How do you put real music in youtube videos?

JasonM

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
JM
I have seen quite a few videos on youtube with real songs rather than the list of royalty free junk.. Any clue? I have tried adding music while editing on my PC, but after uploading they remove the music.

I have seen quite a few videos on youtube with real songs rather than the list of royalty free junk.. Any clue? I have tried adding music while editing on my PC, but after uploading they remove the music.
It's a copyright issue. YouTube has been hit with legal action in the past regarding the music so it's not taking any chances these days.

If you write and produce the music yourself, and they substitute the music, then you have a legitimate case against them. Or if you have a release from the composer and publisher of the music, then they can't substitute.

There is a clause in copyright law relating to Fair Use, but there are restrictions. If it's a parody , e.g Weird Al, or used for scholarly reasons, no problem. Or a snippet for demonstration. But not the entire song for a video.

Go find an IP lawyer.

Last edited:
I understand why they are removing it, but I dont understand why so many people are able to do it without any problems. I have also seen some with links to buy the music they featured at amazon and such. I figure there has to be a way to do this..

I understand why they are removing it, but I dont understand why so many people are able to do it without any problems. I have also seen some with links to buy the music they featured at amazon and such. I figure there has to be a way to do this..

Some composers have agreed to a deal with YouTube, others haven't. The rules are posted on YouTube. go search for youtube music restrictions.

Last edited:
A lot of the time if you use copyrighted music, it will play on a PC but not a mobile device.

The way YouTube has it now, you can probably just do it, and YouTube will either take your video down or put ads on it (the revenue of which will go to the copyright holder).

You have to time shift it.

The recognition softwares works on a combination of beats, syncopation, amplitude and frequency. In any good video editing or audio editing software you can stretch a song, either slow it down or speed it up a few %. That will almost always fool the recognition software. And if you don't want it to sound sped up, you can do what's called a time shift - the song is still longer or shorter, but the singer doesn't sound sped up. What it basically does is chop up the song into tiny single bit spacings and then introduce a bigger empty space between the bits. This will make the song longer or shorter, but without changing the "sound".

Easily done in Final Cut Pro or most of the semi professional softwares.

I imagine you'd have to open an Adsense account and associate it with the YouTube account, but I really don't know for sure.

Rich

I imagine you'd have to open an Adsense account and associate it with the YouTube account, but I really don't know for sure

That doesn't do it. As someone else pointed out, it's entirely up to the music owner to decide the licensing scheme. And there has never been a way to search to see if the music you might want to use is allowed. All you can do is post it and hope for the best.

try ripping an older CD, from before they incorporated the copyright protection into them. I think that worked for me a while back, not sure if youtube got smarter about detecting CR music in videos. but also be careful, if I recall you get a few warnings, then they eventually shut down your account for a few months.

here's a short vid I added one of the free music options youtube offers when you upload a vid.

http://youtu.be/8TbHddq-6PA
This was a test of the gopro just after I got it.

If you look at that on a PC, you will see that the copyright owner of Yakkety Sax or whatever choose to monetize my use of their work by providing a link to purchase it. I was subsequently granted a license automatically for this use.

And wtf is wrong with these boys? ;)

You could always use vimeo, dropbox, or just host it yourself.

That doesn't do it. As someone else pointed out, it's entirely up to the music owner to decide the licensing scheme. And there has never been a way to search to see if the music you might want to use is allowed. All you can do is post it and hope for the best.

Yeah, what may have happened is that Google has a system in place with copyright holders that detects the material and produces revenue for it that the copyright holders have agreed to accept for the use on You Tube. That would be a simple way to solve the issue to everyone's satisfaction.

Youtube's music recognition system has gotten pretty crazy. It doesn't matter what your source was, they'll pick up on it. Even music in the background of an old VHS home movie rip I've had recognized.

Unfortunately, this has led to what I call "claim trolling" issues. I had an original video of a 150+ year old song, completely public domain, played on an instrument live, and someone claimed copyright on it. I was able to appeal and release it after a few days, but in the meantime someone got those ad revenues. I started using some royalty free music I purchased 8 years ago.. still got a claim, I had to appeal it, and someone made money off the ads in the time it took to release it.

As for the copyright issues, strikes, warnings, you really don't have to worry about that for the music on your video the way things stand. Your video may have ads added, may not work on a phone, and may even be silenced, but just uploading a video with copyrighted music isn't going to endanger your account.

Yeah, what may have happened is that Google has a system in place with copyright holders that detects the material and produces revenue for it that the copyright holders have agreed to accept for the use on You Tube. That would be a simple way to solve the issue to everyone's satisfaction.

Yup, that's exactly what happened. Some copyright holders say "any use is ok", some said "they can use our stuff, but youtube puts ads and links on it" and some have said "no".

And their algorithms for detecting music are pretty spiffy. You have to modify the sound to the point of being almost unrecognizable before they are fooled. At which point the copyright holders goal has been achieved!

Vimeo. It is just better.

Vimeo has *far* fewer viewers. If you want your video viewed "organically" then you need to be on youtube.

But, I think your point was more focused on music, which sadly is changing. Vimeo has been phasing in a system similar to youtube's. Don't expect your videos with unlicensed music to skate under the radar at vimeo forever.

Back