PSI testing question - ID

I was in the Air Force stationed in Kansas, and purchased a car and registered it there. Kansas law required me to have a Kansas driver license. I also had a vehicle with a Wisconsin license plate and had a Wisconsin driver license.

Home on leave, I went to renew my Wisconsin driver license. One of the questions on the renewal was "Do you possess a current driver license from another state? If yes, which state?"

I answered honestly, and the clerk then asked me to surrender my Kansas license. But I said I need that, because I live in Kansas and one of our vehicles is registered there. The clerk's response: "You should have lied."

He then told me that I could operate in Wisconsin on an expired driver license as long as I was on active duty.
Active US military are exempt from most state registration and operator license transfer requirements.

If the your picture ID doesn’t include an address (like a passport) then there are several other ways to prove your address including a utility bill. The FAA testing matrix (https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/testing_matrix) explains exactly what is acceptable. The attached picture is page 4 of that document and lists different items that you can use for proof of residence.
This was the correct answer. The young lady at the counter gave me a confused look at first, then pulled out a book of work instructions and got it into their system.

Hurdle cleared - thank you!

Passport + Pilot license (has address)
DONE

Student pilot license is acceptable too. There is also a matrix of your options as well.

I think Illinois you just tell them it’s out of state and they waive it.
Texas too. And has a specific exemption for full-time students. You just get it inspected when you bring it back to the state.

Back