How long does a paint job last outside?

IIRC, metallic paint requires a clear coat, but regular paint doesn’t.

All good information. It's a Grumman, so I'm mentally adding $5K on top of whatever it would cost to paint a 172, due to the bonded construction. I'm tied down in the Hudson Valley - less UV from the sun, but lots of snow/ice in the winter.

The shop where I got my Tiger painted in 2018 (Lancaster Aero in central PA) was quoting more money to paint a 172 than it did my plane.

One caution about tying a Grumman down outside. Keep a good watch for corrosion on top of the tubular carry through spar that supports the wings. Do the inspection of that area both visually and by feel as the exposed area at the top of the spar can't be fully accessed with a flashlight and mirror. And keep the top of the spar clean. Those spars are not readily available, and are expensive both to acquire and to swap out.

Frankly I'm surprised nobody has brought up the whole what can an owner legally paint topic up

Most people that don't have a hangar aren't outside by choice. Some places there's years long waiting lists. So they're not supposed to fly just cuz its not inside? Invest in some covers and do more thorough pre flight and go fly
I did not say they should not own or fly! My point was, worrying about the appearance and saleability of a paint job of a plane kept in the elements is rather ephemeral compared to factors like corrosion that are MUCH more concerning.

Was that a complete strip job with control surfaces removed?

I wouldn't be afraid of a scuff and shoot under the right circumstances. If the old paint is adhering well and its properly prepared so the new stuff sticks to it its a viable option. How much does paint weigh, ~15lbs a gallon?

Complete strip, control surfaces removed. Shop familiar with the Grummans. Took just about two months. We nicked the paint in a couple spots almost immediately after the plane was returned to us and the paint shop was kind enough to touch up those spots for free.

Which ones are the best?
White on all horizontal surfaces. Only use color on vertical which receives less UV/unit area. Or just look a autos: metallics are pretty but really look bad after a while. Aircraft paint is automotive paint.

Outside in the Las Vegas sun. Paint is now 5 years old. Annual wax and quarterly washes. Looks ‘almost’ like fresh paint. Hangars here are 700+ pm so 2 years of hangar rental is the same as a fresh paint join.

Outside in the Las Vegas sun. Paint is now 5 years old. Annual wax and quarterly washes. Looks ‘almost’ like fresh paint. Hangars here are 700+ pm so 2 years of hangar rental is the same as a fresh paint join.

Don’t forget the effect heat and sun has on the interior and avionics as well.

Back