[NA] Found Dog, now what? [NA]

Pi1otguy

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Fox McCloud
A stray came to my house last night. It has a collar with no tags what so ever. It's some sort of a harness. Appears to be too snug to remove over head and will likely be cut later today.

Anyway, I searched Craigslist for lost dog ads but had no real luck. I know almost nothing about dogs and need a little advice while looking for the owner. I've only got a week of vacation to locate the owner or a new home.

And no, while I'd love to consider it, my work schedule and finances preclude me from adopting him.

1. Can any one help me identify the breed? Update: According to the vet it's a terrier, possible fox terrier. Probably 18 months.
2. Besides fliers (in progress) and craigslist what other suggestions do you guys have for finding the owner?
3. He/She has an injured leg and the local vets are closed today. I can't tell if it's still bleeding, but the fur is stained and itshe occasionally licks the leg. Suggestions? Update: Vet took care of it. Will heel in 2 weeks.
4. Is it too cold to be outside? Lows are around 50*F here in Long Beach, CA. She seems to not care about the cold.
5. How do I remove urine odor from carpet? Bought some commercial spray. Works. (I cleaned most out with regular cleaner minutes after being deposited.)

Any dog owners, vets, care takers, enthusiast, etc please advise.

Attachments

• 2010-12-26 04.02.40.jpg
    2010-12-26 04.02.40.jpg
    832.4 KB · Views: 112
  • 2010-12-26 00.01.09.jpg
    2010-12-26 00.01.09.jpg
    851.1 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Bring it to the local SPCA. Chances are that if its really lost the owner may have gone there. You can also call the local PD and tell them you have the dog and what your doing with it. And 50F to cold? pishaw!

Ted will be right over.. Just clear out a runway for him to land the Aztruck on. :wink2::wink2::D

Hopefully you can reunite the lost dog with its owner..:thumbsup:

Ben.

It is possible that the dog has a chip imbedded for identification. Use your best judgement on turning the pup over to a shelter. Some are disease ridden holding tanks for dogs to be euthanized. Go to pilotsnpaws.org. There are tools for locating volunteers who will help in your area. Nice of you to take him in, but really feel good about it when you go the extra mile. I'll post here if I find anything useful.

You might check with a local vet also. They field queries frequently. If the dog has a chip, they can read it. I'd try that before the police. Once the police/pound is notified, there can be retrieval fees and lots of procedures in some places.

I've had mixed success returning lost dogs. Some folks just don't treat them in the manner I do.

Best,

Dave

There are a number of OTC at the local pet stores for urine. But first, try a dilute solution of vinegar & water. Remember high school chem - alkalai and acids counter each other.

If at the pet store, pick up a small spray bottle of Simple Solution & follow directions. Don't use good towels - use trashy towels or paper towels.

The harness appears to be too tight around the body. If it's not attached to the collar, go ahead and cut it off now. From looking at the photos, it appears the harness is on 24/7 and either the dog has grown (and the harness is now too small) or it really needs a haircut.

Don't bother with the flyers. Call the local ASPCA ASAP and/or animal shelter. They deal with this all the time. The dog may have a chip in it, so they can easily locate the owners. Not only that, but you can arrange to drop the dog off there today.

And thank you for giving it a little box home and water. You good dog people.

For lost dogs, craigslist is NOT the first option. It's not even the last option.

http://www.spcala.com/
Your local ASPCA -(562) 570-7722

Last edited:
I got an answer back from one of my rescue ladies in Colorado. She would like your contact information so that she can work with you on this. Her name is Mala. Her email is: animalposse@gmail.com. Her phone is: 970-391-4821. Contact her and she will help find a rescue. You can do a Google search yourself for local Long Beach rescue groups. Don't worry about the breed. Almost any of these will provide help and/or foster care.

Absolutely DO NOT advertise on Craig's List. This is where people go to get "bait dogs" for dog fighting rings and animals to sell for laboratory experiments. Please post your results here and good luck!

A stray came to my house last night. It has a collar with no tags what so ever. It's some sort of a harness. Appears to be too snug to remove over head and will likely be cut later today.

Anyway, I searched Craigslist for lost dog ads but had no real luck. I know almost nothing about dogs and need a little advice while looking for the owner. I've only got a week of vacation to locate the owner or a new home.

And no, while I'd love to consider it, my work schedule and finances preclude me from adopting him.

1. Can any one help me identify the breed? My limited Google-fu leans towards Maltese, Wheaton Terrier, or Whoodle.
2. Besides fliers (in progress) and craigslist what other suggestions do you guys have for finding the owner?
3. He/She has an injured leg and the local vets are closed today. I can't tell if it's still bleeding, but the fur is stained and it occasionally licks the leg. Suggestions?
4. Is it too cold to be outside? Lows are around 50*F here in Long Beach, CA.
5. How do I remove urine odor from carpet?

Any dog owners, vets, care takers, enthusiast, etc please advise.

A stray cam to my house last night. It has a collar with no tags what so ever. It's some sort of a harness. Appears to be too snug to remove over head and will likely be cut later today.
Why remove it?

1. Can any one help me identify the breed? My limited Google-fu leans towards Maltese, Wheaton Terrier, or Whoodle.
It used to be that most local papers would publish ads for "found" pets at no charge. I'd look into that for sure.

The dog may have a RFID tag, any vet or shelter should be able to check for that. If it has one, it should be easy to find the owners from the national database.
3. He/She has an injured leg and the local vets are closed today. I can't tell if it's still bleeding, but the fur is stained and it occasionally licks the leg. Suggestions?
If it's not bleeding enough to notice I'd make certain there were no broken bones and wash the area well.
4. Is it too cold to be outside? Lows are around 50*F here in Long Beach, CA.
That doesn't sound too cold for a healthy animal but given the injuries I'd want to keep the dog inside/warmer for a while. Outside, it should be provided with shelter and some sort of bedding.

There are several commercial products for that (look in a pet store) but IME they are only semi effective. I'd be surprised if a dog that size wearing a collar wasn't housebroken but stress and injury can temporarily affect that. Keeping a dog confined in an appropriately sized kennel (a sturdy cardboard box might do temporarily) when you're not around is likely to prevent "accidents" as long as you let the dog outside every 4-8 hours.

Last edited:
Being able to insert two fingers between the dog's neck and collar is the standard test for proper fit. If you can do the same on the harness, it's probably OK unless the dog is running or exercising. most harnesses have at least one buckle somewhere. Are you sure you've checked all the locations?

Update: I've contacted Mala and we're getting the ball rolling on finding a home or a rescue group in my area. Also, I'm looking up the vets in my area so I can 1) get them to check for a chip and 2) visit the other area vets to see if any staff recognizes her as a regular patient.

My Google-fu is weaker then I thought. I'm having trouble determining if shelters I find in my searching are "no kill" and many of the rescue groups I find specialize in certain breeds which do not look like what I have (Maltese, wheaton terrier?)

On a good note, I've determined she's a girl (I generally don't feel up dogs I just meet) and the paw seems to be doing better now. Still limping, but it's better then her holding it up and hoping. She's actually moving out of the box to other parts of the yard. Just have to figure out tonight's accommodations. I don't want any more accidents in the house (Even though it was my fault by waiting for 60*F before letting her out).

And 50F to cold? pishaw!

Tell that to my family when they complain about my house being under 65F.

The harness appears to be too tight around the body. If it's not attached to the collar, go ahead and cut it off now. From looking at the photos, it appears the harness is on 24/7 and either the dog has grown (and the harness is now too small) or it really needs a haircut.

Turns out it's the latter. I just reached into the fur and adjusted harness. No buckle to undo it. It's not too tight anymore.

http://www.spcala.com/
Your local ASPCA -(562) 570-7722

Called and got forwarded to Animal Control after explaining my situation. Preferably I'd like to involve Animal Control as a last resort for obvious reasons.

I'd be surprised if a dog that size wearing a collar wasn't housebroken but stress and injury can temporarily affect that.

I think she is, but I timed it wrong. I thought she'd go to the door, claw at it, or bark. Instead she gave 2 whimpers, stepped out of the box and treated my carpet like grass. But I think she's more an outdoor dog. She hasn't tried to come in all day.

Have you tried calling animal control yet? If this dog is a dog that gets out frequently then they may already know who the owner is. Also as stated in earlier posts they can scan the dog for a micro chip. I dont know about Calif but here in MA Animal Control has to keep a dog for ten days before it can be adopted out or euthanized.

Distilled white vinegar and baking soda gets rid of skunk spray, so it ought to work on urine, without harming the carpet. The vinegar works OK by itself, but adding baking soda provides a very useful "fizzing" effect.

As for the harness, unless it was put on a while back and the dog grew into it(?!), it should come off without cutting, fasteners or no.

Good luck with this, and good for you! :thumbsup:

Your doggy is almost certainly a poodle who needs a haircut. I know. I had one who looked just like him.
The test: Gently pull on his hair and see if you get a handful. If not, he's a poodle. They don't shed. They have hair, not fur.
Looks like a loveable little guy who needs some tlc. Reminds me very much of my guy, Mickie, who passed away some years ago.

I highly recommend "Nature's Miracle" for urine removal. Blot up what you can of the mess then use plenty so it gets into the carpet backing. It has enzymes which digest the organic compounds so the smell might get worse for a while as it is working. Best product out there.

50 degrees too cold? Not likely. Wish I had your problem - it will be in the teens here tonight, with a wind chill below zero. My dog lives outside - and manages just fine. I do have a doggy heating pad (on a thermostat) in his doghouse.

Dave

The problem with bringing dogs to animal shelters is that, in many cases, the shelter will make no effort to try to find the owner, and will either try to readopt the dog out or simply put it down. I think trying to work with rescues or local vets is a good idea.

Good luck!

The problem with bringing dogs to animal shelters is that, in many cases, the shelter will make no effort to try to find the owner, and will either try to readopt the dog out or simply put it down. I think trying to work with rescues or local vets is a good idea.

Good luck!

Though finding the owner is best outcome with taking her to a rescue as a close 2nd. I'm considering this my good deed of the week.

Your doggy is almost certainly a poodle who needs a haircut. I know. I had one who looked just like him.
The test: Gently pull on his hair and see if you get a handful. If not, he's a poodle. They don't shed. They have hair, not fur.
Looks like a loveable little guy who needs some tlc. Reminds me very much of my guy, Mickie, who passed away some years ago.

Ok, I guess she's a poodle. Somehow I was expecting poodles to have "poofs" or something.

Call or visit your local pet supply stores. A lot of them (at least, independently-owned "Mom and Pop" ones) post "lost dog" posters and may know who the owner is. Personally, I would take doggy along for the ride. Possibly the pet shop owner may recognize her.

I've been in your position a few times, by the way. As Maxmosbey witnessed last time he was here, animals tend to like me. I've boarded a few strays over the years, and I've found most of their owners through the local pet supply shops.

Good luck!

-Rich

Based on your description of the dog and it's behavior, I don't think that I would spend much effort into finding the original owner.
Some people just leave their dogs outside in a kennel and ignore them except for the occasional bowl of food / water. That's not much of a life for a social animal like a dog.

Based on your description of the dog and it's behavior, I don't think that I would spend much effort into finding the original owner.
Some people just leave their dogs outside in a kennel and ignore them except for the occasional bowl of food / water. That's not much of a life for a social animal like a dog.

+1000!!!!
Dogs are social animals. In nature, they live in a pack. The worst punishment that the pack can inflict on a dog who misbehaves is to be driven from the pack, to become a loner.
They see you as their pack leader and when you leave them alone, it makes
them miserable. (even just leaving them for the day to go to work)
I have ALWAYS had at least TWO dogs so that they have company when I'm not there. They cause a lot less trouble when they have someone
to play with.
If she is quiet and easy to get along with, I'd keep her!
...and if you don't want her, send her to me!!

+1000!!!!

If she is quiet and easy to get along with, I'd keep her!
...and if you don't want her, send her to me!!
Keep in mind that this could be a beloved pet that someone's missing terribly. I'd certainly make a significant effort to locate the owner before deciding to keep someone else's dog.

Keep in mind that this could be a beloved pet that someone's missing terribly. I'd certainly make a significant effort to locate the owner before deciding to keep someone else's dog.

I agree. But the fact that she has an overly tight, ill fitting collar or harness on her says that she was not treated well. I would be VERY hesitant to return any dog to someone who didn't treat it well.
If I saw that, my first thought would be that she would be better off
living with me.

This is no one's beloved pet, unless the animal's owner sports a two digit IQ. Identification tags can be made at almost any pet store for very little money. Both my dogs sport them on their loose fitting collars. If they ever get lost (they have gotten out of the yard when someone left the gate open) anyone can immediately see where they belong. Check the hair for matting; ignored poodles will get their hair matted very quickly. Little dude may need clipped, though that hair looks awfully straight for a poodle. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a fair amount of Shi-Tzu in that animal.

Last edited:
Dogs are social animals. In nature, they live in a pack. The worst punishment that the pack can inflict on a dog who misbehaves is to be driven from the pack, to become a loner.

There are no shortage of dogs who run off not because they want to leave their packs, but because they get distracted and don't understand about life outside very well. There's a reason why a number of dogs you don't let off-leash outdoors.

I have ALWAYS had at least TWO dogs so that they have company when I'm not there. They cause a lot less trouble when they have someone
to play with.

um, we had two dogs. We got them at about 12 weeks old (or so) from the same litter. I'm not convinced that two would cause less problems than one. btw - it's kind of hard to figure out which one vomited during the day or had the runs.

I agree. But the fact that she has an overly tight, ill fitting collar or harness on her says that she was not treated well. I would be VERY hesitant to return any dog to someone who didn't treat it well.
If I saw that, my first thought would be that she would be better off
living with me.

Without making such judgments about the previous owner I feel I should clarify about the harness. It was too tight, but I've adjusted that. Judging the "wet dog" smell and how skinny she may have been out for a while. I'd say she may have grown into it being to snug. And "ill fitting" doesn't even describe it. Whereas a harness has one loop over the neck and one behind the shoulder, this one is too small to go behind the shoulder and instead had both loops around the neck.

Identification tags can be made at almost any pet store for very little money. Both my dogs sport them on their loose fitting collars. If they ever get lost (they have gotten out of the yard when someone left the gate open) anyone can immediately see where they belong.

[Rant]
Please, please, please all dog owners put a tag on your dogs and a microchip helps too. In my city both are actually required by law. I've done my due diligence in looking for the owner when I could have simply called animal control and have them pick her up. If either was present I'd simply be in the process of arranging a time to return the dog.
[/rant]

[

[Rant]
Please, please, please all dog owners put a tag on your dogs and a microchip helps too. In my city both are actually required by law. I've done my due diligence in looking for the owner when I could have simply called animal control and have them pick her up. If either was present I'd simply be in the process of arranging a time to return the dog.
[/rant][/QUOTE]

What the heck does that mean ??????????????????????

Ben.

Update: Saw the vet and got her scanned but there's no chip (scanned twice). Got no response from the fliers I initially posted (complete with color pic), and she has no chip. I've visited several vet offices in my area with fliers and had no luck. None remember this dog and most do not post lost/found dog fliers. It's unlikely that I can find the owner. Given how she likes to walk even with her injuried paw she could have traveled several miles in the time it took to get so thin.

The vet looked at the paw and it was actually just an extremely over grown nail that curled back and led to an infection. The nail was clipped and some antibiotics given. She also has a few minor cuts/bruises on her head and body that are healing normally. Looks like life on the street as opposed to abuse. The visit was a relatively quick and cheap (~$100). Unknown to me I can not use the human analog of a no insurance urgent care visit to guess the cost. Looks like I'll be giving her pills and spreading ointment for a week. And I learned that not only is she not fixed, but she's in heat and it's "that time". The blood stains were not exclusively from her paw or leg.

Also, she has an odd behavioral quirk. I don't know if it's training or something else, but she is hesatant about crossing any doorway in or out. She will exit my house to relieve herself, but otherwise she stops at the doorway and looks around. Food or treats have no effect either. I haven't found any combination of commands to get her to cross yet. Also, I haven't figured what kind of toys she's into.

I've had a change of heart and I am seriously re-evaluating if I can have a dog. If a new home comes out of the efforts that have already been started I will of course honor that, but I'm not sure she absolutely has to go atleast for the next week or 2. My main concerns are time and money. I'm worried that my occasional over night stays starting in April may be problematic even if I do board her. I'm also worried about cost. My understanding is that a medium dog cost around $1500-$2000 a year in upkeep. I just bought a house and while squeezing $150/month out of myself is doable, the intial cost (fixing her, shots, etc) combined with the unexpected expenses that seem to pop up with my house may make things tight. I'll really have to think this through.

Lastly, here's the updated stats from the vet:
Breed: Terrier, possibly Fox terrier
Sex: Female - not fixed currently in heat.
Weight: 25 lbs but currently underweight. (idk what the proper weight is.)

What the heck does that mean ??????????????????????

Ben.

It means that whoever owned the dog is unlikely to get it back because it's virtually impossible for me to find them. A cheap tag or a chip would have solved that.

Also means that many others would've either left her out there in her injured weak condition or called animal control. Actually, calling the city was the advice many people gave me. Without a tag or chip plus injury we all know where going to the pound likely ends.

Whereas a harness has one loop over the neck and one behind the shoulder, this one is too small to go behind the shoulder and instead had both loops around the neck.

What you're describing is a special collar I've seen on Dog Whisperer, that gives better control of the neck (and therefore the animal) without being a choker chain.

What you're describing is a special collar I've seen on Dog Whisperer, that gives better control of the neck (and therefore the animal) without being a choker chain.
Oh. Learned something new. Thank you.

Let me reiterate, I have no real knowledge about the proper care and training of dogs. Take whatever conclusions I make with a grain of salt.

It means that whoever owned the dog is unlikely to get it back because it's virtually impossible for me to find them. A cheap tag or a chip would have solved that.

Also means that many others would've either left her out there in her injured weak condition or called animal control. Actually, calling the city was the advice many people gave me. Without a tag or chip plus injury we all know where going to the pound likely ends.

Sorry. The gist of your comments was ' I did all i could do'. I took that as 'the dog is off to the shelter'. I apologize for my comments.

Ben.

1. Check with the vets and various rescue organizations for a discount on spaying, shots, etc for the dog.
2. dog food - 35 pounds for the dog translates to about 2.5 - 3 cups (volume, not weight) of dry dog food (reasonably high quality) per day. I get a 35 pound bag for about $40. Plan on 6 bags a year or $20/month for food.
3. Shots, toys, annual checkup cost me $600 this year.
4. Fuzzy company that's always happy to see me, a reasonably good watchdog, and never hassles me except to destroy things in the house when the squirrels tease him from the tree.

Yes, dogs can easily get expensive. Ours probably run 1 AMU each per year, and ours are tiny. They also dramatically affect your life style. Gets harder to live in an apartment, and loads harder to travel. They do have on awesome side effect. Chicks dig them.

The care and feeding part of keeping an animal isn't rocket surgery. It can be learned easily enough, and there are plenty of resources available. Your vet is, of course, one of the most valuable, as you have learned.

What's not so easy to acquire is sensitivity to animals and the ability to communicate effectively with them. There seems to be a universal non-verbal language, possibly based in part on pheromones, that most animals -- except humans -- seem fluent in. With humans, that ability seems to have receded as our communication has evolved around the aural and visual senses rather than the olfactory.

I have come to believe, for no reason other than my own experiences, that some of us retain the ability to communicate with other species to a greater degree than others. I'm one of those people. Animals I've never met before seem to be immediately comfortable with me. Dogs who generally hate strangers don't hate me. Wild animals ranging from skunks to deer have walked up to me and accepted food from my hand. Birds perch on me when I sit in the park. Seriously. I have a witness to that on this board.

More importantly, however, I seem to have a sense of what the animals are thinking or trying to tell me. For example, in every single case in which I've boarded strays, the animals came to me, not me to them. But I immediately knew that they weren't feral animals, but lost ones, even though some of them had no collars or other signs of having been someone's pets. And I knew that they wanted my help.

One thing that I noticed is that quite often, when I walk these animals to my home, they turn and wait on my stoop before I've given any aural or visual cue that that's where I live. I suppose they associate my scent with my home, but by waiting for me they're also expressing their understanding that I intend to take them in. Pretty remarkable when you think about it.

What's harder for me to understand is how they get lost in the first place. It would seem almost impossible to me for an animal whose supersense is scent to lose their owner within the relatively small confines of an urban neighborhood. Maybe they're overwhelmed by the many scents around them. Or maybe animals who tend to get lost are "olfactory-challenged." I really have no idea.

What I do know is that we manage to communicate just fine. I usually speak verbally to them, based on a suspicion that either they understand more of our language than we give them credit for, or that the pheromones we exude correspond to our spoken words. And they answer me, in a way that I really can't describe, but that I understand.

The odd thing is, I'm not someone who considers myself an "animal lover," although others have told me that I am. I'm a person who has a good rapport with members of other species, but frankly, it's only because so many people have commented on it that I came to realize that it's a bit exceptional. Had I realized it decades ago, and if I were smarter, maybe I could have become a vet.

So why am I telling you all this? Because I suspect that you're one of "us," those humans who retain a lot of the ability to communicate with other species. And I suspect that doggy has been talking to you, trying (successfully, it would seem) to convince you that she really won't be any trouble, and that she'll give much more as a companion than she'll ask for in return.

-Rich

Best way to cure the door phobia is some obedience training... Don't spend money on this... Use the web to find articles/videos on how to train your dog to come on command and to heel... Once she is trained to heel (and stay there) the door phobia will go away as she passes through doors in the heel position..

The modern way of life is to pay other people to do everything (sigh)...
But pretty much other than medical emergencies, you can read and learn everything you need to know about dogs and keep the money in your pocket...

OK, I gotta go and finish making room in the workshop for my pickup - oil change time (no I don't pay people to do that for me)

denny-o (old farm boy - we didn't have money to pay other people for anything)

OK, I gotta go and finish making room in the workshop for my pickup - oil change time (no I don't pay people to do that for me)

denny-o (old farm boy - we didn't have money to pay other people for anything)

Aren't we studly today?

A thought: the "grown-into" harness, the overgrown nail, some of the behavioral things, and the lack of success, so far, getting a response from an owner locally indicate that this dog may have been on the road for a while (as in traveling).

We often hear of dogs and cats making epic journeys to be reunited with families, but I'm sure they don't always succeed. This dog may have lost the track at some point, or maybe she's just not very good at it.

Back