My 1st time going into class C at night, any advice?

Alpha Kilo Warrior

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Alpha Kilo Warrior
Departing KHFD to KPVD. I'm bringing my CFI, that signed I did my flight review with back in January, but I want to look cool like I have my s**t together. Thx

No biggie. Get the weather. Call Approach and let them know you have the ATIS. They give you a transponder code, enter it... they say "radar contact" and confirm your distance and altitude. Let them know what you want to do and look for the airport. Let them know when you have it in sight and they will turn you over to the tower, and just give them a call (no need to give position and altitude, they already know) and follow the instructions for pattern entry and any call they want you to make.

If you get confused, just say this is my first time in Class C, and they will guide you in.

Departing KHFD to KPVD. I'm bringing my CFI, that signed I did my flight review with back in January, but I want to look cool like I have my s**t together. Thx
What part is giving you anxiety? It's the same procedure as during the day - only more fun!

Touch-N-Go with your CFI or doing a full stop and staying for a bit?

If it's a touch and go then you're just going to call 'em up as Gilbert says and say your intentions for TnG and go from there.

If it's a full stop and staying at the FBO for a bit, just remember to hit clearance as your first radio call on the way out (usually). Tell 'em you're VFR back to wherever, at X altitude, and in Y type plane. THEN over to ground. I messed that up the first cpl charlies/TRSA airports I went to.

But it looks like a really simple airport with only 2 runways, no parallels and a reasonably simple taxiway setup. Only thing I'd do is probably spend 5-10 mins reviewing the taxi-diagram to know where you're going, easier than trying to find it for the first time in the dark. Also, there's like 5 hotspots listed on the taxiway chart for PVD, so I'd be cognizant of those. Should be easy peasy. Have fun!

If it's a touch and go then you're just going to call 'em up as Gilbert says and say your intentions for TnG and go from there.

If it's a full stop and staying at the FBO for a bit, just remember to hit clearance as your first radio call on the way out (usually). Tell 'em you're VFR back to wherever, at X altitude, and in Y type plane. THEN over to ground. I messed that up the first cpl charlies/TRSA airports I went to.

But it looks like a really simple airport with only 2 runways, no parallels and a reasonably simple taxiway setup. Only thing I'd do is probably spend 5-10 mins reviewing the taxi-diagram to know where you're going, easier than trying to find it for the first time in the dark. Also, there's like 5 hotspots listed on the taxiway chart for PVD, so I'd be cognizant of those. Should be easy peasy. Have fun!
I'm going to request a full stop, then taxi back to the active for flight back to KHFD. I will definitely study the taxi layout. My 1st officer is a CFI so hes there to make sure I do it right. My ego wants this to be all me though.

Full stop, then taxi back to active. I like the 2-3 mins to settle down. I stopped doing touch and goes for about a month and it helps my brain regroup after each landing. Thx for the feedback and advice.

What part is giving you anxiety? It's the same procedure as during the day - only more fun!
My cfi is with me and I have not flown with him for over 2 months after he signed my flight review. I guess it's my ego saying (in my own head), "I could have done this by myself". But I'm actually super excited to fly with him, it's not a test just a "safety pilot" trip.

When you startup and call for taxi - be aware you MAY need to call “clearance delivery” for a sqwak code even if you’re VFR. Check the airport diagram/Foreflight.
I am lucky to get on VFR flight following (and code) via KHFD ground so that part is covered. Bradley Departure will hand me off to Providence Approach at some point and I should be good.

Meh...nothing to it. I'm based at a class C, and I hear pilots around the area with worries like yours, yet I find the C easier than a local D that is WAAAAY busier.

You probably will find the flying part easier at night. Many class C's get very quiet after dark. Not to mention giant runways typical at C's, and also well lit. Like others have said, the hardest part will be the taxi.

You are based at HFD and haven’t flown into BDL or PVD before? They were both on my night dual cross country when I was a student pilot!

As others said, it’s the same as daytime but usually quieter if you are late enough. This time of year, you probably will be.

… My ego wants this to be all me though.

I will thanks, my ego wants me to sound professional.

Egos do a good job killing people in this hobby. A different way to look at this is you’re confident enough to know your personal limits and seek instruction in areas you have little experience with.

Night, new airspace, new airfield, new markings and signage, new procedures can become overwhelming pretty quick, especially trying to find that black hole that is the airport. Might not kill you, but might get you violated pretty quick.

Be ready to be assigned a heading and maybe an altitude on the way in. . Typically at a Charlie you call clearance for a squawk code before taxi when leaving. Not sure how they will handle a taxi back. Would be good to tell approach on the way in, “ I plan a full stop, taxi back , then back to Hartford.” They might handle it for you. But be prepared to tell the tower too. Should be a piece of cake, don’t worry about impressing people, makes me screw up when I do that. I think they charge to land at Providence.

...Would be good to tell approach on the way in, “ I plan a full stop, taxi back , then back to Hartford.” They might handle it for you. But be prepared to tell the tower too. ...
I agree, but at night, often it is the same person, at least at my home Class C.

What I find interesting is when I request something "out of the norm". Some "out of the norm" things I do, and do somewhat often (but not often enough to make them "norm" LOL), is ask for no services when flying to one of the nearby / local class G airports. I get something different every time. Sometimes no unique squawk code at all but 1200, stay with tower...sometimes a 120X code (x being 1-7), but still stay with tower only. Sometimes a normal code but then cancel with tower right after takeoff (but still well within C), sometimes I get handed to departure then cancelled as I leave C (with either the 120X code or a normal code).

My only "pro" tip (and I'm certainly no pro) would be to try and get the KPVD ATIS before you get handed off from Bradley Approach to Providence Approach, so that when you check in with Providence, you can let them know you already have "information kilo" (or whatever it is -- e.g., "Bugsmasher 123, 3,500 VFR with information Kilo") -- no big deal if you forget, they'll just ask you to advise when you have the current ATIS.

I've flown from 1B9 (my home airport) to KBDL for a night landing, full-stop taxi back, and that's what I advised tower when I was switched from approach to tower. It was pretty quiet that night and KBDL tower kept me with them for the taxi, and actually asked (while I was on a long final) where my next destination was and what altitude, so that I could keep my code for my return flight back home. Don't know if KPVD will handle it the same way, but it wouldn't surprise me if they kept you with tower or just had you switch to ground to get your return flight info. My experience with Providence Approach is that they are friendly and helpful.

(I'll probably be trying a flight into KPVD sometime soon, it's the last airport I need to complete landings at all RI public airports). Good luck and have fun!

I will thanks, my ego wants me to sound professional.

The first time I flew into MDW (the busiest Class 'C' that I had flown into at that time, despite doing all my initial training at a smaller Class 'C' (MLI)), I was so focused on sounding like I 'belong' there, that after my initial call up, the controller actually had to tell ME to slow down because I was talking too fast for her to understand me. Talk about an ego deflator. Don't worry about the Comms - focus on flying the plane.

Aviate. Navigate. Communicate. ... In that order of priority.

ETA: Listen to a couple episodes of 'Opposing Bases' podcast. A couple of controllers that are bona fide aviation geeks (which I think they would freely admit) and will help reset expectations that controllers are some sort of demigod presence that must be placated with textbook perfect radio work. (Also, some really interesting and entertaining conversation about all sorts of aviation topics)

Why is going in at night any different than the day time?

Other than night illusions, it's the same as going in during the day. And did you seriously refer to someone in the right seat in a trainer type aircraft a first officer?

Class C and B Arrival

ATIS
Clearance Delivery
Ground
Tower
Departure

Class C and B Departure

ATIS
Approach
Tower
Ground

On arrival at night, the airport lighting will be very low. If you don’t see the airport, ask tower to increase the lighting until you see the airport - then decrease.

I flew into KRFD during my PPL. I remember they gave me vectors on the way in, I had to talk to clearance before ground, and it was busy. But it seemed like more helpful coming in, and one extra step leaving.

Class C and B Arrival

ATIS
Clearance Delivery
Ground
Tower
Departure

Class C and B Departure

ATIS
Approach
Tower
Ground

On arrival at night, the airport lighting will be very low. If you don’t see the airport, ask tower to increase the lighting until you see the airport - then decrease.

I think you got that BASSACKWARDS clip, but the intent is good.

Why is going in at night any different than the day time?

Other than night illusions, it's the same as going in during the day. And did you seriously refer to someone in the right seat in a trainer type aircraft a first officer?

Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one noticing.

You are based at HFD and haven’t flown into BDL or PVD before? They were both on my night dual cross country when I was a student pilot!
Your post motivated me to look at a map, and yes, it is surprising that a pilot from HFD has never been to a Class C before.

Then again, considering how some instructors seem to go out of their way to dumb down their training, maybe it is not surprising after all.

Screenshot 2024-03-28 at 3.03.57 PM.png

Then again, considering how some instructors seem to go out of their way to dumb down their training, maybe it is not surprising after all.

View attachment 127212
Right on target with that observation.
I don't think a lot of instruction is about equipping you to fly competently and confidently, so much as it's about making sure you don't fail your practical under their signoff.
I know my instructor wouldn't fly to a charlie, or even though a TRSA (at my request) during training. Just so I could learn how it works.
Luckily they're easy to figure out post-PPL.

Your post motivated me to look at a map, and yes, it is surprising that a pilot from HFD has never been to a Class C before.

Controlled airspace and talking to ATC is scary man! ;)

Yeah, wow, I was signed off to solo into Class -C when I was a student pilot (well it was an ARSA in those days)
I student soloed into the airspace (KORF) to meet the examiner for my checkride. That's where she was based.

To the OP's original question...
what comes to my mind is the sea of blue lights when on the ground.
Assuming it's a larger airport than you're used to.....
I suggest studying the airport diagram pretty well.
but be prepared to enjoy what looks like a sea of blue lights.
AND remember the phrase, "N123 requests PROGRESSIVE TAXI instructions" ;)

My first night flight into a class C was KBOI (Boise). I took off from KEUL, about 15 miles to the west. I was with my instructor. I took off and called tower. Tower gave me a heading so I turned to what I thought they said. Tower asked if I heard them correctly and I said yes. Then tower gave me another heading and I figured out I had made a mistake. He gave me another turn heading and then then one more. I looked down and saw I was directly over KEUL where I had started. I looked at my instructor and he said, tower wanted to give you another chance! He busted up laughing and said, he could tell I was a student pilot and was just messing with me.

Im a bit better with headings now but it was a great learning experience.

Right on target with that observation.
I don't think a lot of instruction is about equipping you to fly competently and confidently, so much as it's about making sure you don't fail your practical under their signoff.
I know my instructor wouldn't fly to a charlie, or even though a TRSA (at my request) during training. Just so I could learn how it works.
Luckily they're easy to figure out post-PPL.
My instructor didn't like it either, wonder if we had the same dude lol.

First flight I did myself after getting my PPL was fly to a Class C (KPIA) and TRSA (KRFD) by myself, liberating.

I did ALL of my training out of a class C, kaus. Of course that was 20 + yrs ago...but was worth it. Never feared the radio or mixing with the pros.

You're in a two-pilot airplane?
Yes and No, there will be two pilots aboard, myself a Private Pilot and the other person is CFI. Hes there a safety pilot for me. I probably could do this just fine solo. But we arranged this a couple weeks ago. Im paying for his time to come along with me.

Back