Reduced ATC hours of operation for KFUL.

bluesideup

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
bluesideup
Hi everyone.
Due to staffing shortage there will be reduce hours.
Does anyone have additional info?
Will the airport be considered Uncontrolled when no ATC available?...

Last edited:
This happened for months at FFZ.

At 5:01pm when the tower closed the entire place was one big accident waiting to happen. Be careful.

I hate that term "uncontrolled", it is a "non-towered airport" and pilots are expected to follow the rules or "guidance" of the AIM and associated Advisory Circulars for operations at "Non-Towered Airports" and maintain their own self separation and traffic flow.

Of course. I assume you’ve never been to a towered airport after tower closes?
Hi Ryan.
It is Not a typical after Tower closes. This is temporary and I find no Notams.
Do you have any additional info, or just talk in general?

Hi Ryan.
It doesn’t matter if it’s temporary or permanent, the same procedures apply. When the tower closes up, the airport reverts back to being a non-towered field.

Hi Ryan.
I am ASSuming you have no additional information?
What are the hours?....

Hi Ryan.
What are the hours?....
I do not, I’m just speaking in a general sense on how procedures work in a situation like this.

Hi Ryan.
What are the hours?....
Where did you hear that the hours are changing? I didn't find anything in the NOTAMs or a quick search online. Wherever you heard this, that's the place to ask for the hours.

It's currently open from 7 AM to 9 PM. So after 9 PM until 7 AM, it's uncontrolled. If they reduce hours, say, to 7AM to 5 PM, then whatever you do now at 9:01 PM will be the same thing you do then at 5:01 PM. It's no different, most towers are only open part-time, and the rest of the day they are uncontrolled.

I didn't find anything in the NOTAMs or a quick search online.
Hi.
Some of the local pilots are saying, got notices but no NOTAM and the reason I posted, maybe someone has direct info.

The times I've flown to an airport with reduced hours, they said so on the ATIS.

Does that qualify as "additional info"?

From email sent from FUL airport management on 5/7/2024-

From Christopher Cooper,
Air Traffic Manager

The modified ATC coverage will be the following:

Sunday 0700-1430
Monday 0700-1430
Tuesday 0700-2100
Wednesday 0700-2100
Thursday 0700-2100
Friday 0700-1430
Saturday 0700-1430

ATC Zero for staffing will be in effect Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday from 1430-2100 and to cover required breaks during the days of reduced staffing. Additionally, pattern services and practice approaches may not be available or reduced during the reduced hours to prevent controller fatigue. This will be UFN. The goal is to certify our current trainee and then resume normal hours as soon as possible. The goal is to have 4 certified controllers to support Airport Day. Please pass on my deepest appreciation for everyone’s support and patience during this period.

Regards,

Christopher Cooper,
Air Traffic Manager
Fullerton FCT - FUL
Tel: 714-525-1623

Last edited:
Back