How far do typical rudder and brake pedals move on GA aircraft?

KJ7RRV

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
KJ7RRV
On a typical GA airplane, how far do the rudder and brake pedals move when you push them? I'm building a set of rudder pedals for my flight simulator and want it to be as realistic as possible. I usually fly a Piper Cherokee, but I don't think this would vary much with different planes?

You should use two gas cylinder springs with a 10" stroke and 5 to 10 lb compressive force that mimics the pressure needed to depress the airplane's rudder pedals. It would be much easier to build than a setup using a steel spring.

View attachment 119139
Thank you! How would I use those without making the pedals move ten inches?

Thank you! How would I use those without making the pedals move ten inches?
You don't need to use the entire stroke. If they're a little long, you'll have more mounting options.

You don't need to use the entire stroke. If they're a little long, you'll have more mounting options.
Okay, thank you! So those should be easier to use and a more accurate representation of real pedals?

You should use two gas cylinder springs with a 10" stroke and 5 to 10 lb compressive force that mimics the pressure needed to depress the airplane's rudder pedals. It would be much easier to build than a setup using a steel spring.
Gas springs often have damping that would be undesirable in a simulator. The typical lightplane has no restrictions on control movement speeds.

Gas springs often have damping that would be undesirable in a simulator. The typical lightplane has no restrictions on control movement speeds.
So regular steel springs would be better? They seem to be quite a bit cheaper, too, which is important because I'm hoping to spend no more than $10-20.

i thought most modern pilots did not move these controls much, if at all?

i thought most modern pilots did not move these controls much, if at all?
How do you keep the plane in coordinated flight without the rudder pedals, and how do you stop after landing without the brakes?

I must admit I have zero experience building a light airplane flight simulator.

I must admit I have zero experience building a light airplane flight simulator.
I built one maybe 13 or 14 years ago.

1689824029451.png
1689824092606.png

It cost a lot more than $10 or $20, too.

Cessna rudder pedals on homemade rudder bars, homemade stick, homemade throttle/prop/mix stuff, and a helicopter collective out of sight on the left side of the seat. The seat came from a Chevy Cavalier in the junkyard. All the control potentiometers and circuit board came out of a desktop sim set, the plastic stuff most people end up with. It was a lot easier than creating it all myself. It had a decent sound system, real rumble. It had MSFS and X-Plane on it. The students were supposed to use it for free non-loggable IFR practice (see the Redbird behind it?) but most of them, and we instructors and mechanics, had a blast flying all sorts of stuff. I will say that the X-Plane helicopters were far more realistic than the MSFS. You really had your hands full.

So regular steel springs would be better? They seem to be quite a bit cheaper, too, which is important because I'm hoping to spend no more than $10-20.
Bungees world work fine, too.

Back