Missing Plane Paris, Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lowflynjack

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jack Fleetwood
A plane most likely crashed tonight, but they haven't found it. Not sure how to pull the audio, but he was talking to Addison tower around 8:15PM.

This may be the most heartbreaking communication I've ever heard.

This is how I heard it:
Addison Tower, Career Track 655 is actually going to depart to the East, uhh, I'm climbing up through the clouds and I'm just going to act outside of everything and as of about right now you'll probably realize that I'm not going to listen to y'alls instuctions and I'm just heading to East Texas and uh Career Track so I'm going to pull the comm 1 circuit breaker the comm 2 circuit breaker as soon as I un-key the mic.

Addison Tower: Career Track 655, Addison Tower, say again. Career Track 655, Addison Tower. Career Track 655, Addison Tower.

There was no response. Last known info was descending at 7500 fpm. N23107

Last edited:
That was haunting. I can't imagine what was going through ATC or anyone else on frequency's mind hearing that and only that. Total sadness and resignation in the pilots voice.

I understand they found the crash site around 11PM.

Transcript from the comments:

"Addison Tower Career Track 655 is actually going to depart to the east— uh I’m climbing up through the clouds and then just gonna’ head out outside of everything
And about right now you’ll probably realize that I’m not gonna listen to y’alls instructions and I’m heading to East Texas and I’m Career Track so uh, I’m gonna pull the Comm 1 circuit breaker, and Comm 2 circuit breaker right as soon as I un-key the mic"

Yeah, guy apparently left a suicide note from the early reports of the incident. NTSB probably won't have to spend a lot of time determining the cause of the crash.

The person on the radio sounds pretty young, makes the whole thing even more unfortunate :(
I hope the tower guy gets some time off - probably a little jarring to know you're the last person they talked to.

Be interesting to see if there’s an SI history and what, if anything, shows up in the tox report.

We had an almost 19 year old AFRES student in the E-3 schoolhouse that was med boarded out after suicidal ideation related to the first and only love of his life deciding to move on from the relationship.

Latest news says the plane was stolen from the flight school.

Preliminary investigation indicates a aircraft was stolen Wednesday afternoon from ATP Flight School in Addison, TX, and crashed in an open field 9 miles northeast of Telephone, TX.
The pilot identified as 23-year-old, Logan Timothy James, of Stokesdale, North Carolina was pronounced deceased at the scene. There were no passengers in the aircraft. The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) has taken over the investigation.

True, but I hope someone will investigate the cause of him having a medical certificate, if he in fact held one.

Isn't that like saying "I hope they investigate that shooter having a gun after passing a background check. "

A medical Isn't going to predict someone's behavior.

The only Logan Timothy James in the Airmen Registry.

09b9fc0032d43503d9e1e49982220e9d.jpg

True, but I hope someone will investigate the cause of him having a medical certificate, if he in fact held one.
Had a 1st Class Medical as of 5/2023 according to the Airmen Registry. If he wasn't depressed or indicating any emotional/mental problems, I don't know why a doctor would deny a medical.

It's interesting they say he stole it, but he was making calls as Career Track, and even said, "I am Career Track". I'm now hearing he got his license there back in December.
He could have just not been authorized to take the aircraft if he was currently an ATP student. He was an IR-rated Private Pilot, so he could have conceivable been an active Commercial student or someone who dropped the program but still knew how to get access to the fleet aircraft.

Isn't that like saying "I hope they investigate that shooter having a gun after passing a background check. "

A medical Isn't going to predict someone's behavior.
Agree, and in the case of depression, if you've never been treated and you don't tell... nobody giving an aviation medical would know.

It's interesting they say he stole it, but he was making calls as Career Track, and even said, "I am Career Track". I'm now hearing he got his license there back in December.
He probably didn’t know how to identify an airplane by tail number.

Nope. The FAA has made it different by placing so much effort into evaluating mental health. How are they doing?

There’s nothing equivalent in a firearm background check.

He probably didn’t know how to identify an airplane by tail number.
True. The Career Track, and other schools drive us crazy. They come to our airport, and many others in the area, to get away from the tower, then say "Career Track 456" when making their calls. It's hard to tell how many there are when there are several of them all using call signs that sound the same.

It's just incredible to me how much stress the kids are under, and how few resources they have to deal with it. With so little life experience they just don't have the tools to put setbacks in context. High stakes standardized testing just adds fuel to the fire. It's a damn shame.

Logan timothy James, of Stokesdale, NC, per Texas DPS

Attachments

• IMG_8462.png
    IMG_8462.png
    355.8 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_8463.png
    IMG_8463.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 119
The person on the radio sounds pretty young, makes the whole thing even more unfortunate :(
I hope the tower guy gets some time off - probably a little jarring to know you're the last person they talked to.
He was 23.

It's just incredible to me how much stress the kids are under, and how few resources they have to deal with it. With so little life experience they just don't have the tools to put setbacks in context. High stakes standardized testing just adds fuel to the fire. It's a damn shame.
Not sure that it's any different than it's always been. Everyone has their struggles and stress, be it school testing or otherwise. How you learn to cope with stress and challenges is a different matter altogether. Some people deal with it in a healthy manner, some don't. It's unfortunate indeed, but I don't know that it's unique to younger generations.

Not sure that it's any different than it's always been. Everyone has their struggles and stress, be it school testing or otherwise. How you learn to cope with stress and challenges is a different matter altogether. Some people deal with it in a healthy manner, some don't. It's unfortunate indeed, but I don't know that it's unique to younger generations.
Yes, stress that provokes one to take their own life has been around as long as man has been in existence. In biblical times, Greek Age and, in Billy Shakespeare's plays. We just have more avenues for the dissemination of the news of the event in modern times.

If a person takes a rental aircraft without the intention of returning it, I would call that stealing.

Seriously. And it was rather cryptic in a way where if you didn't know you're left asking yourself questions. We've got the benefit of knowing the outcome. I listened to it not reading the whole post, just that a plane went down and I was left confused and wondering if I heard him correctly.

Borrowed without asking and no intent on returning
Even if he booked the plane through the normal scheduling system, if he had no intention of returning it, it was stealing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back