GPS Direct or: How I Stopped Worrying and Learned to Love the Magenta Line

When I first flew IFR to Dallas (Addison, KADS to be precise) in 2014, I spent a good amount of time studying Denver's and Dallas' STARs and DPs. Same with Houston and even Tulsa. I had my procedures picked out by which ones came closest to approximating a direct route. I have almost always filed a procedure if an appropriate one is available because I know that if I don't, at least in Class B cities, I'm getting a DP (or an annoying full route clearance) anyway.

It used to be a moderate to large PITA to review all the procedures in FF to figure out which ones to use on arrival and departure. Their procedure planner made that a lot easier IMHO. (They could make it easier still by separating all those "Turbojet Only" procedures.)

But the point is that when you fly IFR into big cities you do yourself a huge favor by becoming familiar with the procedures there.
You can email them and make the suggestion.

Must have been the same folks that wrote the Instrument Procedures Handbook, too.

That wouldn't surprise me.

From page 1-25:

"If you cannot comply with a SID, if you do not possess the
charted SID procedure, or if you simply do not wish to
use SIDs, include the statement “NO SIDs” in the remarks
section of your flight plan."

Can you cite any source that contradicts what is stated in the AIM or Instrument Procedures Handbook?
FAA Order jo 7110.65 Air Traffic Control

4−3−3. ABBREVIATED DEPARTURE CLEARANCE

NOTE−
SIDs are excluded from “cleared as filed” procedures.

2. If a pilot does not wish to accept an ATC clearance to
fly a SID, he/she is expected to advise ATC or state

“NO SID” in his/her flight plan remarks.

I know I'm taking this thread slightly off course, but I'm trying to understand how what my CFII taught me was wrong when the AIM and IPH agree with him.
What precisely did your CFII tell you? That you do not have to accept the SID in the abbreviated format has already been made clear. If you cannot accept the procedure called for in the SID in non-abbreviated format you may not be able to depart under current conditions

Becoming familiar with departure procedures ahead of time is no doubt good advice, but some airports use unpublished ones. See the attached ASRS report for an example.

Attachments

• ASRS Database Online - Results Display.pdf
    56.5 KB · Views: 36
Becoming familiar with departure procedures ahead of time is no doubt good advice, but some airports use unpublished ones. See the attached ASRS report for an example.

WTF? Go down to the mailbox by the old Johnson place, then turn right where the fire hydrant is. When you get to where the 7-11 used to be climb to 2100 feet, expect 5000 in ten minutes.

Re: GPS Direct or: How I Stopped Worrying and Learned to Love the Magenta Lin

WTF? Go down to the mailbox by the old Johnson place, then turn right where the fire hydrant is. When you get to where the 7-11 used to be climb to 2100 feet, expect 5000 in ten minutes.

If you read the departure minimums, the ODP on SQL rwy 30 is very simple: NA.

The CF clearance Tower gives you is rather precisely a right downwind VFR departure to the 30 numbers, followed by radar vectors, and would probably be much clearer if it were labeled as such.

IMO, the published DP should say visual right downwind departure, NA when tower is closed.

Last edited:
I should add that I'm not completely negative on bashing the guy. He clearly needs some refresher training. IFR is a complicated world and it's easy to lose skills that aren't used often

Yeah, I think IFR skills are more perishable than most flying skills. I'm instrument rated, and came back to flying after taking a number of years off following the acquisition of my instrument rating. I only fly VFR right now, and will freely admit that I'd need some real practice to get back up to speed before flying in the system again.

Back