Protecting My Avionic

douglas393

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
douglas
I have a Cessna T206H. The avionics brains, and air conditioner are located in the tail section of the plane and are "protected" by a flismy, ill fitting piece of plastic. This is okay if I do not have anything substantial in the "cargo area" of the plane. Anything more and the plastic barrier gets pushed in. I asked my mechanic about reinforcing the barrier but he has not come up with any ideas. I was thinking about placing a piece of plywood backing behind the plastic and then placing a second cross bar across the opening(there is one about 3/4 up from the bottom of the fuselage, but not sure whether this will work and will I need to do new weight and balances, etc. Looking for thoughts.

Looking for thoughts.
I think you'd be time and money ahead if you simply invest or have mfg'd one or several different cargo nets or blankets that will utilize the existing cargo tiedowns and secure any baggage you put there. If you need to over-stuff that area with baggage then I'd develop a cargo basket/box that would be considered loose equipment and over stuff the box. Either method will keep items off the plastic divider you currently have and prevent issues with the avionics or A/C.

I think you'd be time and money ahead if you simply invest or have mfg'd one or several different cargo nets or blankets that will utilize the existing cargo tiedowns and secure any baggage you put there. If you need to over-stuff that area with baggage then I'd develop a cargo basket/box that would be considered loose equipment and over stuff the box. Either method will keep items off the plastic divider you currently have and prevent issues with the avionics or A/C.
Interesting thought. I will check online to what is available. Not really overstuffing the cargo area. I have two foldable bikes(30 lbs a piece) which fold into fairly small profile,36"X28"X12"). They actually did not move at all, just concerned if they do. I just would think in a plane that is designed the way the 206 is that the divider would be a bit more substantial than it is and would be secured by something more than velcro, especially considering the crucial not to mention expensive real estate it is protecting. I have been concerned about it ever since I purchased the plane a year ago, just never used it to travel with the bikes before this weekend.

From 206H flight manual:

It will be necessary to properly secure cargo loads before flight. To supplement the standard "D" rings provided for tie-down, additional "D" rings are available from any Cessna Dealer. If more tie-down points are needed, the shoulder harness attaching points may be used. Rope, strap, or cable used for tie-down should be rated at a minimum of ten times the load weight capacity of the tie- down fittings used.

From 206H flight manual:

It will be necessary to properly secure cargo loads before flight. To supplement the standard "D" rings provided for tie-down, additional "D" rings are available from any Cessna Dealer. If more tie-down points are needed, the shoulder harness attaching points may be used. Rope, strap, or cable used for tie-down should be rated at a minimum of ten times the load weight capacity of the tie- down fittings used.
The bikes were tied down and quite secure, but I am a true believer in Murphy's Law and just am wondering if there is something that would be more substantial to protect the vital components from inadvertent damage. The rear cargo panel is quite flimsy and is ill fitting, and does not seem very secure. The vast majority of my flights are with nothing in the cargo area. Just wondering if there is something better than the flimsy cargo panel or if there is a legitimate way of reinforcing it to provided added security. I am very much a belt and suspenders guy when it comes to my plane, flying, and certainly protecting my avionics.

I just would think in a plane that is designed the way the 206 is that the divider would be a bit more substantial than it is and would be secured by something more than velcro, especially considering the crucial not to mention expensive real estate it is protecting.
The divider was only intended to be a dust cover... or to keep your pet cat out of the controls in some cases. :rolleyes: The "expensive real estate" has always been protected by the cargo tiedowns.
I will check online to what is available.
Better yet take some pics with the bikes lashed down in the cargo area and post them. Might be able to add to your current set-up. Belts and suspenders can be one solution but over thinking a situation can also lead to their own issues as well.

The divider was only intended to be a dust cover... or to keep your pet cat out of the controls in some cases. :rolleyes: The "expensive real estate" has always been protected by the cargo tiedowns.

Better yet take some pics with the bikes lashed down in the cargo area and post them. Might be able to add to your current set-up. Belts and suspenders can be one solution but over thinking a situation can also lead to their own issues as well.
Well it seems to do that cause there is no dust back there.

As far as the pictures will supply some when I next fly with the bikes, probably next month or so given my schedule.

Guess the best I can do at this point is keep things the way they are. Looked on line for cargo nets, and there are a number available but the tie downs I already use seem to be just as good. Thanks for the help.

Back