit of weather..

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 16
How do spacecraft provide power?
It all has to be batteries right?

No wind to spin an alternator.
It is just batteries and some solar?
As Henning says, a fuel cells provide power and drinking water. But they are only used, AFAIK, on manned space vehicles.

Spacecraft generally use solar arrays, with battery backup. There are alternate systems that generate power from the heat generated by a radioactive source (e.g., Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generator, or RTG), but these are generally political footballs and usually only are used in cases where there are no alternatives (e.g., deep space).

Launch vehicles, on the other hand, use batteries. Each stage only runs a couple of minutes, but the guidance section needs to stay "live" until the payload is ejected. This can be several minutes, several hours, or even several days if the deployments are complex enough. In the latter case, the final stage often includes solar arrays to stay alive longer.

Ron Wanttaja

Back