If someone needed to fly an airplane with no electrical into a Class C

DFH65

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
DFH65
I assume they just call the TRACON associated with that airport and get permission assuming it is a legitimate reason. Do they need to do the online ADSB exception form as well? I don't think that covers the lack of a transponder. Do you need to do both? Is it possible to go in as a flight and not do either?

Thoughts? Comments?

Call the tower and ask them. The procedure is published but I’d still ask the tower staff.

I was thinking TRACON because they have the published phone number but I think I found the tower number.

Back in the olden days we just made a phone call and coordinated with ATC.

I’d just call the tower and ask as well.

We just covered a Diamond who exited a controlled field nordo, probably he could advise you?

This is to fly an airplane in/out for static display at an airshow.
you wouldn’t want to do it his way, anyhow.

can you get a handheld?
I’ve done class C that way.

Brush up on your light gun signals.
Find out when is their quietest time.

If you have a total failed electrical system on a aircraft that requires a electric fuel pump just how is this a airworthy aircraft. If it's a aircraft with no electrical system like a J-3 their are procedures in place for that.

This is to fly an airplane in/out for static display at an airshow.
A friend took a J-3 into DFW for such a thing. Coordinated in advance of course, and came in as a flight of two with another aircraft that had a transponder so approach & tower could see them. If it's a busy C, that's something to consider. Not required if tower gives permission, but could make everything easier.

If it's a slow airplane, use a cell phone and talk to tower till you land and get parked.

Out of curiosity, which Class C? Several have said, "call the tower", which must be the universally right answer, but I wonder if the response from tower is going to be different at Tallahassee Regional (1M movements per year) versus Yeager Airport (Charleston) (23K movements per year).

If you have a total failed electrical system on a aircraft that requires a electric fuel pump just how is this a airworthy aircraft. If it's a aircraft with no electrical system like a J-3 their are procedures in place for that.
Are those the only two possibilities? :confused2:

you wouldn’t want to do it his way, anyhow.

can you get a handheld?
I’ve done class C that way.

Brush up on your light gun signals.
Find out when is their quietest time.
Definitely will have a handheld. It is essentially a Champ (L16 replica). May be flying as a flight (others aircraft have ADSB) if we can coordinate it as several airplanes are flying from the museum to the airshow although speed might be an issue for a couple of us. We will definitely coordinate with the tower. This isn't a super busy Class C.

Back