TBM Down at KMWC

Flew out of KMWC with Kent and Pete for my first OSH, 2008.

That's a lot of fire. Doesn't look good, indeed.

Two dead now. :(

They just had some witnesses on the news - It sounds like the plane wasn't lined up with the runway when it went in. They also said there was a minute between the go-around call and the crash, so maybe not the go-around stall I was first envisioning. (Or, the usual bad reporting.)

Tail number is blocked on FlightAware. It is not possible to view the radar tracking of the plane.

So Sad! That young girl had her whole life ahead of her.

Did any of you see the comments below that article. This is what someone named Julie wrote. btw. I'd like to take Julie up on my next flight and show her the emergency exit.. Julie writes: (Must be nice to have your own plane. My parents and I had to drive to my college visits... in our 1986 LeBaron... two years ago. Sorry, but I have no compassion.)

Did any of you see the comments below that article. This is what someone named Julie wrote. btw. I'd like to take Julie up on my next flight and show her the emergency exit.. Julie writes: (Must be nice to have your own plane. My parents and I had to drive to my college visits... in our 1986 LeBaron... two years ago. Sorry, but I have no compassion.)

It must be a sad existence to have such an attitude. :sad:

Schadenfreude is not a new phenomenon in our society, and I certainly don't want to turn this thread political, but our wage inequality is starting to get "too big to ignore". As a result, you're going to see more public displays of schadenfreude than you're probably comfortable with. We deserve that dynamic since we refuse to take ownership for our political choices and the ignorance with which the majority exercises that choice.

That said, don't misunderstand. I do not condone nor support such behavior. I think our wage inequality needs fixing right yesterday and we need meaningful labor reform on a National level, so that the instances of "daddy took me to college on a TBM // I drove in a 1986 lebaron" gets drowned in a sea of gainfully employed content middle classers (a class who no longer exist as of our current setup), but I'm not gonna wish for rich people to die fiery deaths just because of it.

It was an incredibly insensitive comment on the part of that POS. That envy will consume her life in due time, I assure you. Everything comes to a head in life.

22 year old son just passed away this past October. That poor family, 3 deaths within 9 months time.

Last edited:
News now saying the plane and pilot were based out of my home drone (KBVY)....dont know the pilot but hits a little closer to home.

RIP

Does it ever?

Maybe poorly worded on my part, but what I meant was "Doesn't look survivable." In that respect, yeah... some of them look better than others (ie, not engulfed in flames).

My heart goes out to the family. What was likely supposed to be a fun trip dreaming about the future ended in tragedy. This on top of the son's passing last Fall. I can't even imagine...

In case anyone else has to do what I did:

scha·den·freu·de
ˈSHädənˌfroidə/
noun
noun: Schadenfreude; noun: schadenfreude

1. pleasure derived by someone from another person's misfortune.
Origin

German Schadenfreude, from Schaden ‘harm’ + Freude ‘joy.’

=====================

Also, newspaper (and youtube) comments are some of the most toxic content you can ever find. It continually surprises me that the folks that spew some nonsense even know how to read, let alone right an opinion on the article they just read.

Ok, so if wage inequality "needs fixing", you do realize that means fewer airplane owners, right? (Since we're all rich bastards, and do not deserve anything we have)...

Wow. Even though he looked like the "typical rich guy with too much airplane" he was actually an ATP with type ratings in the Phenom 300 and Challenger 300.

Ok, so if wage inequality "needs fixing", you do realize that means fewer airplane owners, right? (Since we're all rich bastards, and do not deserve anything we have)...

Doubtful. In the last 100 years, the lowest wage inequality was in 1976, and GA was thriving.

"Fixing" it likely means maybe 10% less jet owners and 100%+ more single-engine owners and pilots.

Condolences to the wife and mother,may they rest in peace. There will always be jealous people who like to hTe out there.

What a tragedy in so many ways. Condolences to the wife/mother and any other family members. Rest in peace.

Grossly inappropriate.

Take it to Spin Zone.

Doubtful. In the last 100 years, the lowest wage inequality was in 1976, and GA was thriving.

"Fixing" it likely means maybe 10% less jet owners and 100%+ more single-engine owners and pilots.

Thank you flyincheesehead, that was what I was attempting to convey. Being lumped into the turbine owner crowd as the owner of a $45K POS Arrow who has to forego upper class housing (what people call middle class...joke) and new cars in order to afford it, while being considered anything from a pariah amongst peers, to actually being accused behind my back to my wife that my lifestyle is tantamount to domestic neglect against my wife and child, is just rich, no pun intended.

Just because I'm an advocate for a strong middle class, doesn't mean I wish harm on the rich. My comments reflected my disdain for the comment quoted by the lady; I merely attempted to contextualize where those folks are coming from and it's blasphemy all of a sudden up in here.

I don't believe in trickle down economics, so I don't believe advocating for what keeps people rich, helps keep middle class people middle class. I know and have experienced that first hand in my life. My point was that said position does NOT equate to wishing for the demise of a rich family the way they did. Maybe folks need to read the entire sentence before seeing red the second their brain registers triggers like "equality" "distribution" et al. Breathe people, Jesus.....:rolleyes2:

Thank you flyincheesehead, that was what I was attempting to convey. Being lumped into the turbine owner crowd as the owner of a $45K POS Arrow who has to forego upper class housing (what people call middle class...joke) and new cars in order to afford it, while being considered anything from a pariah amongst peers, to actually being accused behind my back to my wife that my lifestyle is tantamount to domestic neglect against my wife and child, is just rich, no pun intended.

Just because I'm an advocate for a strong middle class, doesn't mean I wish harm on the rich. My comments reflected my disdain for the comment quoted by the lady; I merely attempted to contextualize where those folks are coming from and it's blasphemy all of a sudden up in here.

I don't believe in trickle down economics, so I don't believe advocating for what keeps people rich, helps keep middle class people middle class. I know and have experienced that first hand in my life. My point was that said position does NOT equate to wishing for the demise of a rich family the way they did. Maybe folks need to read the entire sentence before seeing red the second their brain registers triggers like "equality" "distribution" et al. Breathe people, Jesus.....:rolleyes2:

The general public does not know the difference between your Arrow and a TBM. It's all the same.

If you make more than $100k, you need to be "knocked down a notch" in the interest of "fairness"....

To a lot of the public, crashing your own "private plane" is viewed the same way as crashing your own Lamborghini (and probably while breaking a few laws along the way). It's a risk one has to opt-in to and it's hard for people who are ignorant of GA to relate to and empathize with.

Sure there is an amount of jealousy, but I think that comment comes more from lack of relatability than somebody's communist agenda.

It's very tragic for the surviving family and I'm interested in how this go-around went so bad. Coincidentally, I had to go-around on my last trip and did a ****-poor job of managing my flaps on the climb-out. I need to go out and practice.

Julie wrote. btw. I'd like to take Julie up on my next flight and show her the emergency exit.. Julie writes: (Must be nice to have your own plane. My parents and I had to drive to my college visits... in our 1986 LeBaron... two years ago. Sorry, but I have no compassion.)

People don't get that it is all about priorities. We don't have cable TV, my wife and I share one car, and we don't have kids, but we have an airplane... which costs less than many motorhomes.

People don't get that it is all about priorities. We don't have cable TV, my wife and I share one car, and we don't have kids, but we have an airplane... which costs less than many motorhomes.

I get it. My wife and I live a fairly austere lifestyle as far as our daily lives are concerned We live in a small condo without cable though we do have high speed internet and just one TV. We each have a vehicle but no boat, no motorhome, no motorcycle. Our extra money goes towards our mutual travels and flying. Personal choices.

You have to think she is in a better place now if you believe in that sort of thing.

I get it. My wife and I live a fairly austere lifestyle as far as our daily lives are concerned We live in a small condo without cable though we do have high speed internet and just one TV. We each have a vehicle but no boat, no motorhome, no motorcycle. Our extra money goes towards our mutual travels and flying. Personal choices.

I could be wrong but I think TBM owners don't have to sacrifice cable or a spare TV to afford GA :D

But I hear you. Most people are surprised when they hear that I fly, then they act like it makes sense when I tell them that I rent, then they ask how much it costs to rent and we're back to shock and disbelief! I could use that money for lots of other things but I choose to spend it on bad landings and flight following.

What does one of them look like exactly?

Generally, someone who has a non-aviation-related, full-time-plus, stressful but high-paying job, owns a turbine and flies it single-pilot way less than they need to to remain proficient. Generally found in the middle of a very expensive smoking hole.

This guy was certified to fly two different jets.

The latest "news" if you can call it that is that he bounced twice on landing and decided to go around and torque-rolled it in the process. How you get a call to tower in in the middle of all that, I don't know.

Very sorry to see this. I always hate seeing a young life with a bright future just snuffed out like this. Practice your go arounds and other emergency procedures everyone... This can happen to anyone of us.

This happened at my local airport. I landed at Mitchell Intl (6 miles away) from a commercial flight from Boston about 10 minutes before the accident and winds were pretty bumpy even for a big jet. KMWC has been undergoing runway resurface so only one runway open (15/33) so even if wind really was only 10 knots it would have been a direct cross wind with a slight tail wind landing into 33R. My understanding after local chatter & reading the report is they touched down ok but apparently got pushed around by wind and started losing control. Pilot then tried to execute a go-around but given how far to the end of the runway they were getting pitched up for the go around but engine had not spooled up enough (apparently turbo props have a lag to spool up if you're take them all the way to idle) to generate enough lift and the left wing & nose dropped and wing made contact w/ the ground. Sad story and tough when it's so close.

What does this have to do with the topic? If you have a problem with Rich people, become rich and show them how it's done. To sit there and complain about it doesn't get anybody anywhere!

Folks it looks like prop strikes on the runway. Might've been too much airplane for the pilot:

http://fox6now.com/2015/08/11/ntsb-...ght-fire-at-timmerman-struck-ground-22-times/

What does this have to do with the topic? If you have a problem with Rich people, become rich and show them how it's done. To sit there and complain about it doesn't get anybody anywhere!

Folks it looks like prop strikes on the runway. Might've been too much airplane for the pilot:

http://fox6now.com/2015/08/11/ntsb-...ght-fire-at-timmerman-struck-ground-22-times/

Agreed....

"All four propeller blades remained attached to the hub assembly and exhibited S-shape bends, tip curls, chordwise scratching, and leading edge damage "

Similar to the Aerostar in Fla this spring, but that guy was able to limp it home...

Accidents happen. That's why they are called accidents. It can happen to ANYONE. If you think it can't you're mistaken.

Back