Total Solar Eclipse on Monday, April 8, 2024

Good to know what places to avoid. Not that I'm a party pooper but I want to watch the eclipse then head out to Sun&Fun.
Yes sir. I am planning on flying to small strips in NE Texas through mid Arkansas; preferably ones that won't accommodate larger aircraft thus larger crowds and less space on the ramp. I would avoid any airport mentioned in any magazine. I'll be in a flight of two, both 182's. Hopefully the weather in our desired area will be acceptable for viewing. I've got some ideas for south of the Tx hill country but I suspect they will be packed. We will be watching FlightAware that morning to see where the peak migratory patterns will be ;) .

Last edited:
Yes sir. I am planning on flying to small strips in NE Texas through mid Arkansas; preferably ones that won't accommodate larger aircraft thus larger crowds and less space on the ramp.
I do take your point, but I did find it ironic that my concern about a destination I'm considering is not having ramp space *because* it's a small strip...

1710967900215.png

Many airports along the route of totality require advance registration to land and park. Be sure to get your spots early.

Agreed concerning full vs annular. As far as crowds, I heard during the 2017 one all the airports were going to be packed, yet they were not where we were (western SC).

This is Princeton, KY in 2017 (4,099 paved fwiw) about 2 hours and 40 minutes prior to totality. It was pretty packed, but the airport was very well prepared and had plenty of help marshalling and stacking the arrivals 2-3 deep along the edges of the ramp.
3D0F8CEE-D1EE-40EB-9E00-4C92E16932E3_1_105_c.jpeg

2995D6C1-C4A8-4500-8A2E-C9434BA96671_1_105_c.jpeg

Urgh - I'm flying down to San Antonio. I guess I need to start calling FBOs to make sure I have ramp space.

If you are headed to a spot in central Texas in the Kempner / Burnet area, consider packing your own water. My Nextdoor feed from the family ranch area is blowing up with people concerned about the estimates on just how many people are coming based on reservations and the like.

I did a quick map recon and KPOF at Poplar Bluff MO looks like the most direct option for me. Anyone been there?

I called a couple of places in the Ozarks. They were moderately welcoming but no reservation system for those airfields.

This just in from the flight school at 5C1.
With the upcoming total eclipse in our area, the FAA is expecting airspace saturation flying that day. Anyone flying in the afternoon of Monday April 8th, (12 pm - 3 pm) must have an instructor with them.

I did a quick map recon and KPOF at Poplar Bluff MO looks like the most direct option for me. Anyone been there?
Not much there. There is a small FBO building with bathrooms and cheap self-serve fuel. I haven't heard of any event planning there. I'm planning KPCD because they did a nice job for the last one.

The other option would be to be resourceful, and call up some of the owners of private strips along the path and give them an ask. There's a couple I might do that with. Still trying to determine where to go because, well, weather. Muncie (MIE) seems to be a front runner. They have special procedures on the airport website, but nothing about reservations.

Not much there. There is a small FBO building with bathrooms and cheap self-serve fuel. I haven't heard of any event planning there. I'm planning KPCD because they did a nice job for the last one.
I'm coming from Florida, so going further north adds distance. I should probably be looking in NE Arkansas.

I'm coming from Florida, so going further north adds distance. I should probably be looking in NE Arkansas.
I'm at KIYA (South La). We are looking at DEQ, MEZ and 7M3. No fuel at 7M3 but a small strip that may not be crowded. I'll be watching Flightaware in the evening prior/morning of and finalize plans based on probable traffic. We'll hit DTN in Shreveport for brunch that morning.

Mt Pleasant, TX, KOSA, is another option. The FBO is very friendly, the ramp is pretty good-sized, and there’s a really good aviation museum on the field - with all of the aircraft flyable
And they will have the museum open. Monday the 8th they’ll be open from 8am til 5pm

This event will get interesting. I spoke with some Texas State Troopers and they're really worried. They expect people will just stop on freeways and get out of their cars. Sounds stupid, but they've seen it before.

Some airports are charging fees, like Llano
From the former airport manager: Llano airport is planning for the Eclipse. With camping on the field. 124 spots. There will be a medical response team on the field portapotties. Food trucks I have been told. Camping from the 5th to the 8th of April

NOTICE: On the day of the eclipse (4/8/24) the airport will be closed from Noon - 3pm.

Get Your Reserved Spot Today

Reserve a parking space for your aircraft along the runways for the entire weekend (link below).
NOTE: We are no longer accepting reservations for jets or prop planes over four-seats.

Am I the only one noticing that Gaston’s (3M0) is within the path of the eclipse?

Has anyone found specific airports in the Ozarks that might be acceptably safe and open for a last-minute plan? I have a lot of pieces to move into place to get out of town to see the eclipse, but the next total eclipse over the lower 48 isn’t for 20 years so it seems a shame to miss a(nother) opportunity.

I’m considering going down to MS to visit family for the weekend and timing a departure to fly southwest along the center of the path of totality from around 15 minutes before the total eclipse until we’ve seen it, then continue outside the path to stop for fuel on our way home. The RV-14 canopy should allow a decent view and I should have 2 hours of reserve fuel past my planned fuel stop, plus plenty of other airports outside the zoo but along the route.

Of course, if there is a good place to land and see it from the ground, I’d consider that. And if I can’t go, I won’t go.

While it’s still way early and long range weather forecasts are not reliable, weather forecasts from Killeen to Bloomington are not good.

Yes, I’m waiting until I get to accurate forecasting range, max flexibility. Right now I have NW IN, S IL, or staying home as options.
I just fueled up yesterday, plan to be ready.

Just read on a Facebook aviation group that KBVX Batesville AR is charging a $50 landing fee. Will that be a common thing?

The few FBOs and airports I've spoken with west of San Antonio are not planning to charge a ramp or landing fee. But that may be changing as they fully understand the anticipated magnitude of this event. One told me yesterday their corporate HQ has just decided to add a special events fee. It's based upon the aircraft type and you have to call for the fee. This FBO is a few miles outside the totality zone and I'm not sure it's going to be all that busy. The employee was frustrated as they've been telling people there would not be a fee. One airport restaurant in the totality zone will charge a $20 per person cover charge to offset the costs for extra tables, chairs, toilets, door prizes, etc. Given what this owner is doing to handle the crowds, I think it's a fair fee as he's not raising his menu prices. Personally, I'm mentally preparing myself for unexpected costs and aggravations. I'm committed to having a relaxing and enjoyable day.

Just read on a Facebook aviation group that KBVX Batesville AR is charging a $50 landing fee. Will that be a common thing?

KRID - Richmond, IN - $100 parking
KBMG - Bloomington, IN - $50 landing fee with PPR slot required plus $120 parking for a piston single

KRID - Richmond, IN - $100 parking
KBMG - Bloomington, IN - $50 landing fee with PPR slot required plus $120 parking for a piston single
I'm ok paying a reasonable fee if it assures a destination has prepared for the event and won't be overrun by unexpected arrivals.
Of course "reasonable" is different for me than it is for the operator of a King Air. I would like to find a smaller grass strip, but not sure how to go about it.

I would like to find a smaller grass strip, but not sure how to go about it.
Look at the eclipse map to find airports. Use contact info from Airnav and call said airport.

Am I the only one noticing that Gaston’s (3M0) is within the path of the eclipse?

Has anyone found specific airports in the Ozarks that might be acceptably safe and open for a last-minute plan? I have a lot of pieces to move into place to get out of town to see the eclipse, but the next total eclipse over the lower 48 isn’t for 20 years so it seems a shame to miss a(nother) opportunity.

I’m considering going down to MS to visit family for the weekend and timing a departure to fly southwest along the center of the path of totality from around 15 minutes before the total eclipse until we’ve seen it, then continue outside the path to stop for fuel on our way home. The RV-14 canopy should allow a decent view and I should have 2 hours of reserve fuel past my planned fuel stop, plus plenty of other airports outside the zoo but along the route.

Of course, if there is a good place to land and see it from the ground, I’d consider that. And if I can’t go, I won’t go.

I had noticed that 3M0 is in the path. However, I can't land at grass strips.

I'm looking at Holly Mountain Airpark (2A2) who says they don't have much room for parking planes and it is first come first served. I think they also do not have fuel.

I also spoke with Searcy County (4A5) who said the same thing.

Carroll County (4M1) told me that they have a few 310s which are coming in for fuel etc and then will fly the totality in formation. Also, he said they have no reservation system.

Today's forecast for April 8 says likely to be cloudy and a few sites also say rain.

Today's forecast for April 8 says likely to be cloudy and a few sites also say rain.

Both models:

8a142b9f72f7ea46a10a0d53a3d70069.jpg

ee0cff18ce1d7850ab5414f84602f660.jpg

They have tie-down spots for only four aircraft. They do plan to place a portapotty out there. I was the 58th pilot to contact them. It's first-come first-serve.
OUCH! That was one of my options (or so I thought :rolleyes:) and figured it was out of the way enough to have few A/C coming in. How naive of me. I wonder if they will allow parking on the UL grass strip?

Does anyone thing it is slightly amazing that we know exactly when and where these events occur?
I can't hardly keep track of the moon's unpredictable visitations, yet we know way in advance, incredible details of the next eclipse.
AND we have been doing this for thousands of years.
If you don't think it's difficult to predict the next eclipse, well.....go! (I wouldn't have a clue where to begin.)
(Other than googling, lol)

Does anyone thing it is slightly amazing that we know exactly when and where these events occur?
I can't hardly keep track of the moon's unpredictable visitations, yet we know way in advance, incredible details of the next eclipse.
AND we have been doing this for thousands of years.
If you don't think it's difficult to predict the next eclipse, well.....go! (I wouldn't have a clue where to begin.)
(Other than googling, lol)
Not at all. Astronomists have the movement patterns of heavenly bodies, especially those in near proximity to Earth, but including those beyond our solar system, pretty well dialed in. Knowledge of the night sky to at least a basic level was once a necessary skill if one hoped to leave their homes after sundown.

I understand the birth of Jesus has been dated based running known patterns in reverse on a millennial time scale, and finding an atypical convergence of three celestial point sources in the night sky of the Levant region that is believed to have formed the "star in the East" of biblical description.

Before mass communication, fewer people would know about it, and it would only be visible to the lucky few whom were otherwise already in the path of the shadow.

Solution to all possible Eclipse problems:
Start at 3:50 to avoid a really annoying irrelevant advertisement.

Back