Some lowlife shot my sister's horse.

What Ted said.

Walk the talk! :D

Gary

Hey -- I said mine was best -- that don't mean it's free, bub.:nono:

But it would make sense to let everyone sample this exquisite deliciousness.

:D

Anyway .. this BBQ talk is in the wrong thread. Since we just let two horses go, the OP still bugs me. I'd give up BBQ in a heartbeat to find the preps and turn them into mincemeat.

JOOC, Henning, where in the state were you? There's a lot of Texas to choose from.

By way of returning to the original post topic (sorta), I would not be at all surprised to find that the perpetrator of this foul deed was not from Texas, anyway. Sucking or not, there are a whole lot of people moving here everyday...

80% of humanity is stupid....:p

It happens more often then you'd think. Horses, cows, dogs, cats, puppies, and kittens - if you live in a rural setting anywhere, you'll sooner or later find deliberately injured ones. I never came across anyone doing it, but from the time I started driving I had a breaker bar with me, and it wasn't for changing tires.

I'm sorry for your sister and the horse. A horse is every bit as much a companion as a dog.

Our place and the surrounding 72,000 acres (we were nestled in the middle of two big ranches we posted "No Hunting/No Trespassing" to protect a mountain lion that lived there (we all gave up only a few head of livestock a year to it and all agreed that it was worth it to see her/him around every now and then, beautiful creature. She used to lay and bask on a rock at the top of our property occasionally) even had pink topped t-posts. When my ex would see anyone walking around with guns, she'd start shooting at them, and she was good with her 30/30 Winchester.

It happens more often then you'd think. Horses, cows, dogs, cats, puppies, and kittens - if you live in a rural setting anywhere, you'll sooner or later find deliberately injured ones. I never came across anyone doing it, but from the time I started driving I had a breaker bar with me, and it wasn't for changing tires.

I'm sorry for your sister and the horse. A horse is every bit as much a companion as a dog.

And people. Remember the guy who shot a woman in her own yard... and raised a defense that "she wasn't wearing Orange"...

My father-in-law managed 8,000 acres in Alabama for many years when I was younger. Many times we found liters of cats or dogs that had been dropped by thie side of the road on our property. I guess folks never guessed what would happen to them.
The worst offense was when Dad and I were riding one day and came up on a truck with trailer that had horses and dogs. They guy had driven down the road passed all the signage stating it was private and NO TRESPASSPNG. He was backing a horse out to hunt behind a dog.

Dad and I were both armed, although, we never had to really confront the fella. We just told him we were the land owners and to put his horse up and wait for the sheriff. After a short time, the sheriff deputized Dad on the phone and Dad drove him into town to be cited.

Couldn't believe it!! Truck, trailer two horses and several dogs. Said he didn't have anywhere else to go where there were birds.

Best,

Dave

And people. Remember the guy who shot a woman in her own yard... and raised a defense that "she wasn't wearing Orange"...
That was in Hampden, ME in 1987. The hunter saw a glimpse of something move, and shot it. It was right between the shoulder blades of a mother of two one year old twins, on her back deck in Maine.

The husband moved to Michigan and took a half time job as a clinical psychologist. The hunter's State farm paid $100,000 and he was otherwise judgement proof.

Maine still has no bonding law for a hunting license. I guess it's your right to shoot.

I hate hearing stories of abuse like this. There had better be a special kind of hell for people who do things like this. There's no punishment law or man can do that makes up for it.

My sympathies to your sister.

Bruce:

You beat me to the punch. The moment I saw Bill Suffa's post I recognized the Hampden tragedy. The populace was up-in-arms about the circumstances. So sad.

HR

A horse is every bit as much a companion as a dog.

Well. they don't housebreak too good. But you can't jump a 4 foot fence riding a dog either. They both have soft noses, though.
To my way of thinking, they go best in pairs.

Lance, my condolences to your sister. If she's able, she ought to get another. Lots of good horses out there people can no longer afford to keep.

Well. they don't housebreak too good. But you can't jump a 4 foot fence riding a dog either. They both have soft noses, though.

Lance, my condolences to your sister. If she's able, she ought to get another. Lots of good horses out there people can no longer afford to keep.

Thanks everyone for the sympathy. Fortunately my sister has another horse that she's been training so she's not "horseless". The one that was shot has been with her for as long as I can remember but she "retired" a year ago.

I woke up one morning, walked into the kitchen and there was my horse with his head in the fridge eating a bag of apples I had bought the previous day...:rofl::rofl::rofl: Horses smell a damned sight better than dogs too, actually, I'd be hard pressed to name a smell I like better than the smell of a horse... maybe a girl who just got off a horse...;)

I hope they catch them too. But isn't the reality that there is a slim to none chance of that? Unless more horses are shot this way I doubt that there are enough law enforcement resources available to investigate this case.

It'll come down to one scuzball ratting out another one. They'll brag about it to a buddy who will get arrested for some other fool thing and be dying to try to trade info for a pass on something.

It'll come down to one scuzball ratting out another one. They'll brag about it to a buddy who will get arrested for some other fool thing and be dying to try to trade info for a pass on something.

The saving grace is that, although, maybe they won't get locked up for this, they will eventually get locked up. You can't be screwed up enough to shoot a horse without not winding up in jail at some point in your life.

Then, while strutting around in jail remembering how tough they are ( what with shooting defenseless horses and all), that they meet a real tough guy that happens to think they're rather cute. Then it dawns on them, the real tough guy isn't a pasture away, they don't have they're shotgun, and the real tough guy has toothbrush handle melted to a nice sharp point.

Within two weeks, the pretend tough guy is wearing lipstick made out of Kool-Aid, tying his shirt in a knot at the waist, and cleaning the real tough guy's cell.

At least, one can only hope.

Mike

I woke up one morning, walked into the kitchen and there was my horse with his head in the fridge eating a bag of apples I had bought the previous day...:rofl::rofl::rofl: Horses smell a damned sight better than dogs too, actually, I'd be hard pressed to name a smell I like better than the smell of a horse... maybe a girl who just got off a horse...;)

:rofl:

I love the smell of horses, too, as well as the look. They're such graceful creatures.

However few smells are as comforting to me as the smell of my dog. He must think the same about me seeing as he keeps on coming up and sniffing me. ;)

My dog seems most comforted by the smell of my other dog's a$$. Condolences to the bereaved, pet poachers suck almost as much as the non-pilot population of the Lone Star State. I hope it was injured, those things (horses) are expensive!

Back