New App Ideas?

cocolos

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
cocolos
I'm bored and I need a project to work on. Some of my ideas included an app to pop up during different phases of flight to show checklists via smartwatch. An app to debrief your flights by recording gps and audio and being able to type out a discussion of the flight along with pics...

Any thoughts on these or suggestions?

I asked this here before, but one app that would be GREAT that no one has made yet would be a alternate finder.

Enter your destination and origin

Enter your alternate requirements (pt 91, pt 135, jr capt, etc), desired IAP type (ILS, VOR, RNAV, WAAS, etc)

Enter your aircraft parameters (speed, fuel burn, number of engines)

The program checks the TAFs and IAPs, spits up the nearest working alternate, and time and fuel required with reserve.

How about a digital version of the old cessna power computers?

"when to begin descent" calculator

Enter current altitude, current KIAS or Groundspeed, target altitude, maybe current distance from destination, and desired vertical speed.

Answer is in form of distance from airport, and maybe a count down timer from when the calculation is done. When it goes ping or vibrates or flashes at you, reduce power and descend.

Not an aviation app but one that would help a lot of people and probably make some money.

How about an app to work with a moderately priced watch in which you could load multiple alarms to go off at preset times daily showing a message to take your meds and a list of meds to take at that time. My wife drives me nuts forgetting to take her meds. Since she has a history of a stroke and now has very high blood pressure if she does not take the meds it could really be the difference between life and death, especially since if it keeps up I may murder her. Honestly this is something which would be a great help to many people.

Enter current altitude, current KIAS or Groundspeed, target altitude, maybe current distance from destination, and desired vertical speed.

Answer is in form of distance from airport, and maybe a count down timer from when the calculation is done. When it goes ping or vibrates or flashes at you, reduce power and descend.

Already out there.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=karson.app.AviationCalc&hl=en

An app that would show currently operating restaurants ON THE FIELD. I'd pay a buck or two for that.

Last edited:
Maybe this already exists, but I would like an Android app that recorded my flights with a single button push, that could then be EASILY (one button!) overlaid on a Google Earth map.

The resulting flight path map file should then be converted into some sort of link that you could open on your PC or tablet, for viewing.

I would also like to be able to easily view my flight path from all angles. I think this is a Google Earth function.

The option to overlay it on a sectional chart would be sweet, too.

Not an aviation app but one that would help a lot of people and probably make some money.

How about an app to work with a moderately priced watch in which you could load multiple alarms to go off at preset times daily showing a message to take your meds and a list of meds to take at that time.

This is a pretty good idea.

I've looked before and there surprisingly doesn't appear to be an app on the market for flight/aircraft scheduling, at least on Android. There are a number of good quality flight scheduling programs online for free but they kind of look like garbage and are generally awkward. I figure a clean mobile app for aircraft reservations would be cool and there'd be a small market for it with flight schools and clubs.

...and for users of iThingies?

There's gotta be one. Even if it's buried inside another app that does not specifically say that's what it's for.

The calculations are pretty simple.

Or you can just use the old times 3 method. You're at 8,000, you need to be at 1400 pattern altitude. 6600X3=19800. Start your decent 19.8 miles out.

+1 to a scheduler.

To build on the idea, make it something like MyFlightBook that is cloud based and multi-platform.

Feature ideas:
  • Easy to reserve, change, delete schedules
  • Easy to add an "if other member cancels, notify me" alert.
  • Ability to log usage, record tach/hobbs, for billing and time based mx needs (oil changes, AD compliance)
  • Alerts sent to mx officer when time based mx is drawing near
  • Ability to communicate squawks

Likely other ideas, but this is a good start.

Garmin 496 has this

How about an app that displays "fly the airplane" for ten seconds and then turns the toy off?

I'll probably start with iOS version of whatever i'm building, then Android. I should start during the weekend. I'll give it some thought as to what to make and how it would run.

Any volunteers for alpha version on iOS? I know it's early but as long as work doesn't keep me too busy it would take make a couple of weeks to get something out.

I'd like an app that records audio and GPS simultaneously using some kind of file format that keeps the timing between the two paired. Ideally, the audio track would crop out areas of silence so that internally it's not one long recording, but individual bytes that are attached to the timeline.

The ultimate goal is to be able to layer it over video I record (like from a GoPro), and end up with on-screen-display (things on the video like speed, altitude, vario, maybe a minimap)

I'll probably start with iOS version of whatever i'm building, then Android. I should start during the weekend. I'll give it some thought as to what to make and how it would run.

Any volunteers for alpha version on iOS? I know it's early but as long as work doesn't keep me too busy it would take make a couple of weeks to get something out.

I would be happy to be a tester

Sure...I can help.

I'm in :yes:

Not really aviation related but I'd like to see an Android App that would allow selecting no voice roaming for those of us that live near the Mexican or Canadian border. On Verizon anyway there is only an option of no data roaming and phones will jump back and forth between regular and roaming. Very annoying with the dropped calls and roaming fees.

The one made from a metal disk?

No, it's cardboard, and NOT, repeat NOT a metal landing computer...

It's got a Cessna part number, but I'd have to dig it up.

Pilot Wizz already has most of that on this page. Just no timer/alert.

sa2y5e2e.jpg

I'm just waiting for the surgically-implantable version of Android to be released.

-Rich

I forgot to update this. I am working on the airplane scheduling app. I am in the design phase of it. I am trying to keep it lean. I want it to do 1 thing and 1 thing well.

Back