GFC 500 issues

I also had to have one of my G5s replaced twice, both under warranty. And the cooling fan in one of my GTN650s (also installed in 2019)
Haven’t had the GTN650 fan go out yet. Does it give an indication, or is this just something the avionics shop found?

Haven’t had the GTN650 fan go out yet. Does it give an indication, or is this just something the avionics shop found?
The "MSG" icon lights up and when you press it you get a "FAN FAILED" message

It's a $20 fan but it's mounted in the tray, not the GTN650, and replacing it involves removing the tray out the front of the panel

My GTN650 was no more than 2 years old when it failed, just barely out of warranty. Garmin didn't cover it.

Reactions: Jdm
Thanks.. We’ve had our 650xi since they first came out. Had to wait on the initial batch to be released and delivered. Zero issues. Got G5s and a GI 275 at the same time. No issues there either. I do favor the 275 over the G5s.

It's a $20 fan but it's mounted in the tray, not the GTN650, and replacing it involves removing the tray out the front of the panel
The backplate (which the fan is attached to) can be removed from the tray, without needing to uninstall the tray from the panel, as long as you have access and a long #1 Phillips.

More than an annoyance for GFC500 downtime and repairs, this is a serious safety factor, especially in IMC. Roll the dice. Wow.

Back