Networking as a Student Pilot

Vortex

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Vortex
One of the tips that I got for aviation job networking was to hang out at small airports. Has it ever been awkward for any of you doing that? Or is that an actual thing that people do?
The local FBO I'm training from has a rather small lobby and I'd be around any pilots from charters that come in, but they're usually only a handful a day, I think. Should I just sit in the lobby and study (I have the Cessna version of the Sporty's ground school), or should I wait until I'm flying more on my own and visiting other airports?

We have a lot of folks who hang out. This morning two guys were playing cribbage at 8:15 when I arrived. A few transient airplanes arrived and departed, there was friendly banter, and a few kids were playing with the two dogs who are at the FBO on weekdays. One local pilot eats lunch there every weekday, and is often joined by a few others. Our manager, the chief pilot, loves to teach and is always discussing some aviation topic with anyone who will listen.

We have a lot of folks who hang out. This morning two guys were playing cribbage at 8:15 when I arrived. A few transient airplanes arrived and departed, there was friendly banter, and a few kids were playing with the two dogs who are at the FBO on weekdays. One local pilot eats lunch there every weekday, and is often joined by a few others. Our manager, the chief pilot, loves to teach and is always discussing some aviation topic with anyone who will listen.
That sounds really awesome, like a great place to hang out. My FBO is simply a flight school and the chief pilot is sometimes around and talking with the instructors, but I guess I feel a bit awkward still being a student and wanting to join in or talk to everyone. Maybe it's the kind of people, maybe I'm just nervous for nothing.

What kind of airport is yours? Is there a bunch of traffic all the time or is it quieter?

I'm still a bit new (15h) so I'm still feeling out the aviation world. Goal is airlines like most, but I don't know anyone personally in my family or friends that I can tag along with, so I'm stuck trying to figure it all out on my own. Loving it so far, though!

Do your studying, and watch for charter pilots to come in, carry luggage to the car, and return. Say Hi to them and ask how the flight went? If they stiff you and keep going, so what. Some will be happy to have someone to kill time with, and will be a real resource.

Do your studying, and watch for charter pilots to come in, carry luggage to the car, and return. Say Hi to them and ask how the flight went? If they stiff you and keep going, so what. Some will be happy to have someone to kill time with, and will be a real resource.
This sounds like a good idea. I'll have to grab my laptop and sit by the entrance for a few hours in the mornings and see how it goes, especially on the days I have to fly. Thanks!

One of the tips that I got for aviation job networking was to hang out at small airports. Has it ever been awkward for any of you doing that? Or is that an actual thing that people do?
The local FBO I'm training from has a rather small lobby and I'd be around any pilots from charters that come in, but they're usually only a handful a day, I think. Should I just sit in the lobby and study (I have the Cessna version of the Sporty's ground school), or should I wait until I'm flying more on my own and visiting other airports?
You aren’t a private pilot yet and want to start networking?

I wouldn't do that. Some people might think you're a stalker or just annoying. If you really want to "network" my advice would be to find a line service job and be the absolute best line service agent out there. On time, friendly, extra careful with the aircraft and chocks, and cheerful. You get paid, you don't (hopefully) seem creepy or a grifter, and people at the airport view you as a hard working individual who'll get things done.

Mechanic's helper, front desk, and aircraft detailer are also jobs that would provide legitimate value while becoming a familiar face.

The other option is just to find the best paying job that you're qualified for off airport and make enough money to pay off your flight training ASAP...

You aren’t a private pilot yet and want to start networking?
Yeah, why not. Figure the earlier the better. No need for commitment now or any pertinent information I could use directly soon, other than training tips etc from other pilots' experiences. That, and opening my view up for other major career paths aside from airlines, if any. All information is good information at this point.

I wouldn't do that. Some people might think you're a stalker or just annoying. If you really want to "network" my advice would be to find a line service job and be the absolute best line service agent out there. On time, friendly, extra careful with the aircraft and chocks, and cheerful. You get paid, you don't (hopefully) seem creepy or a grifter, and people at the airport view you as a hard working individual who'll get things done.

Mechanic's helper, front desk, and aircraft detailer are also jobs that would provide legitimate value while becoming a familiar face.

The other option is just to find the best paying job that you're qualified for off airport and make enough money to pay off your flight training ASAP...
That might be the case. Though my FBO is rather small, from what I've seen the pilots coming in do take the time to stop and talk for a few occasionally, even about weather or NOTAMs. While I was waiting for my instructor this morning, a pilot came in from a long flight and stopped to talk with the front desk and a couple CFIs about the Presidential TFR around the area for tomorrow. I wouldn't go up and bother people, but the room is small enough to listen in and potentially chime in with a quick question or just a hello. Some of them come in only once and others are regulars, and the instructors would probably sit and talk with me as well during their off times. They like to talk a lot in general.

Unfortunately, I have a full-time job at the moment that pays a bit better than the available lineman jobs at that FBO, and nearby seem to not be any better. I've thought about it though, just to get a little discount they offer from training costs.

Last edited:
Yeah, why not. Figure the earlier the better. No need for commitment now or any pertinent information I could use directly soon, other than training tips etc from other pilots' experiences. That, and opening my view up for other major career paths aside from airlines, if any. All information is good information at this point.

That might be the case. Though my FBO is rather small, from what I've seen the pilots coming in do take the time to stop and talk for a few occasionally, even about weather or NOTAMs. While I was waiting for my instructor this morning, a pilot came in from a long flight and stopped to talk with the front desk and a couple CFIs about the Presidential TFR around the area for tomorrow. I wouldn't go up and bother people, but the room is small enough to listen in and potentially chime in with a quick question or just a hello. Some of them come in only once and others are regulars, and the instructors would probably sit and talk with me as well during their off times. They like to talk a lot in general.

Unfortunately, I have a full-time job at the moment that pays a bit better than the available lineman jobs at that FBO, and nearby seem to not be any better. I've thought about it though, just to get a little discount they offer from training costs.
He can get names for LinkedIn I suppose.

Networking without a purpose is a waste. At 15hrs, you’re a long way from employability, so what does this networking do for you? How are you going to use that network to nurture your development? What value do you have to offer those in your network?

I’d be more focused on finding an aviation mentor than trying to build a network at this point in your journey.

Which airport are you talking about?

That sounds really awesome, like a great place to hang out. My FBO is simply a flight school and the chief pilot is sometimes around and talking with the instructors, but I guess I feel a bit awkward still being a student and wanting to join in or talk to everyone. Maybe it's the kind of people, maybe I'm just nervous for nothing.

What kind of airport is yours? Is there a bunch of traffic all the time or is it quieter?
We are a municipal airport in a small city, with a larger airport about ten miles away. No airline service at ours... we have five trainers, six instructors, and we also provide pilots for a local company that owns two jets and three turboprops. Probably about 30 students right now, but it's hard to keep track because some are not very active.

On good weather days and especially weekends, it can be a steady stream of traffic, probably because we are located in the central part of the state.

Networking without a purpose is a waste. At 15hrs, you’re a long way from employability, so what does this networking do for you? How are you going to use that network to nurture your development? What value do you have to offer those in your network?

I’d be more focused on finding an aviation mentor than trying to build a network at this point in your journey.
At this point, any networking I am doing is not targeting employment ventures. Maybe I'm not using the right term, but I'm looking for finding/meeting new people in the aviation industry who I can benefit from connecting with, either in a long run in a professional manner but mainly in the short term now; tips from nearby pilots or simply more learning about the industry from someone in person. An aviation mentor (other than my CFI) would be included in that, I suppose.
Find your nearest local EAA chapter and join it.
I previously looked up flying club information and even asked my flight school, but nobody really knew anything / I couldn't find much nearby if there was anything. EAA does have a chapter that meets at my airport on one Saturday a month though, so I might give that a shot.
Which airport are you talking about?
I'm flying from Peter O'Knight in Tampa (KTPF).

Join FABA and attend their events. Florida Aviation Business Association

Better yet, volunteer your time for their events... i.e. annual golf outing, etc.

I sit on the Board for the GBAA (Georgia Business Aviation Association) and nearly everyone on the Board runs a corporate flight department.

Last edited:
Join FABA and attend their events. Florida Aviation Business Association

Better yet, volunteer your time for their events... i.e. annual golf outing, etc.

I sit on the Board for the GBAA (Georgia Business Aviation Association) and nearly everyone on the Board runs a corporate flight department.
I've never heard of any of those state associations before, pretty interesting. They meet pretty close to me, I'll have to give them a look as well. Thanks for the suggestion! Definitely keep it in mind too as I get farther along.

I'm not great at networking, being a bit introverted. I decided to attend a free FAA Safety Seminar at my local airport on Saturday. I ended up meeting instructors from the local aviation academy and officers and the lead instructor for the flying club I planned to join this summer. I got to pick their brains and found out the flying club is finishing up with their current student and if I want to join it would be best to do it sooner than later so I can slot in as the next student (they only train 1 or 2 at a time).

If you're not great at networking maybe look for a structured event like that. When you get 40 people that care enough about aviation to attend an FAA seminar you're bound to find someone to talk to. ;)

This is where I registered for the event: https://www.faasafety.gov/SPANS/events/EventList.aspx
But I'm sure there are other similar groups and events you can find.

If you're willing hang out at the airport, maybe ask about a part-time fill in type job for line, etc. Make a little money, possibly get the training discount, and be there with a purpose while getting to talk to some pilots, which might remove some of the weirdness.

Also, joining this board was a good small step. If you can navigate the weeds, there's a lot of useful information and great people here.
Even if you don't get much from the board, I'd say you're already 1 step closer to possibly getting a ride around Tampa in a Nanchang ;)

As long as you are sincere and be who you are when interacting with pilots. Don’t come off as an annoying kiss ast. So many young pilots think networking is kiss butt, and one or two interactions will get a recommendation. Networking takes time to establish a bond with someone.

One of the tips that I got for aviation job networking was to hang out at small airports. Has it ever been awkward for any of you doing that? Or is that an actual thing that people do?you'
I've found most schools have a "lounge" area that is great for meeting folks and networking. The CFI's might have some better info as many are looking to get jobs in the airlines. They tend to be the folks hanging out around the lounge and are always great to talk to.

Do you have a local facebook group? We have this group called North Texas Aviators. It is big, and busy.

Do you have a local facebook group? We have this group called North Texas Aviators. It is big, and busy.
I try to avoid facebook, although I may check it out and see what kinds of groups there are. Definitely expect to see a lot here in Florida.

I've found most schools have a "lounge" area that is great for meeting folks and networking. The CFI's might have some better info as many are looking to get jobs in the airlines. They tend to be the folks hanging out around the lounge and are always great to talk to.
Mine is rather small, and although there is a CFI lounge off to the side of the main room, they do sometimes hang out there. I know they like to talk, but mostly to each other. I'm not yet sure what kinds of stuff to ask them other than "so how was the weather when you were up today?". Then again, I typically fly first thing in the morning so not even that :D
The flight school company also has another location in a nearby city I might be able to drive to (or fly) and say hi. My instructor and I stopped in a few weeks back to grab a soda and stretch our legs. It's much smaller though. I guess I just don't know where in the little FBOs I'm allowed to go wandering off into.

If you're willing hang out at the airport, maybe ask about a part-time fill in type job for line, etc. Make a little money, possibly get the training discount, and be there with a purpose while getting to talk to some pilots, which might remove some of the weirdness.

Also, joining this board was a good small step. If you can navigate the weeds, there's a lot of useful information and great people here.
Even if you don't get much from the board, I'd say you're already 1 step closer to possibly getting a ride around Tampa in a Nanchang ;)
I was looking around and I was surprised to see an active but not extremely large (from what I can tell) forum like POA. I've not heard of it until looking around recently. Either way, I'm excited to see what I can get and what I can bring here, especially later in my career.
With the discount, they actually do offer a 5% discount I believe for a part-time line job during the day (35 hours), and iirc 15% discount for full time. Problem is, they offer minimum wage and I'm making a good amount more than that where I am now, with slightly more flexible hours. When I started my training last August I did the math, I came up with the discount per flight not being worth the heavy drop in pay unfortunately. I could look into it again to see if anything has changed, though. If it was more enticing then I would be more than happy to do that instead.

Like any new group, it can take a few weeks to “fit in”. I’d just start studying or even flight planning there. Once folks recognize you, you will become part of the group.

Back