Static cling sun shades

Timbeck2

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Timbeck2
Lots of them out there. I want just something I can throw on the window anywhere to stop the glare. Any suggestions on which brand?

I bought the ones from Sporty's. They work pretty good but wish they were larger.

They didn't have good reviews because they aren't transparent. That is of course if we're talking about the same ones, they sell more than one.

They are fairly transparent. I wouldn't recommend them for placing on a windshield where you have to look through them. I use them on the top of my bubble canopy.

I use Sporty's perforated black ones. I don't look into the sun directly on a long xc above the clouds on FF. Transparency is not important to me. Staying attached and blocking the sun is.

I use Sporty's perforated black ones. I don't look into the sun directly on a long xc above the clouds on FF. Transparency is not important to me. Staying attached and blocking the sun is.

The perforated shades have surprising visibility. It's all about being close. Worked well in the driver's side window in Mom's car. Should work in the plane, too, but I'd not put anything on the windshield while flying. That what sunglasses and hats are for!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 28
Find a store near you that sells baby supplies. I bought a set 45 years ago at a store to keep the sun off my firstborn while in the car. Used them for every kid after him, and then in a bunch of different airplanes.
They still work.

I just stick those things to my pasty white body to ward off melanoma up here at altitude. Way too much UV floating around.

Actually using Shawn's link above (although not his suggestion but on the same page) I ordered the Composiclean static visors in two sizes. I can cut them down if I need to.

Find a store near you that sells baby supplies. I bought a set 45 years ago at a store to keep the sun off my firstborn while in the car. Used them for every kid after him, and then in a bunch of different airplanes.
They still work.
If anyone finds a good set of kids sunshades let us know. We have bought half a dozen different sets for our girls and they are all terrible.

Lots of them out there. I want just something I can throw on the window anywhere to stop the glare. Any suggestions on which brand?
These are a great addition to any cockpit, but a word of caution.

be absolutely certain they remain clean, when they pick up grit they scratch the hell out of the inside of the window. People put them on the window, then as the sun spot moves they move the shade. ouch. the inside of a wind screen is very hard to polish.

If anyone finds a good set of kids sunshades let us know. We have bought half a dozen different sets for our girls and they are all terrible.

Well if it's for your personal vehicle, just get the windows tinted and be done with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are tinted to the maximum allowed.

Then go darker than allowed. lol. I have 5% on mine, even though the state law says 20% on all rear windows. However, in OK/TX they don't seem to care too much about the tint being past legal limits since so many people have it done. It just gets too hot down here to justify the law for most enforcement agencies.

headover to the local auto shop, buy a roll of the shade film in whatever darkness you prefer, cut to shape.

AOPA used to give them out at some of the events. More useful than their stupid hats (which never fit me anyhow).

Don't ever put one on your car window and roll the window down however :)

I've used these in by Cub and RV-4. Work fine. In fact, I have one I leave in the windshield of my Cub. Seemed I was forever flying into the sun. I barely notice now until the sun is directly in my face. I've heard of them "melting" into the plexiglass, but I've pulled mine off and replaced it after having been in place for months with no ill effect.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/sunguardsmall.php?clickkey=19548

Back