So you think you can land in a crosswind?

Wow! Any idea what the crosswind component was? They did not kick out the crab completely. The side loading on gear looked incredible.

Geez. What was the crosswind on that last one, 100 KNOTS at 90 degrees?

BobS said:
Wow! Any idea what the crosswind component was? They did not kick out the crab completely. The side loading on gear looked incredible.

No idea... I think the truck (the wheel carriage assembly) articulates to match the plane's track on the ground. The gear assembly stays fixed on the 777, but I think the wheel truck will pivot. Trying to confirm with my 777 pilot friend. Or, Greg B. can tell us.

Troy Whistman said:
No idea... I think the truck (the wheel carriage assembly) articulates to match the plane's track on the ground. The gear assembly stays fixed on the 777, but I think the wheel truck will pivot.

I was wrong! (Not the first time, definitely not the last)

Stan Bissell said:
As you know, there are situations where you can't take out all the
crosswind by cross-controlling because you will drag an engine nacelle
(you've seen those Hong Kong pictures). In those cases the tires and the
landing gear have to absorb the side loads until you can bring the nose
around. No, there are no articulating parts to the landing gear. That's
why it's so beefy.

Fortunately I've never experienced a crosswind that strong in a large
aircraft, only in a 172 once.

Troy Whistman said:
I was wrong! (Not the first time, definitely not the last)

Nice films, thanks.
Does any body know what the wing & power loading values are on the 777 ?

From my 777 pilot friend:

Check out this video. No, there was no crosswind. He just messed up the approach and was trying to correct back to the runway. Also he didn't scrape the tail, as suggested by the "expert."

http://www.kvvu.com/global/video/po...&activePane=info&playerVersion=1&rnd=74503874

Interesting side note: the guy who took this video was out making a movie and happened to catch this particular incident. He then sent the video to AA and suggested that AA could buy exclusive rights. Can we say "blackmail"? AA declined, so he sent it to the news organizations.

This link didn't work for me from Firefox, but did in IE.

mikea said:
Geez. What was the crosswind on that last one, 100 KNOTS at 90 degrees?

Incredible angle - did you see the rudder work going on ?

Obviously some Boeing test footage, but the pressure that the pilot must be under on that sort of approach must be immense !

Dave Krall CFII said:
Nice films, thanks.
Does any body know what the wing & power loading values are on the 777 ?

He tells me it isn't in their flight manuals, but the data is probably on the Boeing site somewhere. I couldn't find it with a quick Google search. Just a reference to "low wing loading" for the 777 when I searched with:

"wing loading" 777 site:boeing.com

Notice how the guys with the cameras are on the upwind side of the runway?
BUT based on that last one though, upwind isn't necessarily the safest side of that runway.

I wonder if those pilots would like to give me a refresher course in xwind landings.

Holy cr@p! That blows me away (and I really wonder what some of those winds were!).

The link wouldn't work for me in AOL either, but I was able to save it to my hard drive through IE.

And on the crabbed truck thing, perhaps you were thinking of the B-52 Bomber? The gear on that plane will crab up to either 15 or 20 degrees (I think one of those numbers is correct, I know the fact it does it is).

Holy zephyr, Batman! Wow! Now we need someone who speaks Portugese (?) to translate the captions.

I would do crosswind training with those pilots any day. :)

terry

SJP said:
Incredible angle - did you see the rudder work going on ?

Obviously some Boeing test footage, but the pressure that the pilot must be under on that sort of approach must be immense !
Yep. The Maximum Demonstrated Crosswind Component that goes in the Operating Handbook is the Maximum that was Demonstrated so the aircraft manufacturer wants the winds on the day when crosswind landings are Demonstrated by the test pilot to be at the Maximum. One or more of those guys alongside the runway probably work for the FAA.

Some of us get the limitation in the POH because they couldn't find strong enough winds for the test pilot to demonstrate with. If we try to land with a stronger one we become the test pilots.

Last edited:
Interesting. The thing that really made it work for me was the, um, music. :eek:

Are you kidding me? And I have trouble chewing gum and walking at the same time. :rofl:

Dakota Duce

"May All Your Flights Be Of Good Weather!"

Asked my son to give a try on the translation. Here is his reply.

That’s incredible... Here is what I came up with, not 100% but close. That, surprisingly, was easier than anything I did in Urdu, I didn’t even use a dictionary. I’ll forward to one of our Portuguese ops and see what he says.

nao sao todos os dias que encontramos ventos calmos
que fazer nestas situacoes?
Voe
Volte a epoca de aeroclube
Lembre-se de seus intrutores
E faca um pouso seguro
Estes pilotos certamente voaram aeronaves convencionais
Aprenda com os melhores

We can’t have calm winds everyday,
And when we face these situations?
Fly
Fly on an epic of aeroclub
Remember your instuctions
And achieve a sure place
These pilots certainly fly conventional aircraft
Learn from their superiorities

Any ideas where this was filmed at? I wondering if its Moses Lake, WA. Boeing does a lot of stuff out there and with the wind they routinely get, and all the runways there, it wouldnt be difficult to pick a runway with a nasty x-wind. Terrain sure fits. Flat, desert like, with hills in the background.

Richard said:
I'm back and Frank gets to be my first target. Frank, that's the infamous Checkerboard Approach at Hong Kong. Assuming that is a 15 Kt windsock in the vid you'll see it's indicating a <5 Kt wind. Certainly doesn't fit the bill of xwind landing.

I wondered about that windsock too. If it's less than 5kts though, at the end it looks like it's yawing back away from centerline after touchdown. If so, that has to be >>5kts. There are other videos and images of that same approach (I don't have the links right now) where the xwind there is very nasty.

DeeG said:
Any ideas where this was filmed at? I wondering if its Moses Lake, WA. Boeing does a lot of stuff out there and with the wind they routinely get, and all the runways there, it wouldnt be difficult to pick a runway with a nasty x-wind. Terrain sure fits. Flat, desert like, with hills in the background.

Sure looks right. And it is a Boeing plane. Looks like the 777 test flights to me.

Steve said:
Speaking of landings, I found a video of Eamon on the job....:rofl:

Looked about right till 50 ft from the ground. :) :) :)

Looks llke he got too slow & couldn't get the engines to spool back up. Ouch!

fgcason said:
I wondered about that windsock too. If it's less than 5kts though, at the end it looks like it's yawing back away from centerline after touchdown. If so, that has to be >>5kts. There are other videos and images of that same approach (I don't have the links right now) where the xwind there is very nasty.
I've talked to some guys who used to fly that approach (I beleive it has been done away with.... new airport?) and it was always "interesting", wind or no wind. They could look UP at some of the apartments. Seems they almost flew between buildings if I recall correctly, and there was a considerable bit of maneuvering required on short final. I think the yawing you are seeing is predominantly a result of those maneuvers. Awesome video, had it saved on the hard drive for a couple of years......

T Bone said:
I've talked to some guys who used to fly that approach (I beleive it has been done away with.... new airport

Kai Tak has been closed for a half dozen years now

Back