Squirrel in the house….Dave Taylor?

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
OK, here’s the problem. He’s been in the house most of the day, and I have him confined to the laundry room, which connects to the greenhouse. The greenhouse doors are wide open to make his egress easier for him. He won’t leave his spot between the cabinet and the wall, even though I tried to herd him with a long stick. I go back about every hour and he just looks at me. Last time we had the stick discussion he grabbed the stick, bit the stick and growled at me.

Dave, or anybody, I’m open to suggestions as to the best, and kindest way to encourage him to leave. :dunno:

Diana said:
Dave, or anybody, I’m open to suggestions as to the best, and kindest way to encourage him to leave.

Put a trail of food out to where you want him to go.

Len

Len Lanetti said:
Put a trail of food out to where you want him to go.

Len
Hey, that sounds good! Hmmmmm. I wonder what kind of food would work the fastest?

ejensen said:
Toss a moth ball or two back there.
Another good idea. I'll see if I can find some in the barn. Just went back and had the same ineffective "stick herding" conversation. He's mad now.

Stand in the greenhouse door and act like a nut? :dunno:

gkainz said:
Stand in the greenhouse door and act like a nut? :dunno:
:D I already tried that and it didn't work.

Last time I was in the greenhouse trying to herd a wild animal with a stick I ended up getting a tetanus shot and antibiotics for the puncture wounds (I won't say where they were). Almost did the rabies shots.

Can you get behind him with the stick?
If so, get a couple wide sticks that'll barely fit in the slot he's hiding in. Bump him forward a bit, put the second stick behind the first so he can't get around it and work him out into the open.

A little chemical warfare might help. I'm thinking a cup of pine sol or something nasty smelling of that nature might send him running for the hills without hurting him.

If the area won't be damaged by water, a sprayer on the end of a garden hose blasted behind him will solve the problem.

Just make sure the path between him and the exit is blatantly obvious to him with no humans in sight so he doesn't try to retreat again. Plug any other hidie holes with something before starting lest he just changes residences on you. Be ready to block the path back the instant he comes out into the open.

Put on work gloves, jeans and some kind of thick rain jacket. That should keep him from biting you.

Peanut butter. Hav-a-meal trap. Then you either 1) cart him at least 20 miles away, or 2) terminate him. They WILL come back. BTDT.

You may have to wait him out.

I like the pellet gun idea....Here's one from my own past though:
My grandpa got tired of shooting ground squirrels one summer so he got a 100 foot peice of string and tied a slip knot in one end. Then placing the slipknot end around the current hole, he waited at the other end of the string...then....YANK!

Those stupid things must have flown ten feet in the air, but the knots always loosened up and they ran back down the hole.

Just tie a "good" slipknot and you'll entertain yourself and the squirrel for an hour or so....

--Matt

Well, Lamar doesn't have fox urine or anything that resembles it that can be used indoors. He doesn't seem to mind the moth balls. The sweeper made him move a bit. He's sitting on an electric box, against the wall, so I can't squirt or shoot him. He doesn't move far when I try to herd him with a stick. I'm beginning to think his foot is stuck? Otherwise, why wouldn't he try to get away from the stick? :dunno:

I wonder how thick a glove he might be able to bite through?

He has a trail of sunflower seeds to the greenhouse, and I'll shut that outside door tonight and set a cage trap with peanut butter on a cracker.

Thanks for all the suggestions! :)

Here he is.

Attachments

• Squirrel in the laundry room.JPG
    Squirrel in the laundry room.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 60
At least it's not a skunk, Diana. I had a young one in my garage a few years ago. It didn't even mind the cat who was in there with it. I think they were buddies. I tried the mothball thing but it had no effect. It eventually left on its own.

Re: Squirrel and Moose?

Well, looks like about a quart of water will take care of it just fine! Fried squirrel anyone!

"You get squirrel, Natasha, I get moose!" --Boris

Attachments

• not a whole moose.JPG
    not a whole moose.JPG
    806.7 KB · Views: 39
Diana said:
Here he is.

He doesn't move if you get a stick under his rear next to the box and another one over behind his head?

What happens if you pull the plug and fool with the wire he's sitting on?

He looks comfortable in his hole. Have you tried to put the stick back there in a very annoying position and tying it into place and leaving it?

I'm guessing pulling the cabinets off the wall would be a major undertaking.

It could be worse. It could be a bat or a raccoon.

Get a couple of hungry Ozark lads....squirrel stew fixins.:yes: They'll catch that critter....

fgcason said:
He doesn't move if you get a stick under his rear next to the box and another one over behind his head?
Tried that just awhile ago. He gets growly and chatters and doesn't move much. Before that, he became docile and didn't even move when I gently touched him with the stick. I think his foot is stuck.

fgcason said:
What happens if you pull the plug and fool with the wire he's sitting on?
:eek: Tom will be home at midnight. I'll have him do that part. :yes:

fgcason said:
It could be worse. It could be a bat or a raccoon.
Frank, that's a good point. :)

Re: Squirrel, what not to do

I don't know how to "evict" this little guy; however, this radio program has a great story. Squirrel Cop starts 20:00 minutes into the following program. I laugh until I cry everytime I hear it. The first part of the program is scratchy, so just wait until it loads enough to get to 20:00 and it will be clear and very entertaining.

This is from This American Life on NPR and is appropriate for all ages.

Chris

Do you have a CO2 fire extinguisher? I'd bet that that would either cool him off enough to handle or convince him to head for a warmer place.

animation3.gif

Last edited:
For future reference, Diana, here's my suggestion, its always worked (in New Hampshire, that is, where we had this happen often).

Get an airsoft gun, not a pellet gun. A pellet gun could possibly kill him, and it sounds like you don't want that. Airsoft shoots 6mm plastic BBs, and I've shot and been shot by them many times. It stings, but only for a second. If you shoot the squirrel with it, he'll be startled, and run out of the hiding space. You need to leave an opening so that when he runs, the only place he can go is out. The don't come back after this treatment, because they remember, but the important thing is that its much safer and doesn't injure the squirrel.

Dang they're cute, but they can sure cause problems inside a house.

Also - Airsoft Guns and Ammo are very inexpensive. And its fun to play with them too, since they are essentially toys.

SkyHog said:
A pellet gun could possibly kill him, and it sounds like you don't want that. Airsoft shoots 6mm plastic BBs, and I've shot and been shot by them many times.
Dang they're cute, but they can sure cause problems inside a house.
Thanks for the suggestion Nick. And thanks everyone else (you too Steve :D ).

Did he ever leave last night or is he still claiming squatters rights?

I've used a water spray and it always works. They don't like it in the face, and a well-directed stream out of the bottle wife uses to dampen clothes for ironing is not enough to cause a problem with an electrical box. If his foot is caught, that's a major problem.

Also useful in training cats.

fgcason said:
Did he ever leave last night or is he still claiming squatters rights?
Well, Frank, I'm not sure where he is now. He was still there this morning for several hours, and wouldn't budge. I sat out at the hangar for a few hours visiting with a friend who dropped in to visit in his Cub, and came back and the squirrel was gone! However, one of his friends came out of the house from somewhere overnight and managed his way into the cage trap with the peanut butter cracker earlier today. He will go for a ride out to the lake shortly.

Hopefully, the problem is solved for now. Thanks everyone, for your suggestions!

Darn. Mothballs worked on a skunk under our deck a couple weeks ago.

Can you fit a vacuum cleaner hose back there? Plug it into the outlet of the vacuum so it blows. The theory being the moving air and noise will scare him into retreating. Now just make sure you will not be in his way if this works.

And don't try the gloves routine. Their teeth are very sharp. No, don't ask how I know. Good Luck!

-Skip

Diana said:
Well, Frank, I'm not sure where he is now. He was still there this morning for several hours, and wouldn't budge. I sat out at the hangar for a few hours visiting with a friend who dropped in to visit in his Cub, and came back and the squirrel was gone! However, one of his friends came out of the house from somewhere overnight and managed his way into the cage trap with the peanut butter cracker earlier today. He will go for a ride out to the lake shortly.

Hopefully, the problem is solved for now. Thanks everyone, for your suggestions!

So he's gonna sleep with the fishes, huh? :goofy:

etsisk said:
how did a squirrel get in there,
Tom, that's a good question, and we're still trying to figure that out. At the moment, we're stumped.
etsisk said:
and why did you name it Dave Taylor???
LOL! Tom, I was hoping to get the attention of Dave Taylor in case he was skimming over the titles. I see he hasn't been here for a few days, so I suspect he's out having a great time on a trip somewhere. :)

Dave Taylor is a very knowledgeable vet, and I thought that with his understanding of animal behavior, he might have a solution. Also he is a very kind and gentle soul, and I knew that he would help me find a way to get rid of the squirrel without hurting it if at all possible.

Here's Dave in the back seat (plus Bill Jennings visiting at the door):

Attachments

• Dave.JPG
    Dave.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 35
So Dr. Taylor never answered his page? Hmmm, wonder if he's off on some fine weekend adventure?

fine weekend (flying) adventure? grrrr - no; my internet service was down for most of it and Ive been fuming, more later.
Anyway, delighted to hear I have now have a furry alter ego. Although I had always hoped it would be a more dignified creature....a cougar perhaps? maybe an eagle? Whatever. I know what my friends really think of me now.

About the squirrel. I emailed Diana but apparently I misunderstood the sitch and gave faulty assistance.
Now being apprised of the true 3-D environment, I was thinking, as I read the good responses (some already covered):
a) open the door and leave, it will eventually need to depart, in order to find food etc
b) get a hairdryer (on cool) and from behind it, blow it towards the exit. The noise and air will aggravate it and it will depart but it needs a clear path to the door - and the dryer pushing it along. You can drop it down from above if it is in a gap somewhere.
c) make a snare pole... a 4' stick with a loop of rope on the end, one end fixed and the other end in your hand (they sell large versions for Animal Control). Snare some bodily part and drag him outside then release, shouting the usual things you shout to unwanted guests as they leave.
d) get out your flute and start hiking along.

Let'sgoflying! said:
fine weekend (flying) adventure? grrrr - no; my internet service was down for most of it and Ive been fuming, more later.
And here we thought you were out flying around somewhere having a grand time. :yes:

Let'sgoflying! said:
c) make a snare pole... a 4' stick with a loop of rope on the end, one end fixed and the other end in your hand (they sell large versions for Animal Control). Snare some bodily part and drag him outside then release, shouting the usual things you shout to unwanted guests as they leave.
I wondered about trying to rig up some kind of snare, and may do something like that if it happens again.

Let'sgoflying! said:
d) get out your flute and start hiking along.
LOL! If I were to get out my old clarinet from high school, perhaps that would have made him leave sooner.

Thanks Dave. He *appears* to be gone now. At least now I know what to try if he shows up again.

Let'sgoflying! said:
Anyway, delighted to hear I have now have a furry alter ego. Although I had always hoped it would be a more dignified creature....a cougar perhaps? maybe an eagle? Whatever. I know what my friends really think of me now.
Now THAT'S funny! A squirrel named Dave! Long time ago, I knew a racoon named Rocky...came out of the Black mining hills of Dakota... somebody oughta right a song about that boy!

Back