[NA] Austin, TX to-dos?

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
Coming into AUS this evening for a meeting north of town tomorrow. I always felt like I *should* do something the few times I've been to Austin, but so far I've only ever hopped on the toll road northbound from the airport.

Any to-do's that I should consider checking out this evening?

Shame that Armadillo World HQ shut down years ago.
If you've got a car, head east west to the Salt Lick for BBQ.
Don't know if the Tower is still open, but that's a great view.

Last edited:
Coming into AUS this evening for a meeting north of town tomorrow. I always felt like I *should* do something the few times I've been to Austin, but so far I've only ever hopped on the toll road northbound from the airport.

Any to-do's that I should consider checking out this evening?
I live in the Austin area and probably haven't seen all of the attractions! The Capitol building is nice to visit and free and you can bring your gun if you have a permit! The Bullock museum is a nice way to kill some time in the AC and they have an IMAX theater.

North side is a wide ranging area. If I was a baseball fan, I’d check if a game is playing at Dell Diamond and grab bbq at Salt Lick (co-located) as my first option.

After that, there ain’t much really to see in the evening as far as I’m concerned. The Bullock museum or LBJ museum provide some options downtown, but downtown Austin lost it’s attractiveness to me over the last few years, which is sad because I grew up near the city and loved it until about 10 years ago. Exponential growth and ‘weirdness’ reminds me of Skid Row when we go now.

Depending where you’re staying, Terry Black’s on Barton Springs. Get the beef rib, you’ll thank me later and will be close to the Congress Ave bridge if you want to see the bats.

North side is a wide ranging area. If I was a baseball fan, I’d check if a game is playing at Dell Diamond and grab bbq at Salt Lick (co-located) as my first option.

After that, there ain’t much really to see in the evening as far as I’m concerned. The Bullock museum or LBJ museum provide some options downtown, but downtown Austin lost it’s attractiveness to me over the last few years, which is sad because I grew up near the city and loved it until about 10 years ago. Exponential growth and ‘weirdness’ reminds me of Skid Row when we go now.
Dell Diamond, yet. Salt Lick, no! Expensive, overrated BBQ and they were just closed a couple of weeks ago for health code violations.

I have done the BBQ, even the way out there Salt Lick. And the way out there Austin Zoo.
I dont do bars that much anymore, so its usually get a hotel with a pool and get some tacos and hang at the hotel when I have to fly in and do work. The bats are cool, but they you realize, I am watching bats.
Dont go to the Austin aquarium. its in the strip mall and it has more chickens than fish.

I have been meaning to drive to San Antonio, as I heard its very pretty there.

I have done the BBQ, even the way out there Salt Lick. And the way out there Austin Zoo.
I dont do bars that much anymore, so its usually get a hotel with a pool and get some tacos and hang at the hotel when I have to fly in and do work. The bats are cool, but they you realize, I am watching bats.
Dont go to the Austin aquarium. its in the strip mall and it has more chickens than fish.

I have been meaning to drive to San Antonio, as I heard its very pretty there.
San Antonio is where I go when I want a quick vacation or just a day away!

If you've got a car, head east to the Salt Lick for BBQ.
Uh, the original Salt Lick is SW of Austin, in Driftwood. A second location is north, in Round Rock, which would probably be a closer drive for him. The only Salt Lick to the east of Austin is inside Bergstrom airport, so he wouldn't even need a car to get to that one.

Stiles Switch is very good BBQ without the long drive to Driftwood or the multi-hour-long lines you get at the bigger name places like Franklin's, and it's at least north of downtown, if not exactly in "North Austin". Depending how far north OP's meeting is, there's also a location in Cedar Park. (Edit: Whoops--you said tonight, and they're closed on Mondays. Nevermind!!)

Depending on when you arrive, catching the sunset from Mount Bonnell can be nice. There are ~100 steps to climb to the top, so not much of a "mount", but no bueno if you're on crutches.

You could also stroll around The Domain on the north side, which is sort of the 2023 version of Mall of America. Just a big collection of shops, restaurants, and bars, but spread out over several blocks and not enclosed in a single building structure. Which means this time of the year during the day it's sweltering and oppressive to walk around, but by evening time it's merely oppressive. (Why did malls go out of style again, especially in the South??!?)

Last edited:
When I say "north", I mean Temple. So I need to end up there eventually tonight.

That is a great suggestion. Love me some MiLB.. looks like they're off this week for the MLB all-star week. Dang!

When I say "north", I mean Temple. So I need to end up there eventually tonight.
OK, you're headed way north. Probably too late now, but had I known I'd have suggested you swing through downtown Georgetown on your way up 35. The square is dotted with some very good restaurants, and it's a pleasant place to spend a few minutes strolling around as you pick a place to eat.

Just a couple miles farther up 35 and a couple miles east, is this place, which is definitely worth a visit if you like German food and beer. Especially on Fri and Sat nights when the buffet is going and the biergarden is hopping (but either get there early or expect a wait!): https://walburgrestaurant.net/ (also closed Mondays (and Tues), so no good for this trip)

Yeah; that’s an hour-plus north. Aint’t much until you get to Waco and then I’d recommend Balcones Distilling.

I ended up hitting up Terry Blacks in Austin before heading north. Good grief, you weren't lying about the beef rib! I barely touched the brisket after trying the beef rib - partly because I was full as a tick and partly because the brisket almost seemed dry after having the rib.

Good to know about the other places between AUS and Temple. I know I'll be back - I'm here kicking off a project that will run into middle of next year probably.

All gas, no brakes . . . Right off the cliff.

I was taking a pic of the stadium and trying to maneuver my other hand for the obligatory 'horns down' for my friends and noticed a campus police car coming down the road behind me. I decided to continue on. I didn't want to end up on the news...

AUS defunded their police force, so bring a gat. Also, enjoy touring the homeless camps. Why don’t you come join us in Aggieland instead! Gig em!

Back