RGL-DRS - ADs - I hate the alphabet.

Magman

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Magman
Some of you may be aware that the FAA/RGL website used to access Airworthiness Directives has been shut down. The replacement source for this is the DRS ( Dynamic Regulatory System). This problem for me is finding applicable ADs for a particular make of aircraft.

A search for Piper PA-28-150 comes up with 1283 items. There are really “ only” about 30 ADs on the aircraft . Engine, Prop, mags etc also have ADs.

My meager computer skills did allow me to find the Bi-weekly updates.

Help!

Thanks for posting this! I’m trying to figure out how to use the new system. Not happy about change:)

Not happy about change
Ha. Well being its from the low bidder its not "that bad." At least now all the databases are in one spot vs across a number of different platforms. Fortunately I don't need to earn a living off this new quagmire. Hope you enjoy it.:)

Last edited:
So far the bi-weekly’s seem easy to use. I’m wondering if the DRS will enable search of a prior version of an AD?

Let’s say the log entry says compliance was with rev 1 and current version of AD is rev 3. I know of situations where finding out what was done per rev 1 could not be determined. That’s why I save my old, paper versions.

I’m wondering if the DRS will enable search of a prior version of an AD?
If you look in the "final rule" instruction link above in item 3, it states historical ADs can be searched by changing the "status" filter block. Now whether the DRS provides additional search criteria by revision/supercede number like the RGL did under the "historical" search menu I don't know. Never really looked for prior revisions only current.

There may be capabilities built into a system that people do not know how to access. My bro went through this ; with a mag IIRC. FSDO folks didn’t know either.

Egads that site sucks. For trivia's sake it looks like there are 16,275 AD's starting with 41-47-01 for the DC3 and it's a single sentence long.
Aside from being extremely difficult to navigate I found the test search results I did to be flawed and incomplete. Click on the feedback link and let them know how you feel.
My suggestion was to recommission the old RGL site until they can get a replacement that works.

EDIT: Okay, I went back and played around some more. If you are looking for AD's on a Cessna you have to also include Textron Aviation in the filter or you'll only get AD's up to 2011. Or you can leave Manufacturer blank and just put 180 under Model. Once you get the list you can save it and you'll get a nice Excel sheet with all of them on it so I can probably learn to live with it

Last edited:
Back