Perfect flight Today - Just wanted to share

retailguy

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
retailguy
Today kind of epitomizes why I became a pilot.

All it was, was a lunch run, but what a great day.

My youngest - age 17 - was off school. I took a half day vacation, we jumped in the baron, headed to Waco, got the crew car, headed out for a simple burger and o/r... Just the two of us.

Perfect flight up, and back, great day, not too hot, two greaser landings, and some good time with her alone.

Special day. Thanks for letting me share.:yes:

Took a friend from the west coast of Fla to the east coast,for a family matter. On the way back stopped at ocochbee for breakfast ,then onto Sarasota,great day.

My youngest - age 17 - was off school. I took a half day vacation, we jumped in the baron, headed to Waco, got the crew car, headed out for a simple burger and o/r... Just the two of us.

Perfect flight up, and back, great day, not too hot, two greaser landings, and some good time with her alone.

Very cool.

Sounds like a blast! I haven't been back to Waco since Dublin stopped making Dr Pepper, unfortunately.

Glad to hear. One of the more uplifting posts on this board.

Sounds like a great day. Where'd you go in Waco?

I had been teasing her all day that I was taking her to the Shell station for snacks because she deserved the best. When I drove up to the Shell station in China Spring she was puzzled.

Those of you who are locals will know I took her to Griffs Grill. It's about 7 miles from KACT, and is literally located inside the Shell gas station.

Here's an article that talks about it....

http://www.wacotrib.com/waco_today_...cle_b03d5257-e971-5068-a352-362c2fae6fcc.html

I'm always looking for some out of the way place, and I like this one. It's not at all fancy but the food is good, the people are nice, and it's always packed full of local people.

Glad you had a great trip. How's the weather in Houston?
I went to pick up my ol' Cherokee after an annual last night, it was an awesome day, nice and warm, sunny, 99F, simply great for flying (and taking a shower in your own sweat). :D
But on the way back, she flew like a dream, just before sunset, no bumps, nothing, smooth as glass. It was a great day to fly for sure. (now if only I could pull the sunset picture from my phone and post it here, it would be good)

I had been teasing her all day that I was taking her to the Shell station for snacks because she deserved the best. When I drove up to the Shell station in China Spring she was puzzled.

Those of you who are locals will know I took her to Griffs Grill. It's about 7 miles from KACT, and is literally located inside the Shell gas station.

Here's an article that talks about it....

http://www.wacotrib.com/waco_today_...cle_b03d5257-e971-5068-a352-362c2fae6fcc.html

I'm always looking for some out of the way place, and I like this one. It's not at all fancy but the food is good, the people are nice, and it's always packed full of local people.

There is a REAL good $500 burger in the middle of nowhere, CA, at a gas station. http://www.whoanelliedeli.com It's even walking distance from the local airport! Watch the density altitude, though. It's at 6800 feet and is only 4000 feet long.

You went to Baylor and didn't get a Gut Pak? Vitek's isn't the dump it used to be, but it sure is close in.

Last edited:
There is a REAL good $500 burger in the middle of nowhere, CA, at a gas station. http://www.whoanelliedeli.com It's even walking distance from the local airport! Watch the density altitude, though. It's at 6800 feet and is only 4000 feet long.

You went to Baylor and didn't get a Gut Pak? Vitek's isn't the dump it used to be, but it sure is close in.

That place in CA would become my favorite. I can never get enough of those types of things.

I can't eat at Vitek's anymore. The gut pack would likely kill me. I would seriously not want to fly after eating that. :D My daughter would've enjoyed it very much. Maybe I'll do that next time.

We do spend a fair amount of time in Lockhart eating Blacks, Smitty's and Kruetz's though. I do have to be careful what I eat, but Black's smoked turkey cannot be beat.... I've put lots of diesel in the White Excursion crew car!

Glad you had a great trip. How's the weather in Houston?
I went to pick up my ol' Cherokee after an annual last night, it was an awesome day, nice and warm, sunny, 99F, simply great for flying (and taking a shower in your own sweat). :D
But on the way back, she flew like a dream, just before sunset, no bumps, nothing, smooth as glass. It was a great day to fly for sure. (now if only I could pull the sunset picture from my phone and post it here, it would be good)

Starting to cool a bit as it usually does this time of the year. Still in the 90's but not as humid.

The secret to Houston summer flying is two-fold. Get a good swamp cooler, and get up high. I fly at 10k in the summer as much as I can.

We were perfectly comfortable at 5500 yesterday. But yeah, you do get used to sweating through your shirt. Pretty normal, unfortunately...:yes:

I went up today with the temps in the upper 80's but it wasn't too bad once up in the air. I was never above 2Kft but the 172 vents were adequate enough. Not a ton of traffic after 5pm despite the CAVU conditions and zero wind. It made the landings easy to grease. Perfect day for flying if you don't mind it being a tad warm. Dusk flying would be ideal.

Back