Regret not having VOR ability if new plane has GNX 375 instead of GTN 650?

Reality check: I haven't used a VOR for navigation outside a flight review or IPC in 20 years. I have flown some ILS procedures, but could have declined those in favor of a similar GPS approach. I'm in the northeast near Fort Drum, where there are occasional GPS outages, but have never experienced any significant disruption. If you have a NAV unit already, I would keep it as a secondary, emergency unit for flying LOC or ILS procedures, or navigating by VOR. However, in some parts of the country (like the NE) VORs are dropping like flies as we lurch toward the MON. There have been maybe a half-dozen VORs decommissioned or declared out of service (some permanently) in my immediate area, so there is not much to navigate by VOR these days near the home field. I made one IFR trip during which only one VOR along my planned route was still commissioned or working. That trip was either GPS or radar vectors, because there were no usable airways using VOR alone. GPS direct is nicer, anyway, and you can often get it away from major hubs.

I struggled with this. I have dual g5s and a g175. I have Icomm radios. Decided to refurbish the Narco Nav 122 that was in the panel. It’s and ILS in the box with vor. GS, marker beacons and radio all in one

There was a thread about that. I don't recall if it has the most recent information.

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...roach-of-any-kind-and-will-it-get-one.123690/

Post 2 of that reason, Reason 2 of the post, is the most common answer to the question "why doesn't XXX have a YYY procedure?"

I have no background on the VNY case, but in general terms, procedure development must be requested by somebody. It may be ATC at some airport, but often it's the airport manager. If nobody requests an approach (or departure), one doesn't get built.

In my new corporate job, we fly ILS more than GPS approaches.

If ILS is in use at a field, anyone know if ATC typically realizes a plane is GPS equipped only or does that plane have to advise ATC and request a GPS?

If ILS is in use at a field, anyone know if ATC typically realizes a plane is GPS equipped only or does that plane have to advise ATC and request a GPS?

Typically you'll have to request it - they assume if you have WAAS you also have an ILS, though it's not required below 6000#.

Just an idea. Take a look at VAL. www.valavionics.com. The Nav 2000 is stand alone, the 2KR plugs into your glass. Around $1500.

I posted nearly the same question a while back. My 182 has a Dynon HDX 10 with a GNC355 in addition to the Dynon non-certified GPS. I decided to install a used GTN750 in place of the GNC355. I'm having it installed along with the Dynon Autopilot, hopefully, in a couple or weeks. I'll be selling the GNC355.

I've spent a lot of time figuring out what I wanted to do. I've debated selling my 182 and getting something faster. I think I'll hold onto it for a couple of more years, build hours, and get my IFR ticket. By then my boys might not be as big of a factor in my load/interior space equation and other planes might fit the bill.

Why did I decide to do the switch? Well, I wanted to train and test IFR in my own plane. Additionally, I wanted to have an alternate to GPS. Another big factor, for me, was the bigger screen of the 750. Is it worth it? Only you can answer that question.

How about making your 182 faster? Paging @NordicDave for a breakdown of turbonormalization.

I would love TN. I'm thinking about adding the Knots2U or even sticking the stock wheel pants back on. I've looked at the Forced Aeromotive supercharger..

Other than speed I really don't have a reason to get rid of my 182. It's got a great panel and I'm getting the kinks worked out in the first annual.

Last edited:
Back