What do you use for flight recording?

Flyer86

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Mike
Trying to figure out the best setups for recording audio and video on my flights... what do you guys use?

gopro hero 3+ used off ebay, for audio I use the Nflightcam cable

I also have an audio adapter for my iPhone so I can record video with it too (it does really well) and still capture the intercom/radio

never really thought about just using a phone... I would probably want to go hero or something though... just for convenience

SJCAM 4000 for the video. GoPro knockoff. For like 60 bucks per on Amazon. (there are upgraded versions of this camera available). For each camera I use a "Sony's Proforma PFVCTSC1 Suction Cup Mount." One I have stuck to the right side of the windshield facing in to the cabin. The other I have stuck to the left side of the windshield facing out over the nose.

Then I have a splitter cable for my headset and one plug goes into my Sony ICD-PX333. For whatever audio recorder you find, make sure it has a LINE IN option in the recording settings. It's tough finding one that says it up front. But the sony series stuff tends to have it.

The one thing I hate about aviation is that everything you get that has aviation attached to it is inherently more expensive than the equivalent you'd find for basically anything else. "Aviation PENCIL - $40." "Aviation t-shirt $100." This is why I absolutely REFUSE to patronize certain common vendors, just because they're a "pilot shop."

Last edited:
Since I am frugal (read cheap) I use an old ipod I have and one of those as seen on TV sticky mounts. Video isn't as good as the go pro but works.

Your frugal brethren are interested in how you mount your old iPod? Got ine for Christmas a few years ago, it won't be missed if I move it to the plane.

I have a set-up that captures stereo sound and 3-d video. Can't remember what it cost because I've had it for as long as I can remember. Only problem is the life of the recording media seems to be degrading with time...

The only problem with most of the setups is you get jello effect with the vibrations inherent in planes + rolling shutter on most of our digital cameras. Especially my SJ's. In bright light the jello drives me NUTS during editing. Ruins the video for long portions of the flight. Throwing a neutral density filter on to the lens seems to help. I haven't had any experience using my cell phone, but now I'm intrigued.

Another possible way to get audio is to splice in the relevant MP3s from the LiveATC archive.

Your frugal brethren are interested in how you mount your old iPod? Got ine for Christmas a few years ago, it won't be missed if I move it to the plane.
Some of the reviews say the sticky stuff gets bad after awhile I have had it about a year so far still working. It is a little bit of a pain because you have to be carful you don't turn it off when you stick it to the mount because the camera is on the back and the touch screen is what sticks to the mount.
http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Gripgo-Universal-Phone-Mount/dp/B00CUKEZ5E
51H2qF45l0L.jpg

The only problem with most of the setups is you get jello effect with the vibrations inherent in planes + rolling shutter on most of our digital cameras. Especially my SJ's. In bright light the jello drives me NUTS during editing. Ruins the video for long portions of the flight. Throwing a neutral density filter on to the lens seems to help. I haven't had any experience using my cell phone, but now I'm intrigued.

The way I handle the jello effect is that I have found that I just fly turbine powered aircraft when shooting videos. The lack of engine vibration seems to keep the jello to a minimum.

You may be able to get rid of the jello with a neutral density filter, if you can fit one to the device you're using. Those also help with the wavy prop effect. I split my audio to go to the GoPro so it gets recorded. If not that, you could split the audio to one of those digital voice recorders if it has an aux input (they're not that expensive anymore) and add that track while editing your video.

I think thats what I'm going to have to do. I have an old Gopro HD hero gen 1 right now... I don't think they are audio in compatible, but then again its so old I cant seem to find a legit answer based on the manual...

Back